What's new

Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve got a weird crashing AppleTV. Anyone heard of AppleTV hard crashing in sleep mode and not waking up?

(I need to do some debugging and swap it with the either aTV and see if it’s actually the box or something with HDMI sync with projector. But that’s a nuisance and I haven’t had time. So, spending more time with the Nvidia Shield as streaming box When the aTV crashes.)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Both of my TV 4K units work flawlessly. I get random reboots on my two 3rd gen TV units, which at 8 years old, is understandable. They will both have to be replaced soon (or at least before season 3 of Mandalorian and season 2 of ST Picard premiere) since Disney+ has never been supported on them and now Paramount+ and YouTube have pulled support for the 3rd gen units.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ok. Just purchased a second ATV 4K and checked the Netflix stream and it’s still showing HD instead of 4K which is my plan.

Can someone please swipe down while watching a 4K show to check if it’s really streaming in 4K?

So frustrating.

I’m running TVOS14.4

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ok. Just purchased a second ATV 4K and checked the Netflix stream and it’s still showing HD instead of 4K which is my plan.

Can someone please swipe down while watching a 4K show to check if it’s really streaming in 4K?

So frustrating.

I’m running TVOS14.4

@Tino I just sampled stream the following movies/shows and all of them played back in 4K/Dolby Vision:

The Trial of the Chicago Seven
The Midnight Sky
David Attenborough A Life on Our Planet
Da 5 Bloods
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
The Irregulars (TV Series)
Stranger Things (Season 3)
Lost in Space (Season 2)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
@Tino I just sampled stream the following movies/shows and all of them played back in 4K/Dolby Vision:

The Midnight Sky
Da 5 Bloods
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Lost in Space (Season 2)
I don’t get it. I’m getting HDR and Dolby Vision but not 4K. Can’t figure it out.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just did a few more swipe downs and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is showing HD with Dolby Vision so there is a problem.
I don’t think Buster was ever 4K tho. It always showed as HD/DV to me.

It’s the other titles like Breaking Bad, Cobra Kai, any of their original programming. Hmmmmm

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

The Midnight Sky
Da 5 Bloods
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Lost in Space (Season 2)
Try swiping down on these titles. What do you see?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t think Buster was ever 4K tho. It always showed as HD/DV to me.

It’s the other titles like Breaking Bad, Cobra Kai, any of their original programming. Hmmmmm
I just swiped down Breaking Bad and Cobra Kai and both show 4K. I even tried Jessica Jones and The Queen's Gambit and both showed 4K/Dolby Vision.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sign out of NF and sign back in?

I’ve had to reset the video settings on my Atv everyday this week.
I put it to sd hdr but it keeps switching to 4K hdr.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Crawdaddy. All my other apps stream fine in 4K. I’m stumped.
This morning when I watched the latest episode of "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" on my other 4K setup with my 65" OLED, I sampled a bunch of Netflix stuff and had the same results as I did yesterday with my home office 4K setup with my 55" OLED.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Has AppleTV gotten an OS update in recent months affecting HDMI handshake or sync? My theater AppleTV no longer wakes up consistently. That HDMI chain goes through an Ethernet converter for the long run to projector. That converter can be quirky, but infrequently.

But the AppleTV has worked fine for over three years without this problem. No other device has this problem (TiVo mini, Shield, HTPC).

I swapped living room Appletv with theater AppleTV. The unit in the theater failed to wake up later that evening, while the living room unit behaves normally.

The problem is in the theater setup, not the specific AppleTV unit. But it’s specific to AppleTV, as my theater setup hasn’t changed and no other device has this problem. And it’s recent, after almost four years of normal functionality.

so, I think an AppleTV update broke something around hdmi syncing.

but I’m lost. And this is becoming a nightly hassle of having to pull the power cable to hard reboot the AppleTV.

Any thoughts or ideas?
@Dave Upton youve fought hdmi extender battles, right? Any ideas on debugging my theater woes?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I recognize I’m probably having a rare, niche problem. The kind of quirk Apple doesn’t care about. But any ideas, or if you’ve seen others mention possibly related issues elsewhere, you could point me in a new direction, would be appreciated :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recognize I’m probably having a rare, niche problem. The kind of quirk Apple doesn’t care about. But any ideas, or if you’ve seen others mention possibly related issues elsewhere, you could point me in a new direction, would be appreciated :)
For as long as I can remember, I've had a similar problem with one of my ATV, but it wakes up once I activate one of the buttons on its remote or my programmed Harmony remote.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I turned off sleep mode on my Apple TV 4K a long time ago. I was having issues getting it to wake up consistently and would have to hard boot the unit about once a week. Things have been much better without the device going into sleep mode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I turned off sleep mode on my Apple TV 4K a long time ago. I was having issues getting it to wake up consistently and would have to hard boot the unit about once a week. Things have been much better without the device going into sleep mode.
Don't think I knew that was an option. Will check that out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks