Outlaw 950 vs Sony TA-E9000ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric D Wong, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

...topic says it all... they both go for about the same price if looking online. I'm seriously considering buying one... I have an 'audiophile' stereo only preamp thats non remote controlled and its time to upgrade. Doing alot of HT stuff lately. I'd sell my old Arcam tuner and my Audio by van Alstine preamp to help displace the cost. Ive never heard of outlaw Audio until browsing around here, but I do like the 'factory direct' brands (Hsu Research, AVA, etc).

What I see: the Outlaw has component video. This may be useful although I doubt Ill be gettin a HDTV anytime soon. The Sony has RS232 connector, so its software should be updatable. Either way i need something that can handle a ton of digital audio, and video signals...

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I had a TAE for close to 5 years. It is way long in the tooth now though. It is GREAT for home theater if that is all you need and it will do fine with music as long as you feed it digitally.

The downside is no 6 channal analog input for SACD/DVD-Audio. You have to add the TAP9000es for that and those are almost impossible to find. The TAP/TAE combo is a great package. I sold that combo to fund an Aragon Soundstage about this time last year (got a decent used price). The Soundstage does everything those 2 Sony boxes did plus more.

You will need a power amp also, right?

Give us your total budget and other system components for better advice.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I also had a TAE for 4 years. Great pre/pro, but doesn't have DPL II, DD EX, DTS-ES either.

I had the Outlaw for 6 months. I really liked it too. The 950 also has bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs which is really useful if you plan to do DVD-A or SACD.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I have been using the Outlaw 950 for a little over a year now and it has been nothing but outstanding. I can recommend it without any reservations.

Are you going to need a power amp too? Outlaw has some great combo deals out there if you buy the 950 with one of their poweramps.

Parker

5. Eric D Wong

Hmm, now i have my heart set on outlaw. Ive read every review on audioweb, the groups etc I can....seems like the biggest complaint is looks, but I care zero about looks.

one question though, I couldnt get thru to tech support on Friday but Im currently running my 2 ch 'audiophile black box' preamp into an AudioControl Richter Scale III crossover. I know the outlaw has bass management in the SACD input mode as well as all the surround modes, but what about plain vanilla stereo mode? Does it still provide a crossover (high and low pass for the speakers, sub respectively)? And if so, whats the slope?

Reason I ask is if this unit can replace my Arcam tuner, Audio By Van Alstine preamp and AudioControl crossover that will take a huge chunk out of the Outlaw.

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Eric, while the Outlaw offers good value, I'd look at the Denon 3803 from 6ave for $698 delivered. It sounds awesome as a prepro and offers video upconversion, Memory Plus which I found to be very very useful as it remembers DSP settings, channel level settings, Tone control settings, etc. for different inputs. The Outlaw does not any of this.

7. Eric D Wong

That looks like a nice product, the AVR 3803 right? However, it is $999 not delievered according to their site right now, and they're out of stock. Hmmm.

Oh wait, thats the receiver... ill look for the preamp..

8. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I agree with Parker. The Outlaw's performance where it matters (sound quality) is outstanding. Its features are extremely useful without the added cost of seldomly used frills.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

In the analog mode it uses the same slopes and frequency cut off as with digital mode.In " analog bypass" mode[2 ch] the mains receive full range signals,but the sub still gets bass below the specified frequency,though it appears to be at lower level,presumably to minimize the bass "doubleing effect".No slope is specified,but I think it's the same as the others.

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Eric:

So where you able to get ahold of the guys at Outlaw? I know that you would be more than happy with your choice of the 950 as your preamp.

Parker