What's new

Are there going to be any dvd audio/sacd "audio only" combo players? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
As many of you know, I have been looking for a good progressive scan dvd audio/sacd combo player, but was wondering if there are any future plans for just a dvd audio/sacd player without any video? I have always liked keeping my audio and video seperate. That is why I have a stand alone sacd player right now. I want 2 players. I want one dedicated for video only and one dedicated for audio only. I was almost sold on the Yamaha universal combo player but it looks like the video performance on the Panasonic RP91 is better and it is a steal for $399.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Kevin, I wondered the same thing as jeff but on the condition that the player had only a minimal video section with maybe a composite or S-video out or both, only. A video section that only suppourts DVD-A's limited needs. I'm thinking that DVD players shouldn't be compromised for so many kinds of discs. I. too, would like an audio only performance mah-sheen.:)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If the DVD-A player has the ability to switch between groups, you can play the various groups (e.g. multi-channel, 2-channel, DD, DTS) for discs so authored by hitting that button. For discs authored to a newer spec you can toggle between DVD-A mixes (stereo, multi-channel) by use of the audio button since they are on the same bitstream. Pioneer universal players (those based on it) and some others do not have a group button function. Others like Kenwood do have it. If both formats take hold and become successful at some point in the future, you might see a high end co. make something like that. At this point in time, I would doubt that anything is in the works. I also doubt that over the long-term both formats will survive as a popular mass market product. Sooner or later based on available software from popular artists and at price points that are acceptable to the public, the market will dictate which, if any, of the 2 formats will survive as a mainstream product.

GlenHall

Auditioning
If you want the best of both worlds, do what I did.
Buy the RP91 for your video and get a DV45A for DVD-A and SACD.
Then go to tweakaudio.com and have Rick mod the 45A for $600.
It sounds as good as my Meridian, on DVD-A(maybe better) and better than any SACD player I've heard.
For $1000 total cost, nothing avalible today can touch it.

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks