What's new

Polk LSi vs Axiom ? (1 Viewer)

WayneW

Auditioning
Hi All,
Over the past couple of months, I've started building an HT setup, starting with sources and ending with the speakers. After many days of research, auditions and purchases, I am finally on the last leg of my fun albeit expensive journey. I have narrowed down my speaker choices to either the Polk LSi line or the Axiom line -- specifically Polk's LSi 15 Towers with matching LSi center vs. the Axiom M50s and VP150 center. Given my equipment list and room dimensions, can any one give me some insight/advice?
Preamp/Processor : Rotel RSP-1066
Amplifiers : Acurus 125x5 5 Channel Amp (Center, Surrounds), *Parasound Halo A23 125x2 (Mains)
Sources : Toshiba SD4700 DVD Player
Monitor : 53" Panasonic RPTV HD 16:9 Monitor
Subwoofer : Sunfire True Sub Jr.
I will most likely go with matching surrounds once I've decided on the two mains and centers, as those are my primary concern right now. The Parasound is still up in the air, I may still go with an Arcam FMJ25, which puts out less power but is probably a better sounding unit...I am also concerned which amp (Arcam or Parasound) will match better with the Acurus/Rotel combo. I may also opt for a second Sunfire Junior, if the low frequencies don't fill in well.
This is primarily an HT setup, but it will see some use as a music system as well, especially with dvd-a and music dvd's, or even the occassional cd. My room area isn't very large, as I live in a rowhouse in the city. It's an area measuring approx. 17' x 13' with an open walk way and kitchen/barstool counter on one of the longer sides of the room.
I can audition the Polks at my local dealer (Soundscape of Baltimore) and I even have a contact within the Polk organization itself (HQ'd in Baltimore). My interest in Axioms, on the otherhand, result from reading through many a review and thread across the net and finding only good things said about them. The price difference isn't huge, as I can get the Polks for about ~1400 for the LSi 15's and center (from acousticsounddesign), which is only ~400 more than the Axioms, so I am mainly concerned about the quality of the sound -- clarity/detail of highs and mids, and tightness (quality) of bass. Any advice would be hugely appreciated :) Thanks!

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
if you're going to spend that much on the LSi 15, then you should definitly consider the axiom m80s. someone did a pretty lengthy comparison with axiom towers and posted it on the axiom messageboards.
The big showdown: M40 vs M50 vs M80 (VERY LONG)
i suggest buying the m80s, then compare them to the LSi 15. then give us a review if you're up to it : )~

jad

Agent
I've only heard the lsi 15's in the store but they did sound very musical and I believe they would have the edge over the axioms. I did a home audition on the axiom m60 and was not impressed and returned them. Way too bright in my system with not much driver integration. Others however been more impressed.

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
it could have just been room placement. i know axioms are, and i've heard the m80s especially have this problem.

btw, what's your setup, jad? some people dont like bright speakers, and im curious as to what you prefer.

jad

Agent
Room placement could be partially at fault as I was listening fairly nearfield at 7' away with the speakers 6' apart. Perhaps they needed a bigger room. Still, most other speakers work fine with this setup. I've just never heard multi-driver speakers sound as coherent as simpler designs, especially at that price point.

Yuli

Agent
I auditioned the Axiom M40s M50s and M60s and ended up buying the M60s. Very nice speakers and sound better than the M50s (in my opinion). I couldn't listen to the M80s but they would be overkill for my room size anyway (20x18). I've never heard the Polk LSi, but if you go with Axiom, i can tell you that they are some great sounding speakers in that price range.

WayneW

Auditioning
I've been shying away from the M80's specifically because my room is only medium sized and has some awkward openings/doorways. I've heard that the M80's are terribly hard to place and need a lot of room, but if done correctly they would sound great. Can any M80 owner confirm this? If anyone thinks it'll fit okay in my room, I'm more than willing to get a pair, try them out and then throw up a comparo with the Polk LSi's.

Otherwise, I am leaning towards a pair of M60s even though I would love to be able to plop a pair of M80s in the room. I'm just afraid it won't have enough breathing space. I am also thinking about moving my Sunfire True Sub Jr. to my music system and perhaps getting a svs 16-46 cs+ or 20-39 cs+, not sure of which one yet, however.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
According to Ian at Axiom, the M60's sound pretty much the same as the M80's, except that they can't go quite as loud. Unless you have a large room and want to get really loud the M60's should be fine.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of LSi15's in my HT setup, and I must say they are very nice. Just let them break in for a while, they're like fine wine... they get better with age :)
But seriously, you can't go wrong with the LSi's
Brian

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Hi WayneW,

How is that Parasound Halo doing? Are you happy with it? Did you audition several other 2 channel amps?

Greetz,

Armand

Bob Goodrich

Agent
Wayne,
Did you have a chance to compare Polk's Lsi15's and their Rti150's??? I'm shopping and have the 15's on my short list but haven't heard their 150's. If you/anyone could give me some feedback I'd appreciate it.

Matt D K

Stunt Coordinator
The 150's aren't even in the same class as the LSi's I have the LSi 15's and am continually amazed with them

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
WayneW,
Another vote for the Lsi's. I've got the 15's in my HT as well as the LsiC, LsiFX, and Lsi7's. The performance is nothing short of superb! I cannot comment on the Axiom line, I've never heard them. Check out this article, it's another review, but still interesting.
http://www.onhifi.com/product.shtml
I agree with Matt, the Rt150's are not even close to the Lsi series. They are great speakers, but the Lsi series outclasses them hands down.
Good luck with your upgrade. Be sure to let us know what you end up with.

Steve Alan

Agent
Just want to chime in with another thumbs down on the RTI 150's. The highs are just to overbearing at normal volume, and harsh at higher volumes. At $1500/pair list price you are probably better off going with the LSI's.

Outlaw 1050
Polk Rt800i
Polk cs400i
Infinity Overture 1s (rear)
SVS 2039cs

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
I'll vote LSi, but the truth be told, I have not heard Axiom, and just by looking at their webpage, let me tell you, thats a really good bang for the buck, they have running.

Has anyone here listened to both lines, and tell us the difference? Thanks.

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
I can not offer a comparison on the Axiom or Lsi towers.
I do have Axiom M3ti bookshelf speakers (very well reviewed) and Polk Lsi-9 bookshelf speakers.
The Lsi's win - Better bass and midrange at moderate volume, depth of sound - :emoji_thumbsup:
Even though the Axiom's deliver very good detail they just sound thin compared to the Polk's.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I do have Axiom M3ti bookshelf speakers (very well reviewed) and Polk Lsi-9 bookshelf speakers. The Lsi's win - Better bass and midrange at moderate volume, depth of sound -
Steve, in the interest of full disclosure, it should be pointed out that the Lsi-9's are $900 per pair at Crutchfield, while the M3ti's are $275 per pair at Axiom, so the Lsi-9's should sound better for that price difference. Even assuming the Lsi-9's can be had for less than $900 per pair, they would still likely be quite a bit more expensive than Axiom's M22, which is their best bookshelf. I have heard the Lsi-9's, and they are excellent speakers. But I ended up buying the Axiom M22's, because they are truly impressive speakers for under $400 a pair. Yes, a little less bassy and punchy than the Lsi-9's, but very smooth, detailed sound nonetheless. You can't go wrong with either the Lsi's or Axioms, but what someone is willing to spend would likely be the deciding factor, because the Polk's are definitely more expensive.

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
in the interest of full disclosure, it should be pointed out that the Lsi-9's are $900 per pair at Crutchfield, while the M3ti's are $275 per pair at Axiom, so the Lsi-9's should sound better for that price difference. Even assuming the Lsi-9's can be had for less than $900 per pair,
I ordered the Lsi-9's through www.acousticsounddesign.com for 660.00 - including shiping.
Just trying to offer a comparison between the two brands of speakers with similar sized drivers. Also the M3ti's are a Two way vs the Lsi's Three way speaker design.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Also the M3ti's are a Two way vs the Lsi's Three way speaker design.
Actually it looks like they'r 2 1/2 way speakers based on the spec. And $660 is still over twice the price of the M3ti's, and several hundred more than the M22ti's. That's not to say the LSi's aren't good speakers, but just because they have similar drivers sizes doesn't mean it's really a fair comparison. I'm sure with a little research you could find speakers with similar driver sizes that cost several times as much as the LSi's and put them to shame, but that wouldn't be fair either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks