Ascend Accoustics CBM-170s or Axiom M3-Ti

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Wooten, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Hello All

I was wondering which speakers I should get. I looking for somthing 50/50 HT/Music. Probably my biggest concern is I don't want somthing to present, I'm a little concerened about listening fatigue. I would also like to know which 600 HT system would be a good match for either one of the speaker. I've been thinking about getting the Denon 2802. I've also thought about getting the HK/520 but the manufacturing problems scare me a little.

Thanks in advance and looking foward to hearing from you,

Shane

2. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I have an Ascend 5.1 system (3x CBM-170, 2x HTM-200, Hsu VTF-2) with an H/K AVR-520 and I am quite happy. No problems with fatigue on the Ascends, they are laid-back speakers. They have a sale going on right now and combined with the great price and the AVR-520 you can get a great 5.1 setup with receiver for well under $2k.

3. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

My father just got the following system and it sounds *great*. Could probably use a sub upgrade but with the M3ti's it doesn't feel lacking at all. [​IMG]
    2 Axiom M3ti Mains
    1 Axiom VP100 Center
    2 Axiom QS4 surrounds
    1 Sony WM40 sub
    1 Denon 1803
    For the first 10 hours it was a little bright but that has leveled off. My father, brother and myself all *love* the system. [​IMG] The Denon and Axiom work great together.
    I think for your money it depends if you want a system that is much more on the laid back side or (potentially) a tad on the bright side.
    Matthew

4. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

one vote each now what [​IMG] .. anyone else??
    I appreciate the responses, and I think I will be buying on Monday. I have one more call to make to check out some modified speakers that are supposed to be amazing. We will see. I will let you know which way I choose. I also wondering about how they do with shoddily recorded cd's. Do they express all the junk or can you listen to them?
    Thanx again

5. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Shane, I own a 5.1 Ascend Acoustic system and I could not be more pleased. The CBM-170s are great for both music and movies. Check out www.cheaphometheater.com for a review of the Ascend/Hsu combo. Also Brad J. has posted a well-written review on this site that I think you will find informing. The Ascends will expose inferior music sources (GIGO), but I find that to be an asset rather than a liability. They are well known for their vocal reproduction.