What's new

Weekly Roundup 7/2 (Best TNG season ever...and a crazy redhead!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]To Boldly Go...to join Ricky's nightclub act![/rant]
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
1776 - Director's Cut____$22.46__$22.49__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy Season 1 V1__$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy Season 1 V2__$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Cheers______________$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Hill St. Bls/LA Law_$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: I Love Lucy_________$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Mary TM/Bob Newhart_$17.96__$14.90__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
ITG: Addams Fmy/Munsters_$17.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Jimmy Neutron-Boy Genius_$22.49__$17.99__$16.99__$17.99__$18.48
Old Gringo_______________$14.96__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Pearl Harbor - Dir's Cut_$29.99__$26.99__$29.99__$24.99__$25.98
Shallow Hal______________$20.99__$15.99__$16.99__$17.79__$18.48
Star Trek: TNG Season 3__$99.28__$99.99_$149.98__$89.99__$94.98
Teenage Caveman__________$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]
* Yes, it's finally time for the BEST season of Star Trek ever to be on-the-air: TNG Season 3. Without a doubt hailed as the best season's worth of episodes on any of the 27 seasons of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, STV, and ENT...Paramount has done us the singular honor of bringing them together in one terrific box set this week. Just in time for me to take a day off of work on Thursday and explore this set inside and out...someone bring me some BBQ off the grill; I'm busy! :D I can't wait to have The Best Of Both Worlds Part 1, Yesterday's Enterprise, Sins of the Father, The Most Toys, Deja Q, The Survivors, Captain's Holiday, and best of all...The Defector! Not a bad one in the bunch of 26 shows...the worst one was the "average" episode The Bonding, and even that had merit. A solid home run of a season, and a must-have for any Trek fan. :emoji_thumbsup:
* And for something very different, the pilot and first 7 regular episodes of I Love Lucy is also finally in-stores! And at a very moderate $12.99-$14.99 most places! I will highly recommend them, as I did in my own reviews (1,2) and as HTF's Ron Epstein did in his. :emoji_thumbsup:
* Something else interesting to TV fans hits this week...in Canada only! Smallville - the Superman-as-a-teen series that airs on The WB Network - has an R1 DVD coming out, but only north of the border. Due to syndication rights issues, it is not being sold in the USA at this time. But if anyone wants to try to import it, a link to an excellent Canadian e-tailer that I've dealt with before can be found at the TVShowsOnDVD site here, along with details about the release. I have my copy on preorder, and TVShowsOnDVD site owner Gord Lacey (an Edmontonian, or is that Edmontonite?) has his review copy in-hand already. He just got back from a long trip, but he'll post the review as soon as he can.
* A final note to TV-on-DVD fans is the new series "Inside Television's Greatest" (abbreviated as "ITG" in the Roundup above). A look inside the various shows featured on each disc (some of the look at single series, others pair up similar series), they are to feature behind-the-scenes information about how the sitcoms got produced and made throughout their successful runs. Each is available on both DVD and VHS (each format version costs about the same price), but the one featuring I Love Lucy seems to not be listed everywhere in the DVD format. I don't know why not; perhaps a rights issue crept up at the last moment and it was pulled. I'm not sure if it will be on shelves with the others or not; I hope it is. At about $15 each, I'm a bit interested in these, and many of you will be, too. Borders lists all of them at $13.99 each, so I'll look for them there first.
* Off the commentary and back into saving us all some bread: If you're not a Costco member and can't take advantage of the $24.99 price there, then go to Best Buy for Pearl Harbor Director's Cut - Vista. They will ring it up for $29.99, but give you a $5 BB Gift Card along with it. So it works out the same. EDIT: Craig S just pointed out that I had a mistake, but not the one he thinks! I goofed when I composed this paragraph...Best Buy has Pearl Harbor Director's Cut - Vista for $26.99 on sale, *plus* you get the $5 gift card. So the end result is a price BETTER than Costco's $24.99, making this a sweeeet deal! Thanks for the catch, Craig!!
* BB will also take $7 off the low price of Shallow Hal if purchased on the same transaction as one of these other titles: There's Something About Mary, My Myself and Irene, Say It Isn't So.
* Anyone who picks up Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius at BB will get on-the-box a demo disc featuring episodes of Nickolodean shows like Spongebob Squarepants, Dora The Explorer, Rugrats, Blue's Clues, & Rocket Power.
* Folks buying ST:TNG Season 3 at BB (or sister stores Suncoast, Mediaplay, OnCue, or Sam Goody) will get another bonus disc, but this one is :thumbsdown: for me. It's an "MP3 Audio CD" of two TNG novels read as a books-on-tape kind of a thing. The novels are "Crossover" and "Ship Of The Line"...and if you don't already know what those books are, then you probably don't care about this disc, either. I'll stick with the Costco price, myself!
* A final Best Buy note: They are again doing an "All DVD Players On Sale" thing, with prices starting at $59.92 for the Mintek 1600 (a featureless but reliable-so-far player). So if any of you are in the hunt for hardware, check it out.
* Target is showing "Low Price" for both Jimmy Neutron and for Shallow Hal. For the latter title, though, you can save $5 instantly buy purchasing SH on the same transaction as either Me Myself and Irene or There's Something About Mary.
* K-Mart has Pearl Harbor Director's Cut for $29.95, they have Shallow Hal for $19.95, and they have Jimmy Neutron for $19.95 plus you get a free Jimmy Neutron book with that purchase.
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Blacktop $24.98 $19.98
• Boycott $24.98 $19.98
• Children Of The Corn: Revelation / Children Of The Corn: 666 (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Cop Land / The Yards (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Dancing in September $19.98 $14.98
• Eye Of The Beholder (Special Edition) $19.95 $14.95
• Halloween: H20 / Mother's Boys (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Harmonists, The $29.99 $19.99
• Hellraiser: Inferno / Hellraiser: Bloodline (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Kolya $24.99 $19.99
• Mimic / Mimic 2 (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Powerpuff Girls: Down N' Dirty $19.98 $14.98
• Powerpuff Girls: Mane Event, The $19.98 $14.98
• Powerpuff Girls: Meet the Beat Alls (Reissue) $19.98 $14.98
• Powerpuff Girls: Powerpuff Bluff $19.98 $14.98
• Reindeer Games (Director's Cut) / Phantoms (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Scary Movie 2 / Senseless (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
• Temptress Moon $29.99 $19.99
• Wes Craven's Dracula 2000 / Russell Mulcahy's Tale Of The Mummy (2-pack) $37.98 $29.99
Other Price Reductions not listed at VideoTropics:
--------------------------------------------------
For a complete list of the two-packs listed in the above list of markdowns, check out this thread. Wal-Mart's been selling those two-packs and some others for $14.88 for a couple of weeks now. Personally, none of the combos appeal to me, except maybe the Mimic set, but you might find something you like in there!
Happy Canada Day to our friends north of the border, and happy Independance Day to our friends south of the border. Whatever kind of brew you imbibe on either day, be careful and safe. See you next week!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Dave, thanks as always for the roundup! Looks like you've got a typo in your table - you've got PH at BB for $26.99, should be $29.99 (as stated in your text).
Light week for me - only three titles: 1776, PH & ST:TNG 3. Wait a minute - that's 12 discs! Not so light after all... ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the correction, Craig...BB *does* have it for $26.99 plus the $5 BB gift card. I've corrected it in the Roundup. I appreciate it!

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I think the instore price of Pearl Harbor at BB is $29.99 (according to my flier. But you do get a $5 gift card with the purchase). The $26.99 appears to be the online preorder price.

So, I am not sure which price it will be marked in store, buy my bet is on $29.99 with a $5 gift card

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
CC once again demonstrates that they just don't get it. Every once in a while there's a big box set that they sell for full price while all around them others are selling it for far less. I think they did the same thing on the Godfather trilogy.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Pearl Harbor: Vista for 25 or less.
I Love Lucy on DVD for dirt cheap.
And now I see a Powerpuff price drop (convieniently in time for the movie release this Friday).
Thank you, David Lambert. I'm always rubbing these pricing deals I get in my friend's faces and I almost always owe it to you (with a lil' help from other members of the HTF, of course :D ).
Question, think you could just pricematch at Best Buy based on a printout of their website or of Costco's website?

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Not much of a week for me, but this DVD player markdown, is that in effect for next couple of weeks, because I need to replace the Playstation 2 as a player, because franky it a good system, but a bad player (layer changes probably, horrible remote, lack of features).

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
This is gonna be a busy week for me. Already have the Mimic double pack on order from DVD Planet($20.99), should arrive Monday. Also will be picking up 1776, Pearl Harbor, & Jimmy Neutron.

Joe

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's finally time for the BEST season of Star Trek ever to be on-the-air: TNG Season 3. Without a doubt hailed as the best season's worth of episodes on any of the 27 seasons
It's a great season, but have to disagree with you there David. DS9 seasons 5,6,7 to me are 1 piece, and the finest Trek ever done (Not so coincidentally, it was after Berman left the show alone to go do Voyager!)

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
According to the BB print ad, it's $29.99 for Pearl Harbor: Vista.

Apparently the $26.99 is a preorder price only...

However, you do get the $5 gift card, and the BB ad says something about a $10 "DVD Upgrade" offer by mail to owners of the original Pearl Harbor DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay...what it looks like the deal is with Best Buy and the price of Pearl Harbor - Director's Cut is this:
  • The in-store price is $29.99, but you get a $5 gift card along with it. "Card Giveaway Good In-store Only"
  • To make up for the lack of a gift card with the online purchase, they are taking $3 off
  • I bet someone who orders online and marks for in-store pickup will get both the price AND the card. Any takers on this? :wink:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Other responses here:
George, no CC does not get it. :crazy:
Jorge, you are welcome. I doubt the prinout will work for a pricematch, but you have nothing to lose by trying. Let us know if it works...so we can try it if it goes down!
Kenneth, these are rarely longer than a 1-week-only deal.
Jeff, to each their own! I loved Worf, but after he showed up on DS9 I think the series went downhill fast. Many disagree with me, though...you won't be the first!

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
FYE in my Mall, (Anderson SC) has Pearl Harbor DC for 22.99 on sale (perhaps mislabled) regular price 39.99. You should check your local branch as the price was honored.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wow, gotta be a mistake. That's the price for the 2-disc set. Huh, I sure hope my local location makes the same mistake! ;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll Disagree The series was at it's best post worf, but I don't credit it's success on Worf, but as others have said, Berman was off doing voyager (Into the ground)

But back to topic....

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Please...I didn't add the comments about S3 to start a debate. It is admittedly my own personal opinion, and even though I know that many share that opinion, I also realize that it's by no means universal.
I also know that folks either loved or disliked DS9 during the seasons mentioned. After Worf and the Defiant and The Dominion showed up, the show changed. Some say for the better, some for the worse. Since I *liked* what came before, then it's natural for me to feel it changed for the worse. BUT...
I did *not* make my comments about TNG S3 in order to turn the Roundup into a debate on either merits of DS9, or any other portion of Star Trek! :) I was excited about the new box set, and communicating that excitment to the crowd.
Let's just say that - in the face of opposition - I withdraw my comments, and now let's get back to discussing bargains. Okay?
We can debate Star Trek endlessly...but let's do it somewhere else! Thanks,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So how does this $10 DVD upgrade of Pearl Harbor work for those who bought the orignal incarnation of the PH DVD?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So how does this $10 DVD upgrade of Pearl Harbor work for those who bought the orignal incarnation of the PH DVD?
I believe there's a certificate inside the new fancy version that says you send in your purchase receipt for the fancy version, the proof-of-purchase from the fancy version, and the proof-of-purchase from the original version, and they'll send you a check.

The receipt for the fancy version needs to be within the dates listed on the certificate (i.e. those who purchased from street date violators are out of luck).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
At $89.99 Costco may prevent me from NEEDING to order TNG season 3 online this week from DDD on a pricematch. Better that I hold off this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks