What's new

AVA Remote (1 Viewer)

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
There's a new remote coming out from AVA that looks interesting. They say it's a replacement for the Harmony remotes but at $1200, I don't see that happening.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
They also will have the "Nano Brain" that will basically be like the Harmony Hub for $399. So that means if you want to make it comparable to the Harmony Elite with remote and hub, this setup will set you back almost $1700.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
crazy tom hiddleston GIF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems to me that anyone who goes for this will most likely go for the hub as well.

I think I will manage to pass at that price.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There's a new remote coming out from AVA that looks interesting. They say it's a replacement for the Harmony remotes but at $1200, I don't see that happening.

From what I've seen, these are probably best avoided. They're based on a heavily customized version of the Android OS which [I believe] is already a couple of generations behind. You would do better just picking up a cheap Android tablet or iPad [and possibly an external IR blaster], then downloading something like Touchsquid or Roomie.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Their first remote had no physical buttons, it was pretty much just an Android tablet in the shape of a remote. It can be programmed in Kiosk mode where it's locked down to one program. Which means it can be setup as a remote for Creston, Savant, RTI or Elan. The one thing it won't do, is run Control4.
Or it can be setup as a remote for the above automation systems and switch to run apps natively, like Sonos, Spotify, etc.
One issue is that it works on wifi and has a slight delay when you first pick it up and it connects to the network.
It's always interesting to watch how these new companies do in the av industry.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I scored one of the original remotes last week. It's a little smaller than I thought it would be but looks really good. Programming was straight forward and easy to get going.

I added the remote to my RTI programming and downloaded the app on the remote. It works very well with RTI. It does have a small delay when I first pick it up and it has to reconnect to the RTI processor but it's not bad.

Since it's built on the Android platform, you can download apps from the Play Store. I've been running Hayward OmniLogic, Lutron RadioRa3, Ring, Sonos and Ecobee along side the RTI home automation. So far it's stood up very well.

Battery life is short, which I suspect is because I am running RTI all the time. I will start closing it when I'm done watching TV and see if the battery lasts longer.

I will post pictures later in the week.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Here is the remote. I had to break it into 2 parts to upload it. I really like the remote, I've been using it all week and have no big complaints.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since it's built on the Android platform, you can download apps from the Play Store. I've been running Hayward OmniLogic, Lutron RadioRa3, Ring, Sonos and Ecobee along side the RTI home automation. So far it's stood up very well.
Why would someone need or want Google Play / Android apps on a remote control? Does the remote control not remote control anything per se, and you have to add all the random device apps (like the Shield app for an nVidia Shield)?

My frame of reference is the Logitech Harmony which is programmable and controls everything. It takes some setup, but doesn't require finding and installing apps or dealing with battery management from running those apps.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
No, I don't have to use apps to control things. I did test the remote with the apps for a week but haven't used any since. I run RTI on the remote which is programmed to run everything. The remote will run in kiosk mode with automation programs like RTI or Crestron.

I've been using the remote now for 3 months and have no complaints.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks