What's new

Are WEGAS Finally, And Sensibly, Available In Black? (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Hey Gang...Browsing through the Sears fall/winter catalogue 2001 as I was on the porcelain throne, I noticed they're selling the new Sony Wega KV-27FV17. Nothing odd about that, right? The peculiar thing about it, is that in their photo, it's BLACK. The detailed listing says nothing about a choice of colour. My new Sony catalogue, listing all the new Wegas, says nothing about a black set. OTOH, the same Sears book also lists the KP-61S75 as "new" (last year's model), and as having DRC technology, which I understand it most assuredly does not. So what of it, fellas? Are there any black Wegas to be found? To be honest, this is the one point that might change me from a tire-kicker to a driver, know what I mean? BTW, the Sears book to which I refer is a Canadian catalogue...Cheers!
DS.
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Dave- I went into the Ken Cranes home theater store (right across the street from Ken Cranes DVD planet) yesterday to check out the new WEGA models. And, yes, indeed the new models are not black, however, they *ARE* a dark gray color and have shiny silver buttons on the top. Very sharp design. It is now on my list for when can finally afford one at the end of this month. :)
- Brian

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Hey Brian,
Yup, I've seen some of the new Wegas too, and you're right; they are a darker grey this year (certainly darker than past models). But the pic in the catalogue to which I refer can absolutely not be construed as anything other than black. Methinks Sears is inventing stuff they can't possibly provide. On a side note, is it just me, or are the Sony designers on glue to continue to put controls on the top of the Wegas? Sure, they're handy as far as access goes, but WTF?? Don't most of us put our CCs on top of our sets? I have a pal with a new Wega; all top-panel controls are obscured by a comparitively small center he's using. Duh!! Thanks for reading and responding, Brian. Cheers!
DS.
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Dave,
I can see how the buttons on the top would be obscured by the center channel speaker. However, I see them more as a cool design thingy rather than necessary. How many of us turn on the TV the old fashioned way anymore? :)
As for Sears, I don't know. I haven't heard anything regarding the Sony models being black. Actually, this is the first time I ever saw (or heard about) dark grey WEGA models. I'm aiming to get the WEGA KV-32FV27, though as soon as this month ends. :)
- Brian

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the salesman in my sears was an idiot, but he said the sony rep told him the wegas would be coming out in white and blue later this year. I laughed out loud!

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
It seems I bought my KV-32FS12 just in time... my wife definitely prefers the silvery color and dislikes the dark grey... for once, I had good timing ! :)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Dave,
I have my center channel on top of my WEGA and it doesn't interfere with the buttons. The buttons are on an angled strip above the the screen and below the top of the TV. My center channel sits on the top of the TV (angled downward BTW). I happen to like the buttons on top. With my old tv my 2 year old would walk right up and raise the volume, lower the volume, change the change, turn it off/on!!! Now he can't come close to touching any of those buttons.
JB

I've got the KV-27FV17 and from across the room, the thing does look black. Up close or with the room lights in 'torch' mode, it has a 'cool' dark grey look to it.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Flipping through the Spring 2001 issue of Sony's "evolve" catalogue, there is indeed a black Wega! There's even a blue and a white Wega!!
However, these are only 13" sets :)
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Jaroslav Jelen

Auditioning
Yep the new Wegas are darker and from distance or on the picture they might look black. You can see the blue small wegas already out - I think I saw one in best buy -- looks like imac to me...
I definitely think the silver wegas looked better than this dark grey color, but what the hell it's a great tv even if it came in pink with yellow dots.
Btw - does everyone put their Center Channel on top of their Wega? My Center Channel is semi-big, I'm a bit afraid to put it there - but seems like I'll have no other option. Any ideas?
------------------

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
For putting a center channel on top of a smaller TV top, you can try this...
Blu-Tack (that's the actual spelling, now that I've checked)
can be found in hobby stores, and online at www.audioadvisor.com It's about $10 for a 5"x5" slab, and you only need about 1/4 or so of a slab to mount the speaker. It leaves no marks, and is reusable!

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Perry,
To mount my center channel on top of my WEGA I used an old mousepad. You can cut it in half for extra height and the bottom "grips" the tv nicely. Total cost: $.50
JB

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
John,
That is a good idea... Although, the mouse pad is not sticky on both sides. Some people might be worried the speaker could still slip off, especially with children in the house...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I asked this question about 3 weeks ago. I saw some new sets that looked like WEGAs but they were dark grey, and had no model numbers on them. The pics on the web that I found at the time were the same as the current models.
Personally, I like the new color, but I was more interested in what new FEATURES these sets have.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
When the Sony WEGA's first came out a friend of mine bought one & had it painted black at a friend's auto body shop. To me the set always looked a lot better black than silver. When you go to the movies they don't put a silver boarder around the screen to reflect the light do they? :) I'll bet it was Sony marketing that decided to make the WEGA's silver in the first place just so they would stand out on the showroom floor & in people's homes. Next they will be doing gold or bronze ones
frown.gif

Brian King

Auditioning
Carol..I'm with you on this! I think Sony is trying to change its whole line to something unique so it would stand out. I wanted the new NS700P Progressive Scanning DVD player in black. I even emailed Sony and all they said was to visit a Sony authorized dealer for Current products for purchase. WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP!! I can't believe Sony would completly change th standard look just to stand out. Marketing geniuses at work, I suppose.
BRian
------------------
Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I guess it worked, because every other TV manufacturer now seems to be putting out silver or gray flat screen style sets...So naturally Sony has to change again, before everyone else catches on. I've seen the white and blue 13" WEGAs already also.
Actually, I think bronze would be kind of cool...
tongue.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks