1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where/How Would You Donate Your DVDs And CDs?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by greenscreened, Feb 11, 2019.

1. greenscreened

greenscreened Stunt Coordinator

Bob
    I went to my local library (a rather large branch) today and asked them how I would go about donating them.

I have approx 1000 actual Cds and 300 actual DVDS, half movies, half complete seasons.

They said they rarely put them on the shelves.
    Instead, they give them to the 'Friends Of The Library' bookstore (in the same building) to sell them.

That's all well and good as they will still somehow receive some monies from them.
    I don't mind as they belong to them now.

The only thing wrong with that is although I have an meh-OK DVD collection (nothing close in numbers to actual movie "classics" that most of you here have, my TV selection is slightly better), it's some of my obscure musical artists and genres that I would like to make sure that more people hear, as opposed to the sole person who buys a complete season for less than ten bucks, or an older musical box set title for about for about the same price for themselves and possibly a friend or two to enjoy.

Many box sets, the most recent being the 50th Sgt. Peppers and White album.

My original thought about a decade ago, was to find a library in the tulies somewhere that had no movies or music collection, or merely a bare-bones one, in hopes that would get the parents out to the library with their kids, who in turn, might get interested in checking out books or the like.

Then of course that may spark others to now add some of their favorites as well.

Repeating, if you had an obscure movie title, especially a hard to find classic, would you rather have one or many enjoy it?

I did think of printing up some lists and ask them to pick any or all that they would place on their shelves...out of the question?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, but I think I'm rather limited in my options.

phillyrobt likes this.
  2. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    Goodwill. Salvation Army, used cd DVD store or put a sign saying "Free" and leave at your curb.

Libraries don't have the manpower to deal with 1000s of discs and cataloging. Not to mention there me be copyright issues etc.

almost nobody in this day and age go to libraries to borrow movies or music since kids today have iTunes,Spotify, Netflix at their fingertips.

3. Message #3 of 17 Feb 12, 2019 at 12:39 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:50 AM
    greenscreened

Bob

I don't know about copyright issues or even ethical ones in regards to libraries supplying audio and video media, as people can still borrow copyrighted books from them.

You're correct that some people are strictly committed to downloads and the like and nothing else, yet some people prefer to hold actual books in their hands, and not a Kindle, as well as the actual CD/DVD in their hands.

Also, one of the times I visited the Brand Library in Glendale, CA around 2009, their curator told me they had an inventory of approx 110,000 CDs, with approx 90,000 in the building at all times waiting to be checked out.

I'm still in the mode of not wanting to have at least some of the stuff reach the hands of many, as opposed to just one, if I can help it.

Before I offload it to Goodwill and the likes, which sometimes articles are taken by staff before they even hit the shelves for sale for their worthy cause, I'd rather rent a booth at a local farmer's market or swap meet and give one or two away for free to anyone interested in a particular vein.

This way, there might be a better chance the article will get some usage, instead of the chance of being eventually tossed w/o ever being played in it's entirety because they got it for free or dirt cheap and it's not really their style.

Selling to a music store is a good idea, but as you say, there are so many other ways to listen to or view that material, that the actual physical media is so cheap, it wouldn't be worth my while to spend the time waiting for them to inspect and price them all.

phillyrobt likes this.
  4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Maybe see if you can donate them to retirement homes or veterans organizations? We had a collection for vets/seniors at my office last year and one of the items requested was CD's of all types of music, and DVD movies (though they asked that we not submit horror or super-violent movies).

Many of these people would be on fixed or low incomes and likely do not have streaming services, but may have a disc player.

5. greenscreened

Bob

Excellent idea. I would have never thought of that.

I was also thinking of the local fire departments since they stay there possibly several days at a time.
    When they're through, possibly hand them off to victims of a fire who's laptop was saved, or they can re-donate or sell them, but I like yours better.

Malcolm R likes this.
  6. Message #6 of 17 Feb 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Another great idea. :thumbsup:

I've donated quite a few to Goodwill or local thrift shops over the years, but like you, I suspect that the staff cull through everything before it hits the shelves.

Sometimes I just bring a box into the office and let co-workers help themselves. That usually goes over pretty well, too.

Any that happen to be new and still sealed, I'll sometimes drop into collection boxes at Christmas for charities to give away as gifts to families.

greenscreened likes this.
  7. greenscreened

Bob
    Another good one, as I maybe have half a dozen or so of unopened ones.

8. Message #8 of 17 Feb 12, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 9:37 PM
    The Drifter

The Drifter Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Good topic. Like a lot of people who have collected media over the years (specifically CD's/DVD's/Blu's) there will come a time when I have to go through it all & do a "purge" by getting rid of some of the items. Obviously, there are several choices open to everyone regarding getting rid of unwanted items:

1) Sell the items, either online or to a pawn shop/Half Price Books (or the equivalent), etc.
    2) Give the items away to friends/family
    3) Give the items away to a Goodwill (or the equivalent) and/or a local library.

Re: 1) above, a pawn shop and/or someplace like Half Price Books is going to give you very little for these items. You may be able to make slightly more $ selling them online, but that's more of a hassle - and you have to figure in the shipping, etc. And, to be honest - unless an item is really valuable because of rarity, etc. - you won't get much for these no matter where you try to sell them. Heck, you can go into any local Big Lots & find some older films on DVD/Blu - brand new - for $3 - $5 each. So, it's unlikely you'll get much for opened/used media - for the most part.

Re: 2) above, I have given some items away to friends/family who wanted them, but since they typically don't like the same things I do - this doesn't happen to often.

So, for the most part I go with 3) above. I.e., it's easiest to just give them away to an organization that may benefit from them. I like giving items to my local library. Even if they don't put them in circulation, at least they'll try to sell them - thereby making $ for the library system (if the items sell).

9. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    It's an interesting dilemma. I posed the same basic question [but regarding hardware] in another recent thread. My personal preference would be to "keep it in the family." We have a community of enthusiasts here but we are all at different points on our journey in life and our beloved hobby. If I have something to donate I would prefer it go to someone who will actually appreciate it. At this point the logistics haven't been "imagined" yet but that doesn't mean it's not possible. As in the other thread, I'm looking for creative thinkers to chime in.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Perhaps the hardware could be used by a local school or community college? Many of them show films in classrooms, but the sound is usually decidedly low-tech. It might lead the students become more engaged if there is good surround sound.

The downside to this is I'm not sure if the equipment might be more susceptible to theft in a semi-public setting, and there would need to be staff at the school that actually knows how to connect and use the equipment if it's to be worthwhile.

greenscreened and John Dirk like this.
  11. John Dirk

Supporter

JOHN
    Great idea for more basic equipment but I don't know that any school [library, etc.] could make proper use of a $2000.00 SVS subwoofer or a $7000.00 4K projector. If donated they might try to use it but I still think the best scenario would be to have it re purposed in a setting like this one. We just have to work out the logistics.

12. greenscreened

Bob
    There is a meetup forum here, maybe trades can be a part of them?

Sure, the mails require somewhat meager shipping and handling charges, and meetups may require Ga$, but the latter can not only allow for multiple trades that in the end is cheaper than all the S&H charges combined, but gets us out and away for a day.

And just in case someone finds the holy grail of what they've been searching for since who knows when, but can't wait to get home to view it, we can always have a couple or three dozen car DVD player installers at the ready for the ride home!!!;)

John Dirk likes this.
  13. greenscreened

Bob
    Many schools and universities have auditoriums which would be a plus for the surround setting.

I know it it were me donating that gear or something similar, I not only would be happy to give the teacher and perhaps a teacher's aid/assistant a quick class on the equipment (I'm sure most donators would), in fact, I would almost insist on it.

I think though that John's keep it in the family point is the more assured way it will be used more frequently and will not just sit and collect dust, or eventually get sold or stolen.

14. Message #14 of 17 Feb 12, 2019 at 9:45 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    The Drifter

The Drifter Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Hmmmm...well, maybe younger kids just stream everything. But at least some adults my age (late 40's) seem to not mind borrowing physical media from the library. Speaking just for myself, I do borrow CD's, and if they have them - DVD's/Blu's from the library. I like streaming, but prefer physical media. And, with video rental stores going the way of the dodo since around 2010-ish (i.e., Blockbuster/Hollywood Video) there aren't a lot of places to go that even have items like this that you can borrow. And, I don't like using Redbox.

David Weicker likes this.
  15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I have over 200 DVD titles ready, and boxed to go to my nearest Goodwill.

It will be nice making room for more Blu-Ray discs!

16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    And quite sensible (very reasonable, too), because some of those vets might take horror or excessive violence as being too much like the military service that they got out of (some might have PTSD).

17. John Dirk

Supporter

JOHN
    Great point and possibly a great starting place as you suggested.

bmasters9 likes this.