For JohnnyG, re: new non-HD Tosh&Panny 4:3...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Johnny,
    As a dealer of both these brands, can you tell me if either the Toshiba 36AFX61 or the Panasonic CT-36SX31
    do the anamoprphic squeeze from the user menu(remote)? Due to the rules governing my condo-townhouse, sattelite is out of the question for me, and as a resident of the GTA, you know how crummy our basic cable can be. Therefore, I've concluded that an HD set will not be the one for me (unless the line doubler, and VSM for that matter, in the 34HF81 can be defeated). BTW, do you know if the VSM in these non-HD sets can be defeated?
    As for the squeeze, I've decided to make it a deal-breaker in any set I buy, so I can at least get greater enjoyment from my discs. No user-menu squeeze will equal no new TV for me [​IMG] I understand Sony's non-HD Wega does the squeeze, but I'm just not too keen on the Big S, if you know what I mean. Thanks for any help you may provide, Johnny, and thanks also to anyone else who might care to weigh in with their valued opinions. Cheers!
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
    Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

2. Michael St. Clair

I know that the HD-ready 4:3 direct-view Toshibas coming out this fall can squeeze (like the 36HF71). This works for 480i/480p/1080i, so you would be set up for DVD.
    I think (am almost sure) that the non-HD-ready 4:3 direct-view Toshibas cannot squeeze.
    I don't know about Panasonic.

3. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

...and I think that that's bad news for me, Micheal. Thanks anyway, my friend.
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Dave, don't count an HD set out yet! I know that Rogers is working on having FIVE channels of HD by the end of the year! They will be using the Explorer 3100HD set-top. The rollout will probably be in the November/December timeframe.
    The user manual for the Toshiba set is online at http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...V/2001tvct.htm
    Unfortunately, it doesn't do the 'squeeze trick'. Neither does the Panasonic. On the Toshiba projection sets, setting the picture mode to "Movie" and adjusting the setting from there disables, or greatly minimizes, SVM. I would assume that the direct-view sets work the same, but I can't confirm.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

5. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks for your reply, Johnny; I don't think I'm ready to give up just yet (my position on no HD may soften). Any word on how soon you'll have the 34H81, the 36HFX71 and the 42H81 in store? Your site indicates they'll be similarily priced, correct? Also, following the link you provided, there's no maual for the 34H81, just one for a 34AS41. Haven't heard of this one, but a glimpse of the manual indicates it's a simple 4:3, and one I wouldn't likely be interested in.
    BTW Johnny, I must say the price and the combo of the Panny 47" and RP56 is mighty tempting. Can Panny's 47 incher really compete with Tosh's 42H81?
    Thanks again for all your help, sir. Cheers.
    DS.
    ------------------

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Dave, I've got a couple of 42H81's on the floor right now. One's leaving tomorrow, but the other will be here over this weekend. I have not decided which, if any, of the direct-view sets I'm going to put on display (they won't be shipping for a couple more weeks).
    As for the manuals, those that you indicated will be added around the time the units ship.
    I've got a fully calibrated PT-47 on the floor too!
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on September 20, 2001 at 12:57 PM]

7. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

Isn't the latest model Toshiba direct view HD capable set the 36HF72 ? That's whats on their website yet I see people on this forum talking about the 36HF71 just arriving in stores, etc, in recent (aug 2002) posts.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

For Toshiba and Panasonic, any TV model number ending in a '1' is a 2001 model year product and '2' is a 2002 model year.

9. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

Thanks JohnnyG. Can you tell me if the 2002 Panasonic or Toshiba 36" (36HF72 or 36HFX72) direct view HDTV capable sets have the dvi/hdcp interface or is SONY the only one? I'm going to get one of these sets and would prefer to have the DVI/HDCP interface just in case.

10. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Dave, just my two cents here, but I live in Newfoundland, and hell rogers is only offering 1 HD channel, needless to say im not jumping up my cable bill by 50 dollars (Id ahve to go digital as well, and i dont even want 99% of those channels) just for one channel.

But i still bought the toshiba 36HFX71 and could not be happier, the line doubler even makes VHS look good so I would seriously look at getting a HD ready set. it will prevent you from upgrading in a couple of years.

good luck with the decision.