5DD270A7-E7B2-439B-842E-767EB400CF42.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was using the microphone button last night to find music on my computer. I did have home sharing on and iTunes running. It was available because I could manually go there and play the music. However the search never found anything there. I even asked for “Roy Orbison on my computer” and it found plenty of stuff I could buy but not what was on the computer.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have a question about Airplay. When I use my iPhone or iPad it is using Bluetooth, correct? Also what quality of video/audio is being sent? Is it equal to what I might get off my computer via the AppleTV?

Thanks.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Airplay does not transcode audio in any way. It's uncompressed from the source to the Airplay receiver. I would assume that video is treated the same way.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn’t think Apple would allow it. I hope it’s soon. I enjoy the Prime Music and don’t want to subscribe to another.
Why wouldn't they allow it? Amazon Prime video is on the AppleTV, and certainly all music options from Spotify on down are on the iPhone -- it is strictly a matter of third party choice whether they bother to port it to other devices like the AppleTV.

...if only Facebook could bother porting Instagram to the iPad all these years later: having to blow up the iPhone version on the iPad drives me completely crazy...

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This things has this Siri search. You ask for something, like a movie, and it shows you were it’s available. Anyone know where it searches? I ask because so far, very few movies are free. And by free I mean already available to me via my Prime or Netflix subscriptions. I searched for Capricorn One (I was in the mood to slum) and found it on Prime. Hooray, I don’t have to pay more. Wrong, it required a channel subscription.

So has happle slanted the search to only find movies the cost?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Are you complaining that Apple can’t find shows for free that aren’t available for free? :)
No. When I make general searches, I seldom find free, or free with my subscription to HBOGO, Netflix, or Prime. So i’m Not really asking to find just free movies, but no additional charge movies.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OK, I just setup VUDU on my Apple. Signed in and V has a category of free movies. I searched for Chappie and 6 Bullets (or something like that) and it found both movies, all for purchase or rental. Found nothing on V. So either is has a bias or the search function is limited to where it can search.

The audio search function is quite good. It usually understands what I want. Until I asked it to find “Mud”. It never got the work mud. Jeez, a simple word and it couldn’t do it.

It will find content in HBOGO, it had no problem finding GOT. It will find movies in HBOGO. I guess it doesn’t search VUDU. Wonder what other streamers it doesn’t search?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks