Is there going to be a Dvd audio/SACD audio only player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Adams, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have the Denon 1600 for my video player and now am interested in an ALL audio player for SACD/DVD-AUDIO and cd playback. Are there going to be any high quality all audio combo players anytime soon?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wish!!!! I doubt it...[​IMG] This has occured to me too. To me the perfect audio player would have only minimal video capability to accomodate DVD-A, maybe just a composite or S-video output. To us this is a good idea but I'm not so sure it fits the mass-market plans of electronic giants. Best wishes![​IMG]

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

So because of mass marketing the purist is going to get screwed? I like to keep my audio and video seperate. I know there is a niche market for high end cd players,such as Creek ,Marantz,Denon and Rega Planet,so why not universal sacd/dvd audio/cd players?

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

DVD-Audio is the reason that there are video circuits in these players, because some DVD-A discs are designed to use video menus and to play video interviews.

If you want to keep things separate, get a standalone SACD player.

-JNS

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I agree with the standalone audio player. Just curious about the 5.1 audio analog out. I was hoping that the outlaw ICBM had a extra input since you can put it between a pre / amp and add an input without throwing out your existing system.
    Is the Sony TAP 9000ES the only way to do that?
    I am running out of shelves!

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jagan is right. DVD-Audio player with no video circuitry could make playing certain DVD-Audio discs difficult, if not impossible. I've heard no plans from any manufacturers of making a DVD-Audio player with no video capability. Perhaps one could make a DVD-Audio player that didn't play DVD-Video discs but did offer playback of video content from DVD-Audio discs. However, I have to wonder if the format standard mandates DVD-Video capability.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was thinking about when Pioneer left off the optical out from their CLD 504 LD player...they saved maybe $2 on parts but charged quite a bit more
    Even though all the video circuits are there, they could leave the connector off the back and charge $50 less