What's new

Apple TV 4K official (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And I assume that on the episode you bought, you checked to make sure there wasn't a hidden 5.1 track and it wasn't just defaulting to a 2.0 track?

I will double check later (not in front of the box right now) but I don’t recall seeing an option other than “English” when it was playing. But this is worth double checking for sure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just went through my iTunes digital library with film titles starting with the letter “A” which totaled 74 titles. The following six titles didn’t have any audio codec listed even when I scrolled down.

Aladdin
Alien director’s cut
Alien 3 special edition
Alien Resurrection special edition
Aliens special edition
The Artist

Angels & Demons listed Dolby Atmos when I scrolled down, but when played, it wasn’t in Dolby Atmos.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just went through my iTunes digital library with film titles starting with the letter “A” which totaled 74 titles. The following six titles didn’t have any audio codec listed even when I scrolled down.

Aladdin
Alien director’s cut
Alien 3 special edition
Alien Resurrection special edition
Aliens special edition
The Artist

Angels & Demons listed Dolby Atmos when I scrolled down, but when played, it wasn’t in Dolby Atmos.
Robert, that’s because none of those titles are available for sale anymore, so AppleTV hasn’t kept the specs up to date. The director’s cuts of the Alien movies are no longer sold as separates, but are now available in the “extras” in the theatrical versions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And I assume that on the episode you bought, you checked to make sure there wasn't a hidden 5.1 track and it wasn't just defaulting to a 2.0 track?

Double checked and there’s just one track that I can see: “English US”.

Oddly, it appeared to be playing back in 5.1 now, while earlier it was definitely in 2.0. I’m at a loss to explain any of it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, that’s because none of those titles are available for sale anymore, so AppleTV hasn’t kept the specs up to date. The director’s cuts of the Alien movies are no longer sold as separates, but are now available in the “extras” in the theatrical versions.
That's strange about "Aladdin" not being for sale on either Vudu or iTunes. Well, "The Artist" is still for sale on Vudu. It still doesn't explain the error I found on "Angels & Demons".

I'm going through my entire iTunes library and document which titles have issues with audio codecs. It might take me a while because I'm not going to sit there for hours at a time doing it. It might be one letter a day.

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
For TV, I always look at the Just Watch app to check what streaming services carry it. I wonder how 5.1 compares between iTunes & Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc for the same show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any Beta users having difficulty with the TCM app? I can't seem to be able to log into my TCM app, as it keeps saying my TV Provider is not connected to TCM. All of my settings has DirecTV listed as my TV Provider and that it's showing "On" when I go to Accounts in settings. Furthermore, I'm not having this issue with my two other 4KATV units which are not Beta and don't have tvOS 13.0. I've tried Reset and Update with no improvement as it still gives me the same error message. I might try a Reset and Update again, but will turn off Beta Updates.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any Beta users having difficulty with the TCM app? I can't seem to be able to log into my TCM app, as it keeps saying my TV Provider is not connected to TCM. All of my settings has DirecTV listed as my TV Provider and that it's showing "On" when I go to Accounts in settings. Furthermore, I'm not having this issue with my two other 4KATV units which are not Beta and don't have tvOS 13.0. I've tried Reset and Update with no improvement as it still gives me the same error message. I might try a Reset and Update again, but will turn off Beta Updates.
Anybody? I've tried a couple of Resets and still have the same issue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don’t run beta software if you need stuff to work. The recurring recommendation is to not run beta iOS or macOS because they’re really buggy and unstable this year. Seems reasonable to apply that to AppleTV too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don’t run beta software if you need stuff to work. The recurring recommendation is to not run beta iOS or macOS because they’re really buggy and unstable this year. Seems reasonable to apply that to AppleTV too.
I've tried to reset and stop it from being a Beta unit, but it still resets to the beta software. Anybody have any suggestions as to how I stop that?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone having issues with the Trailers app? Can’t get it to open.

Tried everything. Restarting. Unplugging. Deleting app and redownloading. Still won’t open.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Tried everything. Restarting. Unplugging. Deleting app and redownloading. Still won’t open.

If you're running tvOS 13 beta, the answer is yes yes yes yes and yes.

This latest version is so buggy I can barely use it. The Trailers app is part of it, yes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That problem sounds familiar to that same problem I'm having with the TCM app on my Beta unit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Running a beta is voluntary, right?
Yes. It’s something to do if you like using buggy software and sending feedback to help it get better.

If you are just looking for early access to new features, it’s risky. Reportedly, Apple released the public beta too early; it’s much too immature and data-destroying this year for all the normals that sign up just to get the new hotness three months early.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The new tvOS13 beta is out. Hopefully this will fix what ales ya.

Update: Don't get too excited...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The new tvOS13 beta is outs. Hopefully this will fix what ales ya.
Partially, I'm able to watch movies now on TCM app, but not all of them. For some reason Love in the Afternoon or Sabrina won't play, but I can play several other movies. Very strange!

The Trailer app is still messed up as it backs me out every time I try to access it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks