What's new

Are tv seasons getting shorter??? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember as a kid (late 70's to early 80's) that the tv seasons were longer. I remeber shows use to start at the begining to mid September and end at the end of May, even into June sometimes. Now it seems all the shows start in October and end in early to mid May. Look at the X-Files. The first few seasons were between 24-26 episodes. Now, I think it is 22 episodes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the network groundhog, Punxatawny Bill, didn't see his shadow, so the season got cut short again. :)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
We also get a ton of reruns halfway through the season, usually around the holidays. Has that always been the case? I know it's been like that for at least the last 15 or so years, but for the last few years it seems to have been getting worse - like all of November, December and half of January.

Joel

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think the in-season rerun thing has gotten better lately - shows not starting until October and ending in May compresses the season by 4-6 weeks, and you're seeing a lot more timesharing on the schedules - for example, rather than running "Ally McBeal" reruns, Fox is using the slot for "The American Embassy", much as WB has been going with an "all-new, all-season" strategy for Wednesdays at 9, alternating "Felicity" with "Jack & Jill" and "Glory Days". Extended sports events and game shows are also taking the place of a lot of reruns.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
NBC is angering me. They had no new shows(ER,Law & Order, Friends, etc) for a few weeks because of the Olympics. Then they have like one or two new episodes and now it's back to repeats for a few more weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks