What's new

At least one TV show set in "Miami" is coming to DVD :) (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Heard from Momentum Pictures that they plan to release CSI:Miami Season 1 on R2 early next year. Season 1: Part 1 should hit February and Season 1: Part 2 should hit around May. I guess a R1 release will be out around that time too. :D

PS- Isn't this show really filmed in L.A. with around 15% shot in Miami?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm a R1 version? I would hate to keep wasting dvd's recording this show.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
PS- Isn't this show really filmed in L.A. with around 15% shot in Miami?
Absolutely correct sir. Here's a tip-off: if you see a hill, a mountain, or any plateau with an altitude more than 5' off of sea level -- it's L.A.. ;) Miami's flatter than a pre-pubescent Callista Flockhart.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Given the experience of the R2 release of the original CSI (first series missing the original theme music, second series in two halves at near double the price of the R1 issue) I think I'll wait for the R1 edition.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Miami's flatter than a ....
Oh, there are a few landfills the size of small hills in South Florida (I dunno about Miami proper -- hopefully not, though I'm sure landfills dot the entire state), and yes, perfectly ordinary roads run right past them. Lovely, I know, I know. Mountain ranges are a definite no-no, of course, though large mushrooming hills to the west might be swamp gas. :) Just kidding, just kidding.

Incidentally, this is the best show on network television, IMO, firing on all cylinders from the first episode and even (gasp) besting its parent show. David Caruso is no small part of that magic. I would pick up a Season 1 set (Season 2 just debuted) in a heartbeat.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm a R1 version?
Not at this time, sir. I think I can safely say that S2 of Cheers and S2 of Frasier will be announced before anything from CSI: Miami gets announced by Paramount.

How long before? I don't have that info...could be minutes, days, weeks, months, or years. But I don't see any signs of an imminent R1 announcement of CSI: Miami. Personally, I think it's not happening. If they wanted to use S1 to promote S2 (a la Fox's move with 24), they would have done so before S2 started. Now that we're a half-dozen episode broadcasts into S2 on TV, any window for promotion has been closed.

Craig's comment that an R1 release should happen near an R2 release is probably just forgetting that many R2 releases on DVD happen to make up for different USA vs Europe broadcast schedules. Think about DVD releases in R2 for Friends, West Wing, Ally McBeal, etc. All happening without a co-release in R1...for years!

However, Paramount has surprised me before and will no doubt continue to do so. :) I could very well be wrong.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Surely David if its in the works for R2 then a R1 release will be in the pipeline. Unless that re-run contract thingey holds it back a bit. Is that to allow more money to be made from re-runs or something?

@ Andrew, the missing theme tune in the 1st series was a goddamn disagrace, there wasn't any warning on the packaging. However it returned for Season 2 which was nice. The quality of the 2nd season releases was far better for some reason?

The show is called CSI: Miami yet isn't really filmed in Miami. Couldn't I sue the makers for false advertising?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Surely David if its in the works for R2 then a R1 release will be in the pipeline. Unless that re-run contract thingey holds it back a bit. Is that to allow more money to be made from re-runs or something?
Nope, not at all. That's why Region coding was created in the first place! So they can sell stuff in one part of the world and "protect" (yeah, right!) other parts of the world from being able to buy/use it until they are darn good and ready to.

Licensing, ownership, music rights, syndication deals, and plain old marketing strategy just touchs on some of the many reasons why it might hit R2 for years before an R1 release comes along.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I have the same problem with Smallville. It's supposedly set in Kansas, but is filmed in Vancouver. Unless you go to the extreme western edge of Kansas, you won't find a hill big enough to sled on. I grew up in Wichita, which is fairly sizable and there was only a single sledding hill in the entire city. And it was articially created. There lots of shots with very hilly backgrounds.

They also seem to have a sizeable dam. There aren't any of those in Kansas and no place to put them, either. Because everything's so flat any back-up of a river would pretty much flood the state.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
OK . Quick lesson on that "rerun thing", otherwise known as syndication, or "How TV shows actually make money in the U.S."

Producers lose money or break even on shows during their network broadcast run. The producer's only goal is to hit five seasons (more recently four and then one) so that the potential buyers have enough episodes to run the show in syndication 5 days a week. This is where they actually make money on the program. Therefore, it is unlikely that a show will hit DVD in R1 before a syndication deal has been signed and the episodes have run in synidication. (See examples: The West Wing, Buffy, Friends, etc.)

Certain shows will be released on DVD earlier for one of the following reasons: 1) The show will not translate well to syndication because it is a long story arc that people can't understand if they miss an episode (See 24, Alias).
2) The show has a decent following, but not good enough to to guarantee that a network will keep it on for 5 seasons, therefore, it needs to make people aware (See Alias, 24, Angel)or 3) THe syndication deal really stinks (See SportsNight)

There are anomalies to these rules, such as CSI Seasons 1 and 2 being released before the end of Season 4. However, they did get full syndication runs on TNN (now Spike) before they were released.

I wouuld seriously doubt we will see CSI: Miami before it completes Season 4. BUt that is just my opinion I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks