What's new

Awesome DVDS for Kids? (1 Viewer)

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
It's very hard to predict what small children will find scary or not. My son (age 5) is a complete Star Wars nut, and is fascinated by Darth Vader--but he begs me to skip the part of the Thomas the Tank Engine Movie with the "scary diesel". Go figure. If you asked me, the scariest part of that movie is the very pudgy Alec Baldwin as the conductor. (Although Didi Conn as the station manager and Peter Fonda as the grownup-boy-who-loved-trains-but-now-seems-to-be-clinically-depressed are plenty scary, too.)

My son loves the Iron Giant, and I have to say that (next to the Toy Story movies) I find it one of the best children's movies of all times--an inspired combination of a serious message and great entertainment. Like some other films in discussion around here, it didn't find an audience--a bit too scary, and too deep, for little kids, I suspect it wasn't "cool" enough for bigger kids. Not enough senseless violence, I suppose. I also suspect some on the conservative side of the religious/political spectrum would not be keen on the film's "you are who you choose to be" message. Also, young children are likely to be disturbed by the culmination of the plot in the military sending a nuke after the Iron Giant--and through error targeting the town.
The video and audio quality are extremely good, with some good surround effects when the Giant discovers he can fly.

I found Wallace & Gromit laugh out loud hilarious. The video quality is fine, if one keeps in mind that these were shot for exhibition on the BBC and (I suspect) the first was probably done on a shoestring budget. I can't say as I noticed a difference between the original DVD release and the new one, which has a few extras not included on the original. The audio is only passable. I believe the first feature may have been recorded in mono, while I noticed stereo effects in at least one (maybe the last two). In terms of content, the first film (A Grand Day Out) is completely innocuous, the story of Wallace's efforts to reach the moon to obtain a resupply of his favorite comestible, cheese. The second (The Wrong Trousers), involves a lodger taken in by Wallace and Gromit who turns out to be a penguin gone bad. The film is a wicked sendup of/homage to any number of heist movies. There is a bit of cartoon gunplay (no one gets hurt) and when my son first saw it (age 3) he found the jewel heist scene almost too suspenseful. The third film is potentially the scariest, and is in part a dead on parody of (believe it or not) The Terminator. As with all the films, no one gets hurt--with the exception of the cyborg
--and it is even more outrageously funny if you get the Terminator reference.

Other kid friendly flicks that haven't been discussed are all the classic musicals. The Sound of Music is too cloying for some--I've always had a warm spot in my heart for it--but one movie I had no memory of from my childhood, and which seems sensational to me now, is The Music Man. It's a sensational disc from Warner as well, and the source material has a more sophisticated sense of humor about it that adults may find more pleasing.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe I forgot to mention Star Wars: The Phantom Menace! My son talks about it as "his movie". :)
Also, Stuart Little is an excellent choice, although Stephen seems to be bored with it.
He still doesn't like either Shrek or Chicken Run, though! :confused:

Tommy G

Screenwriter
The ones my kids watch over and over (they are 7 and 4) are Shrek, Spy Kids, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (watch out for this one P&S only), and Veggie Tales: Lyle The Kindly Viking.

Greg W L

Agent
A second vote for Sound of Music, my daughters fav. Also Mary Poppins, but not sure if it is on DVD, the tape is almost worn out. Spy Kids and Chicken Run are also favourites.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Mary Poppins has actually been released twice on DVD in R1. Once in a very bare bones single layer release, and more recently on a dual layer release with a handful of extras. It looks and sounds a bit overprocessed, but the image is very clean and it is, of course, a wonderful film.

Regards,

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
While my son's a bit older (11 on Wednesday), his standard favorites are Toy Story 1 & 2, Shrek, Tron, Titan A.E. (not for younger kids, IMO), Song of the South (not DVD, but I had to mention it), and most recently the Walt Disney Treasures: Davy Crockett. I thought he might not get into Davy Crockett, but he absolutely loves the ones we've watched so far. In fact, last night:he actually cried over episode 3: Davy at the Alamo. This is the first movie he's cried over since Old Yeller.

I call the above his "standard" favorites because my son actually has an extremely varied and relatively mature taste in movies. He's a Kurosawa nut, with Seven Samurai being his favorite. He's also a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock, and prefers his older, B&W films, especially 39 Steps. He's recently learned to enjoy the Hitchcock movies even more by trying to beat me at spotting Hitch in the movies. He likes old westerns, especially Clint Eastwood. He likes watching foreign films, and doesn't mind the subtitels, but has a little more difficulty with silent films. I told him I thought they were similar to foreign films because you still have to read what the people are saying, but he said he likes the foreign movies better because the people are actually talking. The only exception to this is The Lost World (1925), which fascinated him. He often prefers B&W over color, and will point out scenes in movies that he feels would look better in B&W. I explained the whole colorization thing to him (after seeing the commercials for the Shirley Temple movies), and two of his favorite catch-phrases now are "Ted Turner is the devil" and "Look! They've got gray teeth!"

The only genre he's not a big fan of is musicals. While he enjoys all the old singing cowboy movies, and doesn't mind the musical sequences in the Marx Brothers movies, he just doesn't get regular musicals. I'll not try to force them on him, but I always invite him to watch them with me when I put them on. Aside from Oliver! (and the Blues Brothers, if you want to consider it a musical), he hasn't really developed a liking for them.

His favorite movie of all time, by the way, is We're No Angels with Humphrey Bogart (even moreso than Star Wars). We're hoping and praying that this makes it to DVD, and sooner than later.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interesting topic.
I took a different approach with my grandchildren (now 5 of them ranging in ages from 0-5 yrs. old).
Some of their favorites are
The Sound of Music
The Music Man
Singing in the Rain
etc...
Get the drift? Much better in my mind than the Barneys of the world.
;)
Of course, when Sponge Bob, Square Pants comes out, all bets may be off.
:laugh:

R

RossTerry

How about Pee Wee's Big Adventure

with the exception of the large marge scene and possibly the clowns in the dream

Jeffrey S

Stunt Coordinator
My 4-yr old daughter likes the Cirque De Soliel (spelling?) videos. Also, Barbie's Nutcracker.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Our 2.5 and 4.5 year old are big on the Disney Treasure's Mickey Mouse in Living Color and Silly Symphonies right now. Amazing that 65 year old cartoons still entertain kids today. The approximate 9 minute length of each one is good for them too, especially when time constraints don't permit a full movie.

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
My 2.5 year old loves:

TS 1&2

Bug's Life

Shrek

Mary Poppins

Sound of Music (music scenes only)

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

...and believe it or not LOVES the final show in Waiting for Guffman. She knows all the words and dance moves. Please remember, the rest of the movie is not for kids.

Jeff

StephenA

Screenwriter
I second the Adventures of Milo and Otis. I love this film, which is one of my all time favorite films, and I'm 22. I even own it on DVD. it's great for all ages I think.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I watched Milo & Otis with my daughter, and would recommend it for others. My wife, who did not watch it with us, however, was dumbfounded when my daughter informed her that she saw the dog "poop the babies". :)
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayrel2015
Recent bookmarks