What's new

Apple TV 4K official (3 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can’t imagine what you could add to the AppleTV from the perspective of users who just want high quality playback of prerecorded content.

Maybe more HTPC support like you said but that’s a niche of a niche, and the third party Infuse app fixes everything wrong with the native Plex app - and that’s a developer issue more than an Apple issue anyway.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I can’t imagine what you could add to the AppleTV from the perspective of users who just want high quality playback of prerecorded content.

Maybe more HTPC support like you said but that’s a niche of a niche, and the third party Infuse app fixes everything wrong with the native Plex app - and that’s a developer issue more than an Apple issue anyway.

Well, if it's truly high quality one wants, Apple should probably fix some existing software (or possibly streaming encode) issues... which probably won't need better new hardware for the most part...

I'm partly hoping they'll do that alongside the release of a new ATV4K.

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To be clear I personally don’t have any issue with any Apple created software on the AppleTV. I’m not sure if others do.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Infuse doesn't support Atmos for bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.

What about Dolby Atmos and DTS-X?

Infuse (6.3 and later) supports Dolby Atmos when using E-AC3 audio tracks.

We're also working to encourage Apple to add more flexible audio options which would provide support for DTS-X and additional types of Atmos, including TrueHD. More info on the ways you can help with this can be found here.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Lossless audio would be nice, but seems doubtful the various (video) streaming services and storefronts will provide that anytime soon, if ever...

This is probably mainly only useful for streaming from personal NAS setup.

Do people stream lossless hirez music (multichannel or not) thru these (primarily) video streamers?

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Lossless audio would be nice, but seems doubtful the various (video) streaming services and storefronts will provide that anytime soon, if ever...

This is probably mainly only useful for streaming from personal NAS setup.

Do people stream lossless hirez music (multichannel or not) thru these (primarily) video streamers?

_Man_
Which is why I have an nVidia Shield in my theater as well. :)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I Just Purchased a 4K UHD Roku smart platform Television and I have an apple TV device. Do I need to Purchase the 4K Apple TV hardware? Or will the Apple TV App Be sufficient ? I dont really do online gaming

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I Just Purchased a 4K UHD Roku smart platform Television and I have an apple TV device. Do I need to Purchase the 4K Apple TV hardware? Or will the Apple TV App Be sufficient ? I dont really do online gaming
If you want to view 4K material on Apple/iTunes then you need a 4K AppleTV device/app to do so.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

You could also try the AppleTV app on Roku though not sure how well it works for Roku that's built into a smart TV.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A Roku 4K streaming box (Ultra or Premiere) running the Apple app will display 4K material on a 4K display. However, I have no idea if the Apple app running on a Roku TV will do the same.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m having issues since the last Beta update on my Apple TV 4K.

My remotes don’t work anymore except the tiny Apple one. And I can’t get 4K from Netflix, just HD.

Anyone else having issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks