What's new

Monitor Audio B4 vs Paradigm M7 vs Axiom (1 Viewer)

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I was at my local Good Guys yesterday and they've begun to carry Monitor Audio speakers. I was looking at the Bronze B4 model and compared them to the Energy C-5, XL-250 and Klipsch RF-15 towers which were in the same sound room. The MA speakers sounded smoother overall to me with much tighter bass than the other 3 models. All speakers were powered by a Denon 4802 receiver. I'm not familiar with Monitor Audio but read some reviews online and they seem to be very well liked speakers, especially the Silver and Gold lines. The Bronze is their entry level but they go for $600 pair and sound very nice.

Other speakers I'm interested in but GG didn't carry are the Axiom M-50 and the Paradigm Monitor 7. I definitely want floor standing speakers and they will most likely be powered by a Denon 2803 or perhaps the new Onkyo 701 or its Integra brethren. The room is 20x13 and will most likely be used 70/30 HT vs music. I would also buy the corresponding center channel from MA, Axiom or Paradigm. I'll look at surround speakers later because the room has in-wall speakers at the back of the room already. If they don't match up well, I'll replace them.

I know there's plenty of knowledge about Axiom and Paradigm speakers. Axiom has a great track record for customer service and has the 30 trial period. I can find the Paradigm locally and I believe the dealer only carries Onkyo and Integra receivers. I'll recheck that tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience with Monitor Audio? Am I comparing roughly equivalent speakers? Thanks for any and all responses.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
My search lead me to audition many speakers including Klipsch and Paradigm. Lucky for me, one of my local shops had the Monitor Audio line. For my taste the Klipsch were too bright; the Paradigm’s sounded good but the MA’s sounded great. For me it came down to the MA and B&W’s (If you enjoyed the sound for the MA’s I suggest you find a store that carries B&W also) I really enjoy the laid back, smooth, warm feeling these speakers give.
I ended up with the Silver S8’s and SLCR (current Infinity Sterling TS for rear surrounds).
Had the speakers now for just over 4 months and couldn’t be happier!!!!
I am running them with a Denon 3803 and they sound better in my home than at the store. Vocals are extremely precise and detailed, great midrange along with the smooth, warm characteristics that made me look at MA in the first place. The S8’s have (2) 6” bass drivers but still put out a considerable about of lows. I bought a Velodyne HGS-15 for more bottom end punch and together they sound incredible.
During movies the SLCR is exceptionally clear, always sounds natural and blends seamlessly with the S8’s.
MA isn’t a mainstream brand but does have a great reputation with many favorable reviews and awards. 5 months ago I hadn’t heard of them but today I’m a huge advocate. After listening to more than 15 different speakers my ears sold me on them and I couldn’t be happier. They also look great (clean, conservative, slim design, great fit and finish) that makes the wife happy.

Kevin

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Kevin,
Thanks for your response. I'm pretty sold on the Bronze Series MA's. The Bronze 4 also has the two 6" woofers like your Silver 8's. They're also bi-wire or biampable. I love the sleek look and the smooth accurate sound. I didn't care for the Klipsch either. They are too bright for my taste. I'm going to listen to the Paradigms tomorrow.

I'm looking at the Velodyne CHT-8 or CHT-10 as a sub. I think the 12 would be overkill. Your HGS-15 has got to be HUGE! The MA's have nice tight bass on their own, so the Velo should be a great match.

Thanks again for your input.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I think the 12 would be overkill. Your HGS-15 has got to be HUGE!
If size is the issue the CHT 10" [(H/W/D): 16.25" x 15" x 19.75"] and the CHT 12" [(H/W/D): 18" x 15" x 21" aren't that far off from one another. If you can swing it go for the 12".
My personal opinion is you can't have "overkill." Considering your primary use will be for HT, the larger the driver and more air you can push the better. The larger sub will also allow you to drive it harder without over working it. Go compare to the 10" and 12". The difference will be very noticeable.
I personally wanted the HGS18 but my wife drew the line with a 19" box. The HGS18 (23.5"x 21.25"x 18.5") is "HUGE" in her opinion.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks