What's new

Are there further LOTR special editions planned? (1 Viewer)

John Simon

Second Unit
I bought the theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring when it came out, and I'm now debating whether to buy the Theatrical version or the expanded version of Two Towers. But I'd first like to know if anyone's aware of a planned re-release of the DVDS following Return of the King next year. I can't imagine what else they could include, but I thought it worth asking since I'll hold off on the EE if I know thee will be an even better edition in the works.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
New Line have said the EE's are a definitive release in terms of extras and overall quality and they wouldn't burn fans by re-releasing them over and over. If they ever re-release them on DVD I don't think they will replicate the extras. If I were you I would buy the current releases.

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing they may do is put all 3 extended Boxes in one big set once RoTK comes out in Extended Edition.

They may do the same for the Theatrical Version too.

But it would most likely not have anything new with it, just a set for those who say they will" wait and buy the "big" set once they are all out" ;)

-Owl

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I doubt they're going to re-release these anytime soon.

About a year ago Ian Mckellen hinted on his official website about a follow-up DVD containing more extras like the blooper reels. He said he was lobbying to get the French & Saunders Lord of the Rings episode included on it.

Gregory

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
New Line has been pretty good about keeping fans in the loop. Other than the EE, I don't think we will see a "new" release until HD-DVD. Unless of course Jackson ever edits it all together as one film as he has suggested before. Even then, I'm sure he is ready for a nice long break from all things related to LOTR.

I'd say you are safe with the EE.

JasonTil

Agent
Unless of course Jackson ever edits it all together as one film as he has suggested before.
I'm still not through FOTR's EE's, that is the only way that I'll be interested in re-buying the films until HD-DVD, then all bets are off.

An HD-DVD set of these films would be preciousssssssssss.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
As others have said, I think there are no other editions planned at this time... Why would there, the Extended Editions completely obliterate every other DVD release these days anyway... :)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Geez, can you imagine sitting through all three extended editions in one sitting next year? Talk about an endurance test...but I'll probably do it. :D

SvenS

Second Unit
I bought the theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring when it came out, and I'm now debating whether to buy the Theatrical version or the expanded version of Two Towers. But I'd first like to know if anyone's aware of a planned re-release of the DVDS following Return of the King next year. I can't imagine what else they could include, but I thought it worth asking since I'll hold off on the EE if I know thee will be an even better edition in the works.
You are aware that there is already a Extended Edition of LOTR: Fellowship Of The Ring are you not? You make mention of the EE of The Two Towers but none about the FOTR. I certainly can't believe you would know the existance of a 4 DVD Extended Edition set for FOTR and still be asking if they plan a SE of FOTR.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still waiting for the LOTR Extreme Double Secret Tricked Out Edition....

John Simon

Second Unit

Yeah, I actually bought the EE for a relative last year. I meant to say that I prefered to only purchase the theatrical version of Fellowship because I was not that impressed with the first chapter. But I thoroughly enjoyed TT, leading to my debate over which version to buy now.

Clint B

Second Unit
I don't think we have to worry about a "super duper extended edition" of all three movies in the current DVD format. However, I just re-watched my FOTR EE with the director's commentary, and PJ does remark about wanting to re-do Gollum in FOTR EE to make him look more like the Gollum in TTT and ROTK. I wouldn't be surprised to see this change when the movies hit HD-DVD.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Geez, can you imagine sitting through all three extended editions in one sitting next year? Talk about an endurance test...but I'll probably do it.
You can almost do it this year in the theaters! They are releasing the Extened versions of FOTR and TT in theaters and on the 16th in some cities they are going to have triple features of all three films.

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks