What's new

Article "DVD-Audio and SACD: In It for the Long Haul" (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
A quick aside (hopefully)... how often was there only a digital master made? Was it standard practice for awhile? Is it still in some quarters?

And a related question: are the Gould Goldbergs on SACD from the crappy digital master or the analog master that was recently unearthed? I'd presumed they used the analog master (as it seems silly to do otherwise), but someone posted in another forum that the SACD was derived from the digital source and no one contradicted it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll 'bet' this title was recorded at 20 [if not 24] bits.
Nope, 20 bit converters or recording equipment weren't avalable then. This would have been done on the old Mitsubishi X-80 or Sony PCM-3324 machines, both of which are 16 bit, but not at 44.1 kHz (I think it was 50, still, not far off).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were analog multitracks for this, as these machines weren't the most reliable when they first came out, and there weren't many of them, so backups were pretty much impossible. Of course, a remix won't be the same album....

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Gosh, that's old!
Would have lost my shirt on that one.
Thought almost 'all' 'straight to CD releases', would have been 20 or better.
Thanks for the slap on the wrist!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Humor break!

Just for the hell of it I'll quote (sort of) an old Benny Hill sketch, where he's a music news reporter having trouble reading the cue cards after stepping on his glasses:

"And now, for our next feature, we'll hear a tidbit from so-and-so's new musical bum....er....squinting now.....music album!!! Please roll that tape............"

I wonder if that little old bald guy ever got bruises from all those times Benny slapped him on the head?

LJ

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Three Stooges, actual built up calluses, from being stuck in the same places repeatably.
Would think the same, for the little old man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks