What's new

Are there any rare DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Just hopped over to Best Buy's web site and found...
Robocop - The Criterion Collection
Not Rated, Ships in 2-3 days, $34.99
So it might not be exactly "rare" if I hit it on the first try and they actually HAVE some to sell.
I'm in a spending freeze for now...so sayeth my fiance'. So if anybody's looking for a wedding present to send... :D

Robert Elrod

Agent
There was a THX trailer DVD that was released when DVD's were first out. The disc contained all of the THX trailers, including 'The Simpson's'. There were only a few hundred copies or so and they were only available at a tech show. I remember they were selling for a lot of money on ebay.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Akira SE Tin
As an owner of this "Limited Edition" I can tell you that the only thing limited about it is the Tin packaging, which, by the way, is a complete piece of junk. The spine hinges break, and when the disc holders break, (and they will) you will be SOL, becuase they cannot be replaced. Although I think it looks cool, I regret buying it. Rare or not, it sucks. I would now buy the standard keep-case SE.

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Although I think it looks cool, I regret buying it. Rare or not, it sucks. I would now buy the standard keep-case SE.
I've often wondered about the quality of the case. Sometimes I have been tempted to buy the version in the keep case despite the fact that I own the tin. You have just convinced me that I should buy the keep case and cart that one around when I want to watch movies with my friends.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i have robocop and silence of the lambs criterion dvds. i also have one of the rare set of the frighteners laserdisc in the director's cut. i know it's not a dvd but it's still very rare and i kinda think of selling it ;)
about salo i only can say this: the film is booring, better say very booring. i watched it ones and i think i'll never gonna do it again!!!
btw, i gonna get the first release of the devils advocate as a litte present from a very good friend which makes me very happy as i finally going to see the film as it was intended :D
if there are any more rare dvds in my collection then someone can check the list in my signature and can tell me here if there any more rare ones ;)

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
The Takashi Miike film "Audition" region 1 DVD is apparently very rare since it's out of print and going over 100 dollars on Amazon.com. The same thing with the Takashi Miike collection (Audition/The City of Lost Souls/The Happiness of the Katakuris). Damn, I wish I bought these sooner.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
My Puppetmaster box went OOP long ago....and it was the first box set I ever bought. I've seen it on ebay for hundreds of dollars, and some dude has now asked me TWICE in 2 years to sell it to him...and he'd pay $300.
No chance.:D

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Of those already mentioned, I own the following.

I Know What You Did Last Summer (With Scream mentioned on package & Trailer)

Devils Advocate (With intact sculpture scene)

Little Shop of Horrors-1986 (With Alternate Ending)

All were bought at retail and at regular prices.

Are any of the following rare or valuable.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (2 Disc Limited Edition)

Lawrence of Arabia (2 Disc Limited Edition)

Men in Black -Limited Edition (In Clamshell)

Toy Story - Ultimate Toy Box

Jurassic Park Trilogy Set with Beyond Disc.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Best Buy found a "lost" crate of Dances with Wolves DTS and were selling them at face value, while they were selling on eBay for $50-$75. Prices dropped while BB had them, but they creeped back up as soon as they sold out. Each store only got a few copies. I picked up 2 for $30.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Re-Animatior Millenium disc from Elite is rare?

I just saw about 47 copies on shelf at Metro Video 15 minutes ago...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Takashi Miike film "Audition" region 1 DVD is apparently very rare since it's out of print and going over 100 dollars on Amazon.com.
Isn't the R2 edition (which I have) better, anyway? For $100 you can buy a multi-region DVD player and the R2 DVD... People are just nuts.

Ted

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
What's the story on this DVD? I rented it from Netflix after seeing Shadow of the Vampire. When I saw it mentioned in this thread I checked back to Netflix to see if it was the same movie. NOW it's listed as a "Save" with an unknown release date. What gives?
BTW, this thread will be of GREAT help when I hit garage sales and flea markets this summer!:D

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I don't get the big deal with Salo. I just bought the MGM/BFI region 2 version instead of the Criterion release. Its uncut with a footage not even in the Criterion release and from the reivews I read, has a better transfer.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
Went to Amoeba in Hollywood yesterday. The Last Days of Disco was in the collectable glass case, going for $70.00.

ryanCollins

Stunt Coordinator
the kate winslet movie hideous kinky-brings really high in region 1 on ebay.

beau pere-high money

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm kicking myself that I never bought a copy of Anchor Bay's Two Lane Blacktop--it's really pricey on ebay and amazon sellers' lists. Perhaps Universal could release it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks