What's new

Athena 7.1 speaker combination (1 Viewer)

Jaime V

Auditioning
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I've learned quite a bit just by reading some of the old posts. However, in all my searches I couldn't find anybody that talks about how to best set Athena speakers in a 6.1 or 7.1 surround system. Here's my question:

What speaker combination would you guys recommend if I'm using a Yamaha 5790 with Athena speakers?

The main thing I'm confused about is what to use as the surround speakers. Athena makes the bookshelf models AS-B1's and also some rear speakers (AS-R1's). Best I can figure I could use the R1's as the 2 rear sound speakers and the B1's as side rears. For fronts I was thinking of AS-F1's and a AS-C1 for center.

These are just my guesses as to what to use. I would like to inquire from the forums infinite wisdom as to what I should use.

Thanks in advance,

Jaime

MikeGee

Second Unit
you could use the R1s as rears. Alot of people love the R1's i've not heard them..

I'm going to be running only the Athena speakers in a 6.1-7.1 setup

My setup will be

Pioneer 1014tx-k
2 AS-f2 (front speakers)
4 AS-B2 (side rears, front center channel, rear surround)
1 AS-C1 (only if i am not happy with using a B2 as a center)

I am guessing that the R1 is a lot easier to mount up on the wall compaired to either the B1/B2 cause of them being rear ported...

Jaime V

Auditioning
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if I would be better served by going with 4 AS-B1's like you are doing, 4 AS-R1's, or a 2-2 combination. I've read a lot of good reviews on the R1's, but I'm not smart enough about it to know what to choose.

Thanks for the post.

Jaime

TeresaLM

Auditioning
Just a few points: You may be able to find the R-1's & B-2's locally at Best Buy (they have been clearing them out), so you can hear them, and decide. I know people say the B-2's have more bass than the B-1's (6" woofer vs. 5.25"). This additional Bass may be helpful or wanted since you didn't mention a Sub. The R-1's do have a rear mount integrated, so while large, they may better to mount. Also, if you want to use a B-2 as a center, they only sell them in pairs, so you may run into trouble (or have an extra speaker) if you buy 4 + 1 for a center.

Jaime V

Auditioning
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am also getting a sub. The exact model I was thinking of getting escapes me right now though...

Unfortunately, my Best Buy doesn't carry the R1's for some reason although they have everything else. Go figure??? So I'm kind of flying blind here.

I'm also open to suggestions on other speaker systems that will work with the 5790. I've read on some other threads that Paradigms and Athenas work well. Paradigms' are out of my budget, so that's why I'm going with Athenas. However, if there's anything else out there that will work and is around the same price range, I'd be willing to look at them.

Thanks,

Jaime

brentl

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking at the Athenas, consider using the r1s for side surround and the b1s/2s for back surround.

Brent

Hey Jaime,

I have 2 AS B-2's at the front(l/r), 2 AS R-1's at the back(l/r) and 2 AS C-1 for front and back centers as well as the as p-400 sub. I got them for a steal at my local shop (i brought in the Future Shop/Best Buy ad and they beat all of their prices by 15 to 25%.

you won't regret buying them...they sound great and were a breeze to mount. I may buy a pair of F-2s in the future and move the B2s to the mid left right, but as for now I am extrememly happy with my purchase.

Derek

Jaime V

Auditioning
I took another trip to Best Buy to listen to the Athenas again. I loved the sound. This time I compared them to the Klipsch and for the price they went toe to toe. I did find some R1's hidden in a pile and they had them on clearance for only $69.99. I bought 4 of them just in case I wanted to go that way for the 4 surrounds. I figured I could hook them up and try them at no risk. I think I'll go back and get some B1's or B2's also and try them as well. I'll try them mixed and matched and let you know how it turns out. It will probably be a weekend project though... Thanks for all the input.

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
would there be any notable difference in using the B1's or the B2's as surrounds if you are using a sub? im thinking of purchasing B2's for all four rear surrounds, but i can get a great deal at bestbuy for the B1's? the only reason im thinking of the B2's is because the B1's were rated at 125w,not too sure, and the B2's were at 150w and since im pushing 130w i figured that the B2's would be better, but since they are surrounds i am not sure if should really be all that concerned.

what are some online retail stores that sell athena speakers?

Jaime V

Auditioning
Best Buy carries Athena speakers, but it seems like they are phasing them out. Most of them are on clearance. Online, I found them on Ebay, and if you do a google search, you'll find about 100 places that sell them.

I looked at the B1's and B2's at Best Buy and they are huge. Now that I'm looking at my room, I don't think I can place them without being in the way. I'm going to try the R1's for sound and if they are good, I'm going to keep them.

Muhammed

Agent
Does anyone know for sure what the future of Athena at Best Buy will be? I'm wondering if they're just getting rid of the current models, or if they'll be discontinuing Athena altogether.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
I asked an employee of API if Athena was going to be shut down and here is the response that I got:

Jaime V

Auditioning
I don't think Athena is going out of business either, but I think Muhammed's question was if Best Buy, specifically, is not going to carry them anymore. My buddy at Best Buy tells me that AS-R1's and AS-F2's have been completely deleted from Best Buy's system. The system also shows that they are not going to backorder any of the other models either (i.e. they will sell them until they run out). So if you want to try or buy Athena's at Best Buy, better do it soon.

Jaime

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds to me like Athena has signed an agreement with another store to carry their products. So I would expect to see them available locally from another company sometime in the near future.

Muhammed

Agent
Best Buy's only been carrying Athena for a year, in my opinion it diminishes the brand somewhat, since Best Buy doesn't really carry a lot of great speakers in general (i'm sure there are a few exceptions to this).

I hope API has a mass retailer lined up to carry Athena. I personally don't have Athena speakers, but they're great value for the price. Having a large retailer will make sure that they get the exposure that they deserve, i'd hate to see the line disappear from public view.

Jaime V

Auditioning
Are you kidding me??? Best Buy carries great speakers. They even carry KLH!!! (inject a little sarcastic tone here...)

Jaime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.