What's new

Audio out problem? (1 Viewer)

Devious

Auditioning
Real Name
Ramy
Hi, Im new to home theaters, Im still planning to creat one after finish painting my living room, it`s probably gona be something like this
29wq3r8.png

However there is an issue that I cant seem to solve, which is the audio output to the surround system.
My HT is gona consist of a PS3, HD DVD, STB and probably Xbox.. obviously cause Im a gamer kinda person. the Projector Im gona get will be a 3D ready. so basically what I learned is I should be dealing with HDMI cables with high speed, and all the sources like the STB and DVD should all be HD or blue ray etc.. also this goes for the video Switch.
Regarding the audio output, obviously I want all 3 or 4 sources hooked to the HDMI switch, it`d have been without a problem if I found an HDMI switch with a simple audio out, but unfortunately there is no such a switch, even in Radioshack, here in Egypt it`s not common to find similar accessories. so I can not go with option 2. as shown in the pic.
1f7bkk.png

About the option 1, I dont think there is tall enoguh cable to take from the projector all the way down to the surround system, also I read all around the net that actually projectors do not have audio out! is that true? so maybe option 1 is gona be difficult.
I was also wondering, is an Audio receiver included when I purchase a surround sound system say 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever that means anyway. or hould I buy it separately?
Now for option 3, which means I hook all my sources to that audio receiver, which somehow it contains video inputs as well, but it requires the typical old yellow, white and red cables, which is not recommended as I said in the begenning for using a 3D system. and that brings me to the last question which is, can I still use an HDMI switch for transfering video signal all to the projector through a long HDMI high speed cable, and that I can fix the audio problem by connecting the audio only cables from the sources like the PS3 and DVD to the audio recievers? would it work, knowing that I`ll have to switch channels on both HDMI switch and the channels on the audio receivers.
Sorry for long boring questions, Im just new to all this.
Thanks!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Now for option 3, which means I hook all my sources to that audio receiver, which somehow it contains video inputs as well, but it requires the typical old yellow, white and red cables,
Just plug each device into your processor/receiver.
Get a modern receiver that has HDMI inputs/outputs - then use HDMI cables for all of the sources that have them - they will send both the audio and the video signal. The HDMI switch is in the receiver, so you don't have to by another one...
There is no audio out on the projector....use the HDMI output connection on the receiver to hook to the HDMI input on the projector...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You refer to "Surround System" and "Audio Receiver" as separate components.

I fear this may be an indication that you're considering building your system around a budget "All-in-one" Home Theater system (the "surround system") which typically have little to no support for additional external devices (perhaps the reason you feel you need an "audio receiver").

As Jon and Martin have already pointed out, this is flawed thinking. A proper home theater/surround system is built around a modern A/V receiver which acts as a single hub for both audio and video processing/switching.

You will need to purchase an A/V receiver, a 5.1 speaker system, and 1 HDMI cable for each HDMI-capable source, plus one more HDMI cable to run from the receiver to the projector. This last cable will likely need to be lengthy - let us know how long so we can recommend the best, most cost-effective option for you.

If you can provide us with a budget, we can make specific recommendations for you, but the usual receiver manufacturers - Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer - all make decent mid-level models that should provide all the connectivity you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks