Atlantis:Lost Empire (R1-Canada) possible defect...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikal Haydn, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn Agent

There may be a defect in the R1 Atlantis:Lost Empire (Collectors Ed) dvds from canada. On my Pioneer player, the player pauses at 27:24 and 27:25 causing the audio to drop out. At least one person has posted about the same problem which occurs at the same spot in another forum. The disc looks fine too - no severe scratches, etc

This happens at the scene where the 1st vehicle is shown at the left in the tunnels. Haven't checked this on DVD-ROM yet...

Would like to hear from other owners of this disc.

2. Stefan Wikstrom

Stefan Wikstrom Auditioning

I had the same problem. I have only tested it on a Pioneer player so far. The DVD was bought from a US retailer.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Are you sure it's not just an obnoxious layer change?

4. Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn Agent

I'm sure its not a layer change because the that occurs later in the movie (after the 60 minute mark, i think). The Pioneer player says 'search' on the panel when there is a layer change. In this case, at 27:24, the player just pauses for a second and resumes at 27:25 and pauses again.

5. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    There is definitely a defect on the disk at that point, but it didn't cause my Toshiba SD 1200 to freeze up. In fact, if I hadn't been looking for it I would have missed it completely. There was no audio dropout, but I noticed two large pixel-type squares freeze in the left side of the picture (on the ceiling of the cave in the glare of the headlights) for just a second.

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Uh-oh! I guess I'm gonna have to hold off on this one for the time being if this defect is widespread. What a shame, I was interested in picking this up.[​IMG]

7. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Joseph, this is an excellent disk. If you were really looking forward to this title, then rent it first to see how it plays on your particular DVD player. As stated above, I would not have noticed this glitch if I hadn't gone right to that point to look for it. Sounds like it may be worse on some players than others.

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I guess I shouldn't be amazed that a one-second pause in addition to a layer change would cause people to not get this DVD?? [​IMG]

9. Ed Jewell

Ed Jewell Agent

I just hope we are not at the beginning of another Dinosaur CE fiasco. [​IMG]

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just bought it and just about to play it now on the PC (later today on the main system). I'll let you know.

11. Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn Agent

On DVD-ROM, it skips the frame without dropping audio. Instead of travelling smoothly, the vehicle shifts a bit to the right. I think this will be the case for many non Pioneer players.. almost unnoticeable. But you'd have to really look for it as Jason would say. It will vary across dvd players. Wouldn't mind so much if it occured during the quieter scenes...

12. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Has anyone checked this with a Sony yet?

13. John DrakeLaw

John DrakeLaw Stunt Coordinator

I get the dropout on a Pioneer DV-09 but my Sony 335 doesn't detect anything. Seems a little different on each player.

14. Daniel Schenk

Daniel Schenk Stunt Coordinator

It works fine with my Pioneer 939 but haven`t tried yet with my Sony.

15. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

I just tried this in my JVC S62SL and didn't notice any problem at all. Didn't seem to skip or drop out at all. I got the 2-disc set if that matters at all. I can try it in my Malata as well.

16. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I guess I overreacted in regard to the Atlantis DVD. It's basically a knee-jerk reaction to my experiences with the Dinosaur DVD a year ago - Now that WAS a glitch![​IMG] I'll probably rent it first to be sure as was suggested earlier. Disney's SE products are truly excellent and I certainly do not want to miss out on them.
    Now, if only Disney would fix that Dinosaur disc already. [​IMG]

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Plays fine on my Toshiba 3108.

18. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

No problems on my old Sony 530D

-B

19. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Played almost lawlessly on my RCA. On a quick buzz at the layer change.

Regards this disc..I hope this is a trend that continues. Everything I took the time to watch in the 2nd disc was 16X9..and some of it 5.1!!!! NICE change over other studios extra material.

20. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I see a small rectangular possible flaw that lasts about one frame and covers the width of the area that is lit up by the vehicle but is at 27:27. Is this what everybody is talking about? Now you guys have me nitpicking the heck out of the picture! [​IMG]