What's new

At what level of detail should I run Far Cry? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am pretty new to PC gaming and purchased a new Dell laptop last fall. It's a Pentium 4 2.2, 512 RAM, and has a 64MB NVidia GeForce 4 video card. I am very interested in playing "Far Cry" and downloaded the demo a week ago. However, after having most of the settings at "medium" and a few of them at "high", the game seems very choppy. The reviewer at Gamespot recommended using at least a 2.0 GHz computer, which mine certainly is (but didn't mention any other specs to my knowledge).

This game is right up my alley and I'd prefer to play it in a way that maximizes my enjoyment of it the first time around. I also own an Xbox which is hooked up to my home theater rig, and I know that the game will be released on the 'box in the fall. Therefore, I have two questions:

1. Given the limited specs on my laptop, would I be able to run Far Cry with a decent level of graphical quality (I have played "Max Payne 2" and "Call of Duty" and they both looked fantastic)?

2. Would it be more beneficial to wait until the fall to play it on Xbox instead, given that my sound system is obviously much nicer than the tiny speakers in my laptop?

Thanks!!!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think the video card in your laptop is what's holding you back. FarCry is really one of the first of the next generation shootings, so the graphics tech it is using is a step or two above what Max Payne and Call of Duty use. The GeForce 4 is pretty "old" as far as video cards go. To bad you really can't upgrade the video in most laptops.

Can't wait to try Far Cry, but I need new hardware first ;)

Brian

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Far Cry is coming to the Xbox? Didn't know that. Cool! :)

Still...I can't imagine how the hell they are going to "fit" that video-spec monster into the 'Box. Link Removed

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Brian - thanks for the reply. I know that Far Cry is the first of the new games with killer graphics (Doom 3, Half Life 2, etc.). I can play the demo of it with the details turned down, and I agree that my video card is likely holding me back. I already spoke with Dell to see if I could upgrade my video card and they stated that they couldn't. Ah well. Maybe I'll borrow it from my friend when he's done with it, play it with the details on "low", and pick it up for the 'box when it comes out in fall. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks