Why Is The My Pal's Wega Picture So Crummy??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Spent a few hours tonight at a pal's place helping him program his new Rat Shack 1994 remote, had Finding Forrester going in the background. He has a new Sony Wega KV-32FS12, and the 16:9 squeeze feature was engaged. But I just could not help but notice how crappy the picture was. Brightly lit scenes seemed fine, but the darker scenes? Forget it. Most notably, the backgrounds of the darker scenes displyed zero detail, in fact, they were downright muddy. Reminds me of watching full-motion cut-scenes in old computer games on CD-ROM; the backgrounds almost appeared to have been "painted", if you know what I mean. I watched the same disc just days ago on my ten year old 27" Trinitron; was really very pleasing. Okay, this fella's set has not been ISF'ed, and neither of us has access to Avia or VE, so I don't expect miracles, but come on!! Brightness and picture controls have been turned down, VSM is off. I'm dyin' to get my hands on a bigger set, but not if this is what I can expect. My questions:
    1.) Why is his picture so crummy, and what can he do about it, and,
    2.) How come, other than the size difference of our sets, does the same disc look so much sweeter on my old, steam-powered, 20th century antique?
    Thanks for your help, fellas. Cheers!
    DS.
    ------------------
    "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"
    Dave's Really Moldy HT Page

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

"Brightness" has been turned down? I can understand turning down the Picture control. That is usually too high from the factory. Brightness needs to be adjusted to make black in scenes just dark enough to appear black. Too high a brightness setting makes the picture look washed out. Too low kills off shadow detail and and dark scenes.
    It IS easier with a calibration disc as the test patterns are designed to make the correct adjustment point more obvious.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Tam Jen Yee

Tam Jen Yee Extra

I got exactly the same darkness problem like your friend with my Sony RPTV. Did your friend manage to fix his TV darkness problem?
    I used Avia to calibrate but the problem persists. I even up the brightness but it didn't make much difference. Is it because the TV is faulty in the first place?

5. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

At the very least, rent a DVD that has a THX Optimode (T2 Special Edition) and use it. You can adjust the "Standard" setting to Optimode, exactly. It will be dark, but that's OK.
    Then go to Movie mode and move the contrast and brightness up 2 clicks.
    Then 2 more clicks for Sports mode and another 2 for Vivid.
    This will give you a decent picture for any lighting scenario.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

6. Tam Jen Yee

Tam Jen Yee Extra

It doesn't seems to be a bright level problem... there are simply NO or very little details in the shadow or dark background.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Tam, what Avia pattern did you use to set your brightness (i.e. black level)? Did you use the standard Avia moving bars black with right hand side gray pattern? This is the one used under Basic Patterns. If so, go into the Video Patterns and look at the all black pattern and the black with right hand side white pattern. Is the Brightness setting the same for these patterns? Is there any variation? This will tell you if your set is holding its black level well across varying picture intensities. In addition, make sure to calibrate with the same room lighting as you use when you watch tv and/or dvds. Finally, recheck your contrast setting using Avia. I find the easiest way to set white level using the Avia dvd is to lower the contrast setting to 0 and then tick it up until the color on the Avia pattern begins to look nice and white instead of a greyish white.
    good luck,
    --tom

8. Chris Speights

Chris Speights Auditioning

I think I have the same problem. I calibrated my 36FS13 with AVIA and while watching MI:2 afterwards, I noticed some really muddy and undefined blacks. I really noticed it in the scene where Tom Cruise meets Nya at the somewhat dark dance club. Tom is wearing a dark jacket and as he walks around it looks like a big undefined black blob that he is wearing. I have heard that the older Wega's should have the Y-DC adjusted to correct the black levels but I don't have this in my menu (maybe the variable name changed) and I'm not even sure if this would fix it anyways. Between that and the uneven brightness, I'm a little disappointed considering the amount the TV cost, but the picture is good that I really hope this stuff is fixable at some point.
    Chris

9. Tam Jen Yee

Tam Jen Yee Extra

That means there is nothing wrong with the bright level setting... is anyone out there able to resolve the undefined black muddy problem?

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Tam and Chris, have you checked the black level via the Avia test patterns I mentioned in an earlier post? If the set is not holding black level well, then, depending on your eyes, you can really notice it. You may also want to make sure that you have any Enhanced Black Level setting/option on your dvd player turned off.
    cheers,
    --tom

11. Tam Jen Yee

Tam Jen Yee Extra

I am pretty sure about the Avia black level setting. I'm using Pioneer 535k dvd player. But I don't think it’s the dvd playback problem solely because the cable programmes too display a lack of detail for dark scene or object.
    [Edited last by Tam Jen Yee on August 03, 2001 at 01:04 PM]

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

CRUMMY? I have yet to see a Crummy picture on a wega when it is playing a DVD. Frankly my Sony 36XBR400 shows the clearest most detailed picture I've ever seen on a direct view or projection TV. I tend to think your pal's TV is either woefully out of calibration and/or defective.
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on August 03, 2001 at 09:10 PM]

13. Chris Speights

Chris Speights Auditioning

I have checked the black level with Avia. I had just done the basic Avia adjusting. I played the scene a bunch of times and kept changing settings to see if I could improve it and I did notice that in Movie mode, the muddy black effect was much less prominent. This is the mode I calibrated the TV in. I did set all of the black level, color, hue, and sharpness levels the same on the other picture modes but they still obviously make some changes to service menu types of things as the picture gets brighter/sharper/less precise/etc in all other modes. I was almost thinking that the uneven brightness might have caused the problem with the scene as I notice it the most when he is on the right side of the Tv screen. This notion may be tainted because I know about the uneven brightness, but they could be related.
    Chris

14. Tam Jen Yee

Tam Jen Yee Extra

Hmm.. but I don't think my Sony RPTV has uneven brightness problem...