What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Partially, I'm able to watch movies now on TCM app, but not all of them. For some reason Love in the Afternoon or Sabrina won't play, but I can play several other movies. Very strange!

The Trailer app is still messed up as it backs me out every time I try to access it.

I now can't do the enter searches by voice thing...

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since my very first ATV years ago, the Trailers app has had issues. It used to freeze and buffer several times for each trailer. On my 4K it’s much better but still had some of those freezes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For clarification purposes, I have no problem playing the Trailers app on my other two 4KATV units with tvOS 12.3. It's only my 4KATV unit with tvOS 13.0 Beta that I can't access Trailers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Partially, I'm able to watch movies now on TCM app, but not all of them. For some reason Love in the Afternoon or Sabrina won't play, but I can play several other movies. Very strange!
The issue with the TCM app is not restricted to tvOS 13.0 Beta units. I have the exact same problem with my other two 4KATV with tvOS 12.3. Furthermore, I can't access the tcm.com/activate to activate the TCM app on my Roku units. Their website won't fully load so you can't type in your activation code. Looks like the TCM app is having issue all around again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wandering away from the bets iOS discussion for a moment...

Some of you probably know I just got my first, cheap 4K TV in the living room system. I can't get anything to stream HDR with the ATV 4K. I have limited streaming options, but I tried a couple Prime shows that say they're HDR. Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel. The bizarre ATV video options are set to 4K SDR with Maintain Source turned on. I also tried Video set to 4K HDR. the problem is, I don't remember if Maintain Source was turned on at that time. Neither played the most recent episodes of those shows with HDR. When I had Video set to 4k HDR, the menus would be HDR and once a stream started, it switched to SDR. This cheap TCL TV isn't really capable of true HDR, but it can accept and process it. I have successfully streamed 4K DV clips from the Dolby app on the TV. I haven't registered the TV's Prime app for my account yet, so maybe I'll try that next.

Maybe there's a setting in my Amazon account I need to change?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Wandering away from the bets iOS discussion for a moment...

Some of you probably know I just got my first, cheap 4K TV in the living room system. I can't get anything to stream HDR with the ATV 4K. I have limited streaming options, but I tried a couple Prime shows that say they're HDR. Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel. The bizarre ATV video options are set to 4K SDR with Maintain Source turned on. I also tried Video set to 4K HDR. the problem is, I don't remember if Maintain Source was turned on at that time. Neither played the most recent episodes of those shows with HDR. When I had Video set to 4k HDR, the menus would be HDR and once a stream started, it switched to SDR. This cheap TCL TV isn't really capable of true HDR, but it can accept and process it. I have successfully streamed 4K DV clips from the Dolby app on the TV. I haven't registered the TV's Prime app for my account yet, so maybe I'll try that next.

Maybe there's a setting in my Amazon account I need to change?

I don't get HDR on Fleabag or Mrs. Maisel, but I do get it on The Widow and Jack Ryan. Do you get it on those?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't get HDR on Fleabag or Mrs. Maisel, but I do get it on The Widow and Jack Ryan. Do you get it on those?
I'll give those a try. I looked it up, and both of those were listed as HDR on the site I found.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'll give those a try. I looked it up, and both of those were listed as HDR on the site I found.

Yes, they are certainly all listed as having HDR, but like you I could not get the first 2 to work whereas the others I could.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, they are certainly all listed as having HDR, but like you I could not get the first 2 to work whereas the others I could.
OK, Holy CRAP! Between Apple and Amazon's bizarre hoops, it's a wonder anything works, but I figured it out. On the ATV 4K, you set output to 4K HDR, AND Match Source to "On". What threw me with this is, it then shows menus in their awful, fake HDR. I mean, crap, how much would it take to simply make the menus real HDR instead of this flat, washed fake stuff. Then, when you play something that isn't HDR, it goes to SDR. Solution found.

Regarding getting Mrs. Maisel and Fleabag (for example) to play in HDR, if you added them to your watchlist when HDR wasn't enabled, it added the 1080 SDR version. So, you have to remove that version from your watchlist, look it up again, and add it back to your watchlist. When you look it up again, with HDR enabled, the title should be followed by "(4K UHD)" or it'll just put the 1080 version back in. It also seems to get kind of confused. I can NOT get the SDR version of Fleabag out of my playlist. Right now, both versions are in there.

I wonder how much stuff I have to remove and put back in order to see the best version available.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
OK, Holy CRAP! Between Apple and Amazon's bizarre hoops, it's a wonder anything works, but I figured it out. On the ATV 4K, you set output to 4K HDR, AND Match Source to "On". What threw me with this is, it then shows menus in their awful, fake HDR. I mean, crap, how much would it take to simply make the menus real HDR instead of this flat, washed fake stuff. Then, when you play something that isn't HDR, it goes to SDR. Solution found.

Regarding getting Mrs. Maisel and Fleabag (for example) to play in HDR, if you added them to your watchlist when HDR wasn't enabled, it added the 1080 SDR version. So, you have to remove that version from your watchlist, look it up again, and add it back to your watchlist. When you look it up again, with HDR enabled, the title should be followed by "(4K UHD)" or it'll just put the 1080 version back in. It also seems to get kind of confused. I can NOT get the SDR version of Fleabag out of my playlist. Right now, both versions are in there.

I wonder how much stuff I have to remove and put back in order to see the best version available.

I have my Match Content set to "off," which is highly recommended, and I definitely get Amazon HDR to play with it.

With it off, I get Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel without HDR, and The Widow and Jack Ryan with HDR.

I don't have a watchlist at all - just play from search results

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have my Match Content set to "off," which is highly recommended, and I definitely get Amazon HDR to play with it.
The problem with that is SDR stuff (specifically Hulu) plays back in fake HDR, which looks like crap. That is what I was wanting to avoid. As my previous post said, HDR stuff now is definitely playing in HDR. I think only seasons 2 of Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel are in HDR. I most positively disagree that Match Content should be turned off, from the experimenting I just did. When I originally had it set that way, the image on non HDR stuff was so bad, I turned off HDR entirely until I could figure out what was wrong.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The problem with that is SDR stuff (specifically Hulu) plays back in fake HDR, which looks like crap. That is what I was wanting to avoid. As my previous post said, HDR stuff now is definitely playing in HDR. I think only seasons 2 of Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel are in HDR. I most positively disagree that Match Content should be turned off, from the experimenting I just did. When I originally had it set that way, the image on non HDR stuff was so bad, I turned off HDR entirely until I could figure out what was wrong.
I wonder if the crappy look of the fake HDR has more to do with the display than anything else because on my LG OLED it doesn't look that way to me. Or, perhaps, my eyes are more forgiving than yours.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Completely ignore what I said - I mixed up on and off. It's been a long week ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if the crappy look of the fake HDR has more to do with the display than anything else because on my LG OLED it doesn't look that way to me. Or, perhaps, my eyes are more forgiving than yours.
That is entirely possible, since this is a cheap 4K TV, that isn't really capable of true HDR. It can just process it and remap it's very limited dynamic range. Real HDR looks very good, even though I know it's not the real thing with this TV. I won't really know until I replace the Plasma in my HT with an OLED. If the plasma doesn't die earlier, I think late this year or early next will be when that happens.

At the same time, I doubt I'll want the ATV's fake HDR even when I do have an OLED.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At the same time, I doubt I'll want the ATV's fake HDR even when I do have an OLED.
I have my ATV4K setting at Dolby Vision (24Hz) most of the time. I like the way it looks on my panel. However, when I get my OLED55C9P on Tuesday, I'll play around some more with the settings as there are more options with this model than my OLED65E6P display.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have my ATV4K setting at Dolby Vision (24Hz) most of the time. I like the way it looks on my panel. However, when I get my OLED55C9P on Tuesday, I'll play around some more with the settings as there are more options with this model than my OLED65E6P display.
I think it only gave me the option for DV at 1080p. I'll have to double check that tomorrow, but currently it's been 100 degrees today, and I don't have air conditioning, so I'm keeping cool in the basement until bedtime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it only gave me the option for DV at 1080p. I'll have to double check that tomorrow, but currently it's been 100 degrees today, and I don't have air conditioning, so I'm keeping cool in the basement until bedtime.
John,

What state do you live in?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

I here ya! This is at 8pm!

3556E90F-8B99-4169-B90F-A37728AA9DE0.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Today I tried the Photos app on the ATV4K for the first time. It works and I can see my photos. It doesn’t appear to have much ability to manipulate the photos, notably, I’d like to zoom in on an area of an image. I’m using my iPhone X and don’t see any commands or buttons to zoom in. I’ve tried the spread the fingers gesture and that does nothing.

Is zooming in/out possible at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks