What's new

Are There Any Canadian R1 Releases Better than US R1 Releases? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
After having seen that Brotherhood of the Wolf was available in Canada in a very nice 3-Disc set, complete with commentary, DTS, and several documentaries, and that the US release was pretty empty, I was wondering if there are any other DVD releases that are better than the R1 releases we get. I have seen that the hit TV show CSI: Season 1 is available there but nowhere here. So I'm just wondering if there are any other better releaes

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ginger Snaps. OAR and lots of extras on the Canadian version. US version was bare bones P&S.
Also, I seem to recall that the Canadian Monsters Inc. ditched the P&S version and added DTS sound. Not 100% sure on that, however. DTS may only have been on Region 2.
Also lots of info here.

Clint B

Second Unit
Another Canadian release that is better than its US counterpart is "Good Will Hunting." The Canadian version has one more deleted scene than the US version, and the Canadian version is anamorphic while the US version is not.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
The Canadian eXistenZ has three commentary tracks and the fifty minute doc "The Invisible Art of Carol Spier".

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Also, I seem to recall that the Canadian Monsters Inc. ditched the P&S version and added DTS sound. Not 100% sure on that, however. DTS may only have been on Region 2.
No, it ditches the P&S and Effects only track in favor of a French track.

Devin U

Second Unit
Trainspotting is better in Canada. Deleted scenes and interviews with the director and producer. Supposedly, the US dvd has some of the dialouge dubbed to help Americans understand it better, and the Canadian release doesnt, but Ive seen the American release, own the Canadian release, and saw the movie in the UK, so my ears may be bad or there is no difference in it.

Tim RH

Second Unit
While I can't say how good the quality is, I know that Paul Cox's Innocence was just released here in Canada, but it won't have a US release until December.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
What is the quality like on Good Will and Existenz

also how informative are any of the commentaries on eXistenZ? I love that movie, and would like some informative feedback from the director

Also, Is Good Will Canada 16x9, one webstore says it's not

PatrickL

Deceased Member
also how informative are any of the commentaries on eXistenZ?
John, I'm an eXistenZ fan too and I think Cronenberg's commentary is very good and well worth seeking out. His speaking style is dry but he's talkative and highly informative about his directorial choices and the challenges specific to guiding this movie. LOTS of good stuff, including a mention of the alternate ending he originally intended for the film.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Patrick- nice! good to hear.
I'm getting it for x-mas, so it will be a nice treat to hear Cronenberg talk about this fab movie

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
LATE MARRIAGE, TIME OUT, and THE FAST RUNNER are also currently only Canadian titles.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Warning, disc 1 on the Canadian Brotherhood of the Wolf is maxed out with the commentaries, DTS track, etc. Because of this, the video greatly suffers from compression artifacts.

Although TVA is getting better, they still don't know everything there is to know about doing DVD right.

Jeff

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jeff,
are you sure?

because when Disney 'reissued'(or basically changing the DVD covers) alot of DVD's, they have marked them 16x9(anamorphic).
Disney has mistakenly mismarked the DVD covers.

like "Hand that Rocks the Cradle, is marked 16x9 and its not
"Metro" is marked 16x9 and it's not.

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Someone got it (Good Will Hunting)and confirmed it(16X9). Do a search for recent threads on GWH
I've heard reports to the contrary on another forum. They said the packaging is incorrect as it is non-anamorphic wide screen, just like it was before.

I don't know myself, as I'm in Canada and have the 16X9 Alliance Atlantis release, and the transfer is quite nice on it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have both dvd releases of Good Will Hunting and the Canadian release is definitely anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Robert,
But what about the US release??
I have seen the GWH DVD cover recently and it does say 16x9, but people have told me IT'S NOT, but others are saying it is.

Thanks for the conformation on the Canada release, I just might have to pick this one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks