Denon DVD-1600 vs. DVD-2900's DVD-A capability

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ReggieW, Jul 16, 2003.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I have been considering the 2900 for a few months now, but feel that I won't be getting much of an upgrade over my current Denon DVD-1600/Sony SCD-C222es combo. The 1600's video quality is said to be a little better than the 2900's, and the SACD capability on the 2900, so I've read from many, is probably on par with the 222es but definitely not better (also keep in mind that the 222es is an audio only unit - and a changer to boot). The only advantage I could see in the 2900 would be better DVD-A performance and possibly better redbook performance. I just ordered a NAD T762 which has nice crystal DAC's and HDCD decoding, so it now seems questionable that the Denon would best this in the redbook department. Getting to the point...Is the DVD-A performance of the 2900 that much better than the 1600's that I would want to go out and upgrade now? I am personally waiting for a universal player with DVI inputs and a digital connection for DVD-A/SACD. I currently don't have multi-channel SACD capability because my receiver does not have but one pair of 5.1 inputs (The NAD will only have one pair as well), so this would be an advantage for the 2900, though I'm told that I could purchase switchers which won't degarde the sound quality. I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts.

Reg

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Reggie,
    the real advantage of the 2900 is working BM.
    I'm not sure if that's "important" to you,but there it is.
    It's also makes a great CD player,and what about 6 less cbales.

4. PhilMays

PhilMays Stunt Coordinator

Thats why I want the universal player. After you back out the cost of cables and a switch and add that to the price of a decent dvd player then you can justify a universal player.

My only hesitation is these are still fairly new products. I bet in 6 months to a year the price will come down quite a bit with perhaps even better technology.