What's new

Article "DVD-Audio and SACD: In It for the Long Haul" (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If true, kind of makes you wonder why Warner has not released Brothers in Arms on DVD-Audio, and then marketed the hell out of it.
My thoughts exactly Keith. With SACD giving us the catalogs of the Stones and Dylan, it is a no brainer to me for Warner to put out the entire Dire Straits catalog. They only had six studio albums if I am not mistaken, so it would not be a major undertaking to get them all out. At the very least they could throw just one album our way.

J

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
My thoughts exactly Keith. With SACD giving us the catalogs of the Stones and Dylan, it is a no brainer to me for Warner to put out the entire Dire Straits catalog. They only had six studio albums if I am not mistaken, so it would not be a major undertaking to get them all out. At the very least they could throw just one album our way.
Keith: I think the point that was being made was there isn't a "New" album being released on DVD-A that will make the masses run to Best Buys and be disapointed that it isn't in stock :D
Justin: I pray for the day when I can have "Making Movies" on DVD-A :emoji_thumbsup:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
......there isn't a "New" album being released on DVD-A that will make the masses run to Best Buys.......
I totally agree with this. Even when Yes' Fragile dvd-audio was announced I was really excited for about an hour, then calmed down: I have heard this album dozens of times (my own on vinyl, CD and the radio) and there wasn't really anything more to discover, musically-speaking. I bought it and don't regret doing so (and bought it because I LIKED the title, not just to keep dvd-audio alive) but really, really wished I could hear some fresh, new music with different lyrical ideas. I still wish my favorite downtempo label would do some dvd-audios (www.eslmusic.com); I wonder how much it costs to do this.

LJ

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Try telling that to the folks on Audio Asylym
The problem is when one looks at the DVD-A catalog from major labels pf major artists like Warner and EMI one is talking about less than 100 releases. At this point, it is hard to consider that as serious. We will see what is available by the end of 2003.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the article, very good read.

If WB are thinking of releasing Dire Straits, how about Prince and his albums.

:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

Unfortunately, Warner just hasn't delivered the goods. There are a number of artists in their stable that have not seen DVD-Audio treatment, even with just one release. It's sad. :frowning:

Steve,

I understand the point and agree with it. In my opinion, SACD and DVD-Audio will never make it with the masses the way CD has because SACD and DVD-Audio are not "revolutionary" in the way CD was. In short, digital technology on an optical disc is not new. To the average consumer, SACD and DVD-Audio are likely to be viewed as the same old same old. SACDs and DVD-Audio discs are not more convenient to use in the home or on the go than formats currently available (DVD-Audio is less so), and the discs are not more durable than what is currently available. I believe these qualities are far more important to the average consumer than sound quality or even the option of surround sound.

Oscar,

Absolutely. I would love to see 1999 and Purple Rain on DVD-Audio. And earlier Madonna titles too (Madonna, Like A Virgin, and True Blue).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To the average consumer, SACD and DVD-Audio are likely to be viewed as the same old same old.
I think what will break either of these formats is car players. Surround is made for car audio, listeners are in fixed listening positions, and most cars already have at least four speakers in them. From a useability perspective, SACD seems to have the edge for ease of use in a car environment.

However, there does need to be a major new album that breaks the format(s) open. Asking about SACD at one of the major chains up here got a blank stare. I driected the sales guy to the Stones remasters, which of course have no mention of SACD on them, and while the online store has titles, they aren't available in store.

While I'd love to hear Floyd, Boston, Yes or many other artists in higher resolution and surround, I have heard these albums hundreds if not thousands of times. A new recording that requires more attentive listening in surround would be what could push me over the edge - assuming a player could be had for a couple hundred bucks. The only player available up here is still $1200, which few people are going to bite at to listen to albums they've heard for 30 years.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
That's followed by an Insane Clown Posse release, which Del Grosso states "is really going to wake up the urban community as to how incredible surround sound is for hip-hop. Part of the sluggishness of the DVD-Audio format is that, while classic rock titles are very important, especially to home theater owners, there are millions of kids that listen to hip-hop and haven't experienced it yet."
Well, as much as I dislike ICP its a step in the right direction for the format. Some more "softer" boy bands added to the mix and a younger audience should be found.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
I just got a new DVD player that can play DVD-Audio.

After looking through the DVD-Audio catalog on dvdplanet.com and digitaleyes.net, I can say that there isn't one DVD-Audio disc I'm interested in. The collection is mostly classical and classic rock. I noticed Natalie Merchant, but do they put out Ophelia? No, Tigerlilly, a much worse album.

Where's Pink Floyd? Shakira? Moby? Depeche Mode?

At those prices it will have to be an album I like A+. I won't be paying $20 to get a DVD-Audio version of a C or even B-grade album.

I'd like to get one just to experience the surround format, to discover how it sounds. I like classical music but I already have my preferred recordings.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The collection is mostly classical and classic rock.
Grahm,

You could call that a problem with both DVD-A and SACD (add Jazz to that list for SACD). The reason for this is that audiophile recordings and in general audiophile preferences are historically seated in those genre you listed. Due to the price of the early players in both formats it was important to get out music that was of interest to the older audiophile crowd which had the money to spend. With player prices coming down on both sides over the past year, I suspect we will begin to see more along the lines of current pop. Of course if you only like a few artists you will probably end up being disappointed regardless.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well, as much as I dislike ICP its a step in the right direction for the format. Some more "softer" boy bands added to the mix and a younger audience should be found.
I just noticed ICP is up for preorder at Circuit City for 19.99. This is scheduled to be out next month with the Zappa disc from DTS.

J

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
If true, kind of makes you wonder why Warner has not released Brothers in Arms on DVD-Audio, and then marketed the hell out of it.
Brothers in Arms was digitally recorded, which back then would be CD resolution. How would you expect it to take advantage of DVD-A's higher resolution?

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

So was "The Nightfly" I believe, and it sounds incredible on DVD-A.

It's a real treat!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Brothers in Arms was digitally recorded, which back then would be CD resolution. How would you expect it to take advantage of DVD-A's higher resolution?
Well, a multichannel mix would be a start. We also don't know if there was an analog feed recorded in addition to the strict digital recording. Does anyone know what the exact resolution this disc was originally recorded? DVD-A could provide slight advantages over CD, and at worst give us what is essentially the original master.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks