What's new

Close-Out Models: Onk 575X, Or Marantz SR-5000? (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Hey guys,
I've got a friend who's somewhat green about our hobby, but he's sharp enough to know that paying a little more for a quality entry-level unit will reap dividends in the future. He's primarily interested in just music for the moment, possible DVD in the future. Not interested in separates. Budget is around $7-800CDN, (roughly a bit less than $500US, I suppose)purchase will be made at one of the chain outfits here in Toronto (a web-purchase is not an option). My choices for him come down to these two close-out models: Onkyo 575X, and Marantz SR-5000 (features are completly comparable, unless I'm overlooking something). Unfortunately, the speaker purchase will have to follow the receiver. We're leaning toward a pair of small Axiom towers, because the bang for the buck is unrivalled. Can any Onk or Marantz owners (or anyone else, 'course :))weigh in with their opinions? Thanks, fellas. Cheers!
DS.
------------------
"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not familiar with the SR5000, or the Onkyo 575, but I have an SR8000 in my home theater, and an Onkyo TX-8211 in my kitchen.
Marantz receivers are renowned for quality audio sound and I have to agree with that assessment. Its a warm, detailed sound. The Onkyo s fine, it powers in-ceiling and outdoor speakers, but I prefer the Marantz sound.
And if it provides great 2-channel sound I think you'll find it is great for HT too. I drive extremely difficult electrostatic speakers and it performs really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks