What's new

Avia system/sub calibration help (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for some help calibrating my system/sub. I got the Avia disc and the RS SPL meter.

From what I understand I calibrate all the speakers to 85db. This isn't that hard. Where my uestion is .... is about the sub level.

I have my mains set to small so that I get sub output through the sub w/ the Avia disc. What db level should I be shooting for w/ my sub? I know the sub reads low on the meter.

Also is it better to have the gain down and the signal at +/- 0db on the reciever.

Currently I set the sub calibrated to 5db over the mains (90db) and the gain is 1/4 the way up while the reciever is set to -8db for the sub level.

FYI, the sub is an Velodyne SPL-1200 mated w/ a Marantz SR-7000 Reciever in a 13x19 room.

Thanks ....

SteveAZ

Auditioning
With the pink noise from avai, the sub calibration comes out 2-3db hot. With your sub at 90db, you are running about 7-8db hot. If you want it to run flat with your mains, you need to set it up to read about 82db. Most people like to run their subs a little hot, especially if you don't listen at reference levels. I set mine so it reads 85db with my mains. That means I'm running about 2-3db hot.

You really just want to compromise between the settings in the receiver sub output and the gain on the sub. You don't want settings near the minimum or maximum of their respective ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks