What's new

AUTO mode on DLS (2 Viewers)

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, mine came today while I was home for lunch. I unpacked it and swapped out my old powered sub and..............NOTHING. No sound whatsoever. Not in Auto mode, not on ON. The light on the amp is Green and I tested out Blade....it never made a peep. I tried plugging it into both low level inputs. Tried it phased both ways, put the crossover at 12 o clock, and adjusted the gain from 1/4 - 3/4. Nothing.

I'm more than a little disappointed. I'll try adjusting it again when I get back from work, but most likely will be calling PE for a RMA tonite or tommorrow. :frowning: :angry:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Again, it's possible that one of the leads came loose from the driver. You could simply put the amp off the back (with it unplugged of course!) and see if both of the wires are connected to the sub. It'll take about 5 minutes. If they are connected, then the sub is DOA.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Parts express is coming through for everyone. Eric for PE emailed me and said to very carefully remove the amp and THROW IT AWAY!!;)
Seems like another bad shipment he said so he will be sending an UPGRADED better amp to me. E-mail them and they will take care of all of your problems. Awesome support from a great company.
:emoji_thumbsup:

DavidLC

Agent
Jeff -
Thanks - I was just in the process of posting a replay saying I had sent an e-mail to P.E. when your post popped up. I immediately called PE and......to make a long story short - my new amp is on the way (no need to return the old one).
Thanks for the quick post !!!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Excellent and what I am acustom to for service from PE.

PE not wanting the amps back and suggesting that you throw them away, tells me there may be more wrong than just the auto on problem. Could be something serious like a fire hazard or something else. Strange not something they normaly do.

Not taking the amp back that is.

Shane and others maybe:

You may find this to be helpfull with your sub set up. Take a look here!

Regards
Geoff

Just got off the phone with PE and they said the same thing. Throw the amp away and a new one is beign shipped out no charge today or tomorrow. Excellent customer service!

(Edit) Thank you Geoff for the link!

Joe Burch

Grip
Ok, so mine was ordered today and I'm assuming based on all this that I will probably get a dead one too. Crap. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll just swap out the amp before they ship it. :)

Joe

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The cool thing is, the amp you're getting most likely is the 150W version that normally sells for $100 all by itself.

That's why I keep saying that you couldn't build a sub this good for this little money if you wanted to. I can with my discount, but it actually equals about what it would cost me for the DLS too. So it's basically a wash unless you want a nicer finish.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian

Dosen't that 150 amp have the 6-db boost at 30 or 35-hz?

I don't know if the original DLS amp carrys a boost or not. Regardless they probley will remove it if the DLS dose not require the boost, or leave it if it dose.

Just curious as I have not seen either amp in hand.

Geoff

NathanL

Agent
I just called PE and they gave me the RA# and told me to remove the AMP and ship it back to them....I'm little new with HT equipment but do I just unscrew the back screws and everything comes out nice and easy? or do I unhook anything in the inside...?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Geoff,

Yes, that amp has 5-6dB boost at 35Hz, IIRC. Nathan, Just unscrew it and disconnect the 2 wires that are hooked to the driver.

Charles_Cymbor

Auditioning
I also just got a very quick email reply from Eric ([email protected]) at Parts Express. He is also sending me a new amp.

Here is a copy of his email if you are interested:
Hello!

Thank you for getting right with us on our problem with the DLS
Subwoofer System! We have discovered just today that most all of
those systems that have shipped in the last few days display the
problem that you have described. All stock on the product has
been pulled.

I have a good supply of "upgraded" amplifiers for the system on
hand. If you would be comfortable with pulling the bad amp from the
cabinet, tossing it out, and installing a new, tested unit that I will
send to you at no charge, let me know. I'll get that out to you right
away.

If this does sound like a plan, let me know if I should ship the
replacement to the ***** address, or if there is
some other address you would prefer.

Thanks again! We do truly appreciate your business, and your
patience with a defective product.

Regards,

Eric A. Chandler
Technical Support
Great service from PE!

Edited to remove my address. :b

NathanL

Agent
Do you know if everyone is getting the new "upgraded" amp?

I called and he gave me the RA# number, told me to remove the old one...ship it back and they will send me a new one? They didn't tell me to throw mine away....or anything about an upgrade!

Charles_Cymbor

Auditioning
Yeah, I don't know anything besides what he put in the email. Its probably just different people handling it slightly differently. I'd guess you'll get the same amp as the rest of us.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Hey, I think my sub is...eh...popping..yes..auto light going nuts...ok...a 150W amp...well...how about the 250W amp- will the 10" driver handle it...yeah, I guess I'll take it...

Just being stupid...but I am jealous about that possible 150W amp- you're all going to end up with an even better "Tiny Mighty" than the rest of us. Congrats!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jose

Don't get to bummed, the extra 50 watts will hardly be noticabe. A little more headroom thats all.

250-watt amp installed and you would probley need a new driver after the first Toy Story intro played wide open.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks