What's new

The Avengers (2012) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
Chuck- really cogent points you made- I'm not as well versed on the Avengers as I am other properties- but what you say makes absolute sense. I would like to think that Marvel understands this also and wouldn't have brought anyone on board that wasn't in synch with this view. We keep being told they have a vision, so all these guys are basically work-for-hire craftsmen. If the film does try to force in the outsider/underdog paradigm with this group then I will have to lay a good part of the blame at Marvel, as they had to have heard the right things coming from JW to have signed off on him.
As far as the budget issues go- as this gets rolling, Marvel will have two other big films in production. They are borrowing the money to finance these, and will be paying interest on that money regardless of how well the films do. And one or all of them could fail to catch fire. That is a HUGE gamble to be making with borrowed money so even if they could finance $250 million for one of the films alone, I highly doubt they will. I fully expect them to try to make this on the cheap. I'm actually just fine with that. The plays the thing for me. If the characters are sympathetic, the conflict juicy, and the plotting involving, I'm fine. I would prefer it not to look too small scale, but I understand that there are limitations and if there have to be I would rather it be with the scope of the visuals rather than the core of the dramatic elements (character, plot, structure, etc). I'm probably in the minority with that view, but then there is a reason I avoid Michael Bay movies.

Remember that Marvel is now owned by Disney, so it may have somewhat deeper pockets than it used to. However by the same token, Disney just cut the budget of the latest Pirates movie, so who knows.

Personally I think Joss Whedon is a good choice.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
My issue is more with I wonder what they saw in his previous material. It is just so different from Avengers. Again, the alpha male thing.
All of that said, I trust Whedon OK. I'm worried about his experience, and I believe he relies too much on his worshipful fanbase sometimes, but he is absolutely gifted.
I'm not sure about the budget thing. If The Avengers feels cheap (or less than epic), I think it will be a big let down. They can't hang around the mansion all day. How much did Iron Man 2 cost? This needs to cost at least that.

What did they see in Jon Favreau's work that made them think he was the man for Iron Man?

Doug

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't know. But Whedon has a lot more material to form an opinion on than Favreau did. I imagine that Zathura is what attracted them to Favreau.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh come on! It was obviously "Elf" that got him the Iron Man job. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Considering that Elf made over $200 million world wide, thats probably not too far off the mark.

Doug

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"Elf" did good box office and is a classic Christmas movie, but my point was that it's not exactly the kind of film that screams out "Let's hire this guy to do a tentpole superhero film for us."

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Looks like Edward Norton is out:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-marvel-confirms-they-will-hire-new-hulk-for-avengers

Strangely backhanded statement from the studio, as all I've ever read from Norton in interviews is that he'd be excited to be back as long as the director was different. Gotta say...this kills my enthusiasm for the project by about as much as their hiring of Whedon piqued it. After Terrence Howard's replacement in Iron Man II, Marvel's disregard for casting continuity is starting get ominous. Plus I was just psyched at the prospect of Norton and Downey Jr. sharing some screen time.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Norton being out doesn't bother me at all. I felt Norton was only playing Norton not Bruce Banner. I hope they can find a real Bruce Banner next time. An unknown is always the best IMO.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I agree Bana might confuse things. I think they want to erase that version of the Hulk. I also think they will find a new Banner & lock him up for more movies. While their at it they should find a new Betty I'm just not wild about Liv Tyler. I would prefer Connolly, but then it would add even more confusion. I'm sure they will keep William Hurt as General Ross to keep the connection to TIH movie. I'm sure he will make some appearance in the Avengers.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I wanted Norton as well. RDJ is a heavyweight, Evans should be alright, but Hemsworth and some no name will probably get lost. Norton was the other heavyweight. I liked his Banner. A lot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez
I'd say rehire Eric Bana. Just to confuse audiences even more.

:)
Have Bana poke his head out from behind the shower curtain telling Betty (Jennifer Connelly) that he had the weirdest dream...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick H.
Looks like Edward Norton is out:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-marvel-confirms-they-will-hire-new-hulk-for-avengers

Strangely backhanded statement from the studio, as all I've ever read from Norton in interviews is that he'd be excited to be back as long as the director was different. Gotta say...this kills my enthusiasm for the project by about as much as their hiring of Whedon piqued it. After Terrence Howard's replacement in Iron Man II, Marvel's disregard for casting continuity is starting get ominous. Plus I was just psyched at the prospect of Norton and Downey Jr. sharing some screen time.
Wow, pretty gutsy for that Marvel Studios exec to basically come out and say "Edward Norton doesn't play well with others." and to hit the road, Ed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Wow, pretty gutsy for that Marvel Studios exec to basically come out and say "Edward Norton doesn't play well with others." and to hit the road, Ed.
I imagine Norton being difficult to work with worked against him but I bet the biggest factor was that they could cut a $15 or $20 million paycheck out of the budget (especially when few casual viewers remember or care that Norton played Banner).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Then obviously the Marvel Studios exec has horrible diplomatic skills in the PR department. But it wouldn't be the first time Marvel Studios pinches pennies when it comes to casting.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I'd guess that Hulk just isn't going to play that large a role given his soft box office draw. Norton probably wouldn't play ball anyways, he'd insist on changes and wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So the Marvel studios exec was being nice by only saying Ed was a PITA, not that he was also too expensive. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I just can't see Money being the issue.

• All parties knew they were doing Avengers when they made "...Hulk" with Norton. Even if he didn't sign on then for Avengers like all the other stars have, there would have been discussions of the project, including the paycheck.

• Given that he'd have a supporting role at best in "Avengers," and his own film didn't set the B.O. on fire, there's just no motivation or leverage to hold out for a bigger payday.

• Norton has a reputation for being difficult to work with. He had that reputation long before his dealings with Marvel.

Meanwhile Marvel is putting together one of the most complicated projects imaginable, there's simply no room for Hulk to be fighting with the film-makers here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
I just can't see Money being the issue.
Maybe money isn't the biggest issue (as I said before) but I'd be surprised if their thinking wasn't along the lines of "This guy is a pain in the ass and he's going to cost us millions of dollars so why not dump him?" That way, they don't have to deal with Norton or pay his salary- that's a win win for Marvel.

All that being said, I have to agree with Norton's agent that Marvel was unprofessional by talking shit in a public statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks