What's new

Axiom vs. Energy (1 Viewer)

Micah Wells

Agent
I am trying to decide which "budget" line of speakers I should go with. I am building my HT form the ground up and want a good system, but like everyone else I am on a budget. I cannot say exactly what the budget is, because if a certain piece of the puzzle is worth it, I will spend a little more and wait a little longer to have my complete system in place. I have auditioned B+W 601 and 602's (upper end of my bank acount), Energy Connoisseur C-3's and am looking at the Axiom m22ti's. Of course I cannot audition the Axiom's, but I would welcome any feedback from anyone that has heard these speakers. Any other opinions are welcome.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I am not a fan of B&W's 600 series. Bass is muddy and loose (boomy). Imaging and clarity is average at best. IMO, B&W doesn't begin to get good until you get into their CDM NT series.

I pretty much have the same sentiments for Energy's Conn. series regarding bass. I don't care for the midrange either....sounds muttled to me with poor separation.

IMO, Axiom is readily the better of the three. What bass the M22 does have is clean and accurate. Midrange has excellent punch with solid imaging and soundstage. Highs are detailed with excellent clarity. The M22's are very accurate; no rolled-off highs nor bass/mid emphasis. Pair the M22's with a good sub and you have an amazing system.

If you havn't already, head on over to the Axiom forum (axiomaudio.com). Lately, I have noticed many new Axiom owners on the board who were in your shoes not long ago. Use them as a resource by asking for comparisons or even any general question you might have. The Axiom forum is a friendly and knowledgable place.

I was in your same exact position a little while back. I listened to the B&W 600 series, the Energy C-3's and the Axiom M22ti's. (I actually listened to a bunch more as well)

Here are my impressions.

B&W - Look nice. Well built. Really muddy sound. Not very clear at all. :thumbsdown:

Energy C-3 - Look nice. Well built. Excellent clarity. Decent low end for a budget bookshelf speaker. :emoji_thumbsup:

Axiom M22ti - Looks average. Well built. AMAZING clarity. Clean, clean sound from high to low. Doesn't go as low as the Energy's or B&W's, but more than likely you'll be using a subwoofer with any of these anyway.

The Axiom's are also $100+ less expensive.

What I ended up doing is buying a pair of the C-3's, AND a pair of the Axiom M22's and bringing them home. I a/b'd them side by side, and the Axioms were better (to my ears). I brought the Energy's back for a refund and kept the Axioms. I recommend the same. Listen to a bunch of speakers. Bring home the pair you like best, and then order a pair of the Axioms. Listen to both and return the one you don't like as well.

Hope this helps.

Micah Wells

Agent
Thank you both for the info. I think that I will follow your lead, Craig. Since I can't audition the Axioms, I will probably order them and test them in my house next to another pair. I liked the way the Energy's sounded, but that could very well change once I get them into my room. Listening to them side by side should relieve any anxieties about whether or not I chose the right pair.

Mike Co

Agent
How about the smaller Axiom's? Similar mid-high? With a sub, is there a benefit to twin mid-range drivers?

The M22ti seems to be the speaker of choice for multiple applications. Used in a small room, it can get by without a sub. (Though it'll never really give you that much depth) But paired with a sub, it's just as terrific for 2 channel (2.1) stereo, as it is for HT.

The M3ti seems to be used mostly for people in smaller rooms for 2 channel stereo, sans sub. It's the "bedroom" speaker.

The M2i is most commonly used as rear channels in a 7.1 setup. Superb clarity, and detail, with little low end. Paired with a good sub, these are also used as a sub/sat setup, but people tend to prefer the M22's.

Micah Wells

Agent
What if I threw the Rocket's into the mix? I've read that the Rocket's are a little warmer than the Axiom's, I don't want something that will fatigue your ears when you watch a movie or listen to music.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

REALLY? the bedroom speaker?

I've been waffling back and forth for so long and kinda decided on the M3 and vp100(poss 150) with my sub for the boomies
now I'm all F@#&*ed up

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin...get the VP150 center channel is so worth it, this thing is great.

I have heard the C5 and M22 (I own these) M22 with a sub sounds great, but is too thin on bass by itself (I love bass) C5 is ok. good mids and highs (not as clean as the m22s) bass not that tight, but if by itself probably better because of the bass. M22 is fine (actually awesome) when used with a sub though. This is what I settled on.

For a stand alone, you might be better with a M3, they are supposed to have better mid bass, at a reduction in midrange clarity (still supposed to be good).

Really best to have a sub and the M22s...

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Ditto exactly what Paul said. I own both the M3's and the M22's, and the M22's are more forward and detailed, while the M3's are a bit more bloated in the mid-bass region. I prefer the sound of the M22's, so I use them in my main system with an SVS sub. The combo is outstanding. The M3's are great also and I use them in my bedroom, but when pairing with a sub, the M22's win out, at least to me. And, the VP150 is an excellent center channel--get it over the VP100.

Micah, I have never heard the Rockets, so I can't comment on them. But, rest assured, while some people find the Axioms bright, they are not fatiguing unless you are constantly listening to harsh recordings. I have found their performance for movies and music are very strong and never fatiguing.

I've heard the Rocket RS150's side by side with the M22's and they're pretty awful. Nicely made. Great to look at, but absolutely no high end to speak of. Midrange clarity is average.

It sounds like a damp towel has been drapped over the speaker.

Micah Wells

Agent
Jeffrey and Craig-

I'm glad to hear that you still think that the Axioms are what I'm looking for. I know that I have to be the judge once I set them up, but it sounds like the M22's are my best bet. I really appreciate all of your help in this process (which is never really completed).

Just a side note- I am planning on putting a the sony sub with this system, until I can afford the SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks