What's new

Awesome DVDS for Kids? (1 Viewer)

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
I presently have Shrek, TS2, and A Bug's Life. What am I missing? I prefer animated DVD/s. My kids are small, with the oldest being 3 1/2. I am interested in good audio since that is the only part I can handle. :)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I have a 3 year old girl.

She loves the following:

James and the Giant Peach (my favorite)

Toy Story 1 and 2

All the Disney titles (Tarzan, Hercules, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, etc) The modern ones have great sound (Emperor's New Groove).

She also enjoys the following non-animated titles: Willie Wonka, Madeline,

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Can't go wrong with The Princess Bride and Iron Giant. Also Space Jam. But my kids all time favorite, and also mine, is the Beatles Yellow Submarine. All the kids in the neighborhood love that one!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Chicken Run

The Incredible Adventures of Wallace & Gromit (audio is good, not spectacular, but you will enjoy the films yourself, so don't worry!)

Yellow Submarine

The Muppet Movie is good, but the A/V presentation is just so-so.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Can't go wrong with The Princess Bride and Iron Giant.
These are both great and are favorites of my family, but have a couple of moments that were a bit tense for my daughter when she was under three (Inigo's revenge & pit of despair from the former and giant attacking from the latter). YMMV, of course. The Wizard of Oz is another one like that as well.

Regards,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
My daughter was disturbed by the giant rat in Princess Bride.
How is The Incredible Adventures of Wallace & Gromit ?? I saw that in the rental place but wasn't sure of its intended audience.
I bought The Muppet Movie but my daughter wasn't interested in the least. And you're right, the A/V qualitty is lackluster. I also bought her The Tigger Movie but she's never been enthralled with Pooh.
Oh yeah, she loved Elmo in Grouchland but is becoming less enamored with Sesame Street in general. I might check out Follow That Bird that comes out on Tuesday. Advertised as the first Sesame Street movie.
Can't wait to get Monsters, Inc.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have yet to meet anyone of any age who has not enjoyed the Wallace & Gromit films. Of course, I just read a thread in polls where someone claimed that the Godfather was one of the worst films of all time, so there's bound to be someone out there. :) There are three 30 minute films on the disc. The first one, "A Grand Day Out" is merely very good. The second two, "The Wrong Trousers" & "A Close Shave" are sheer bliss. Charming, clever, and very funny.
Regards,

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
My (almost) 3-year old niece loves watching these:
The Little Rascals (there's a great Canadian-exclusive 6-disc set from Cabin Fever)
Cats & Dogs
The Grinch

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Iron Giant as this is not only a good kids movie, but I rather enjoyed it myself. My Daughter loves The Wizard of Oz and Yellow Submarine;) :frowning: ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Indian in the Cupboard - although I have never actually seen the DVD so I can't say how it looks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My son just turned 4 last week. His favorites:
  • Anything Transformers or Beast Wars: Transformers (2 volumes of BW:T for R1 are in Canada; Vol. 1 was *just* released in USA)
  • Anything Batman (including the Adam West/Burt Ward movie as well as the cartoons)
  • Superman: The Movie and sequels (including Supergirl)
  • Bear in the Big Blue House
  • Underdog
  • Myriads of Sesame Street and Elmo releases on DVD
  • DragonTales
  • Pink Panther: Jet Pink
  • The Iron Giant
  • Anything Scooby-Doo
  • Thomas The Tank Engine
  • Land of the Lost
  • H.R. Pufnstuf
  • The 2 Rugrats films
  • The various Muppet films, plus The Muppet Show has 10 best-of discs available at TIMELIFE.COM
  • Digimon
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • G.I. Joe: The Movie
  • Felix the Cat
  • Disney, Disney, Disney of course! :D
  • ...and The Simpsons! :b

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Nightmare Before Christmas
James & The Giant Peach
Cats & Dogs (I was really suprised how much I enjoyed this)
Anything with Muppets
Toy Story 1 & 2
Batman:Mask of the Phantasm
Babe
Babe 2 (May be a bit dark for some kids)
Chicken Run
Di$ney movies
Mystery Men
Underdog is on DVD?!?! :eek: :eek:

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
For somewhat older kids (5 and up; younger kids may find these dull) two of my and my daughter's favorites are:

Searching for Bobby Fischer

October Sky

Both are similar in that they show smart kids engaged in an intellectual activity (chess and rocketry, respectively). October Sky has some potentially disturbing events but my daughter was never bothered by this movie. SBF has a reference to drug use but only in passing.

For cartoons, Iron Giant, which I like, should be fine for any age.

Among modern Disney films, I second nominations for Hercules (not anamorphic, unfortunately) and Emperor's New Groove, two of my favorites and frequently overlooked. Pocahontas, aside from being not very good, has a bad DVD transfer.

My daughter really likes Quest for Camelot; nice music but serious, serious problems otherwise.

Finally, my daughter is scared of Chicken Run and some kids may find the Wallace and Gromit movies scary as well. The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave are mock Hitchcock complete with scary music and that may frighten some kids (even though the villain is a penguin pretending to be a chicken).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Patrick,I saw Iron Giant with my daughter when she was three. There were two specific scenes that upset her. One involved the Giant being caught up in some high tension electrical wires (it was very loud and the giant seemed scary at that point in the film), and another where the giant gets upset and starts attacking a bunch of military vehicles that have been antagonizing it.
That being said, after we got home from the theater, she frequently wanted to play "You're the Giant and I'm Hogarth" with me in our back yard. :)
IMHO, Iron Giant and Toy Story 2 are the best animated feature films released in the 90s (with Beauty and the Beast, Princess Mononoke, and Toy Story not far behind).
The scenes I mentioned were probably scarier in a darkened theater than they would be at home.
Regards,

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
- Tarzan

- The Emperor's New Groove

- Hercules

- Chicken Run

- The Iron Giant

Then there's Atlantis and Dinosaur????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks