Help! Crackling Volume On Yammie 795a!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey gang,
    Using a Yamaha 795a receiver, have loved it for nearly two years now, except...I'm occasionally hearing a crackle during quiet passages (in movies and music) when I adjust the volume. Not a real earth-shaking problem, just need to know if It's a problem to do with my home, or if the Yammie itself is faulty. As I have roughly a month remaining on the warranty, I need to determine if a service call is in order. Thanks for your help.
    Cheers,
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
    Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Could be your volume control is going bad. I'd take it in just to be on the safe side since your warranty is almost out.

3. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks for the speedy reply, Keith; to the shop it will go...
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
    Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

4. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    The crackling is from a dirty potentiometer (volume control). If it is still in warranty, you should definately send it in, so they can clean it.
    Otherwise, you can clean it with Radio Shack TV Tuner cleaner. Take the knob off of the unit, and spray some of the cleaner into the hole around the shaft on the volume control. Turn the shaft back and forth several times (with the unit off and unplugged by the way), and then replace everything. The crackling should be gone.
    This, however, seems to be one of those things that once you get it, it keeps coming back. A temporary fix is to spin the knob full length back and forth (with the power off) several times. It should work out some of the dust from the volume control.
    ------------------
    Randy Tennison
    Kansas City, MO
    Home theater photos located at
    http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor