What's new

Are there any rare DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Carlo

Grip
I've never seen one. Is there such a thing? If DVDs are collectible, then there has to be some special, rare DVDs out there.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Most Out Of Print Criterion discs are pretty collectible. Discs such as The Killer and Hard Boiled sell for $100+ on ebay. I've seen the Criterion 400 Blows sell for $300 on ebay.

Carlo

Grip
Ahh, I see. That price is currently out of my reach. Also, I have yet to see a Criterion edition. Just imagine how much a first copy would rake in, especially if it is a Criterion one.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Region 1 of GIANT put out by Warner Brothers last year only in Canada and pulled off the shelves within a few weeks with no intent of bringing it back, is definately a rare DVD.
The very "first" DVD releases of 1997 which includes IMAX Tropical Rainforest and the music video Blue Danube came in jewel cases much like music CD's come in. They are VERY rare now since these were the actual first DVD's and so few produced because no one had players then except the Japanese.
I believe a few copies of Little Shop of Horrors and a first pressing of A Star Is Born which came out a year later, are also very scarce.
There are MANY discs that have been produced in low numbers which are hard to find but can be had if you shop around such as Elite's version of Night of the Living Dead, Jayne Mansfield's Las Vegas Hillbillys, and Paramount's Tycus come to mind in my collection.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I have heard that the original release of Platoon, the one not released by MGM is pretty rare. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...perhaps not quite "rare"... yet ... but still...
Apocalypse Now as-it-once-was will probably never be re-released,
since it has been replaced/superseded by the longer, re-edited,
restored Apocalypse Now Redux...
. . . . . .

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Region 1 of GIANT put out by Warner Brothers last year only in Canada and pulled off the shelves within a few weeks with no intent of bringing it back, is definately a rare DVD.
To think that I could have had an extra copy of that one (the A&B Sound branch brought in 2 copies when I special-ordered it and asked me if I wanted them both). At least I got one. :)
RD

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Drew,

I was wondering why I know what you did last summer. I think I have this and think it was hard to get

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
I have heard that the original release of Platoon, the one not released by MGM is pretty rare. I'm not sure if this is true or not.
You mean the 'Live' DVD of Platoon? Since the MGM Platoon:SE included all the extras from the Live DVD and anamorphic widescreen to boot, I suppose the value of that DVD dropped somewhat since it now appeals only to true collectors of rare DVDs.

Anyone knows if the Live DVD is still selling on DVD and at what price? Before the MGM DVD came out, it was going for quite a bit on EBay if I recall correctly.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the Live DVD of Platoon on Ebay since the first MGM one came out. I remember seeing one go for 200 dollars one time.

Michael Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Salo went for 850 $ a couple of weeks ago on Ebay, so I would consider that the ultimate rare.

Also the Pasolini life trilogy: Decameron, Centerbury Tales and Arabian Nights from Image are rare.

Queens greatest Flix 1+2 (pal) are rare since they were only sold along with a panasonic player some years ago.

Salo is on top though...followed by 400 Blows and The Killer.

Michael Eriksen

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I Know What You Did Last Summer - The first pressings had a trailer that was misleading. So Columbia Tri-Star re-issued with a different trailer. The first pressing's trailer indicated that it was from the creators of Scream which is only partially correct.

Salo: Criterion Collection Edition and The Killer: Criterion Collection Edition are pretty high on the rare scale.

And these international releases are pretty rare...

Third Watch: Collection One(Japan R2) - Came with the first half of season one and a "rescue" light(flashlight).

Dances With Wolves(Spanish R2) - Three DVD set with the extended cut, director's approved cut, supplements, lobby card, poster, and nifty box.

James Bond Collection(UK R2) - Came in a limited edition tin shell and had ALL 19 United Artists James Bond films inside.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Kiss Of The Vampire is OOP, but I don't think it's worth much, even though it is unlikely a lot of copies were pressed.
RD

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Salo wins it, hands-down. I just saw a used copy at the new Amoeba Music in Hollywood going for $400.

$850 is unbelievable. You have to wonder if those purchasing this have actually seen the movie, which is about as unpleasant as they get. I tell people that it's sort of "like a snuff movie directed by Peter Greenaway."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks