What's new

Apple TV 4K official (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Isn't purchased iTunes video content physically downloaded to your computer? I've only bought one thing on iTunes, an episode of Frontline, and it's physically downloaded and stored on my computer. But that's my only venture into buying from iTunes.
We might be talking about different things.

I thought you meant HTPC ability, running eg Plex to play Atmos content from your server.

I no longer know the ins and outs of how AppleTV plays iTunes content. I assume UHD Atmos content is streamed. No longer downloaded to a desktop and played across your lan. But?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Isn't purchased iTunes video content physically downloaded to your computer? I've only bought one thing on iTunes, an episode of Frontline, and it's physically downloaded and stored on my computer. But that's my only venture into buying from iTunes.

It can be yes. And I suspect if you download a movie it will come only with traditional surround but I could be wrong!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sure you CAN use 3rd party tools to rip commercial DVDs, Blurays etc but Apple does not give you the tools to do so. AFAICT there is no Atmos support in MacOS as of yet so the answer remains the same: no, not within iTunes but maybe 3rd parties will support.

Final Cut, Garage Band and iMovie doe not support making your own non commercial Atmos tracks at this time as far as I know.
The relevant question is whether third party AppleTV apps, like my beloved Infuse Pro, be able to play Atmos content via their AppleTV apps. The Mac or a NAS would simply need to store the unedited DVD/Blu-ray content as they do now. I should check and see if there were 2028 WWDC tvOS session and whether Atmos was discussed.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes and no. Up to 1080P movies it would download everything, certainly including 5.1 audio, but 4K iTunes movies are streaming only. As far as I know this was part of the deal Apple made with content providers: it would allow Apple to convert old 1080P purchases to 4K automatically, free of charge to users/buyers, but the 4K version would be stream only. I suspect (zero evidence) that they would do the same with Atmos.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
To answer my own WWDC - tvOS Atmos question - no (not yet).
This seems to be the only tvOS related session: Check out Live Screen Broadcast with ReplayKit from #WWDC18 https://developer.apple.com/wwdc18/601

But, I can see that there were 4K - HDR sessions between WWDC 2017 & 2018 via Teck Talks - see: Check out Authoring 4K and HDR HLS Streams from #wwdcapp https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/501

Maybe a similar thing will happen with Atmos - or maybe not.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The relevant question is whether third party AppleTV apps, like my beloved Infuse Pro, be able to play Atmos content via their AppleTV apps. The Mac or a NAS would simply need to store the unedited DVD/Blu-ray content as they do now. I should check and see if there were 2028 WWDC tvOS session and whether Atmos was discussed.

As I said Netflix and Vudu are works by today for some users in the developer beta

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fingers crossed. I follow Emby, and there’s no discussion on this yet. Past comments make me think there won’t be any possible support until official release and people start banging on it.

I really hope for it. AppleTV 4K could become my theater client and shift my PC ago server only. And it would be a trivial swap with the current HD AppleTV, with no wiring changes or remote control programming changes. It would be very nice.

Downsides would be loss of DTS and loss of 24p refresh rate switching (I think).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As I said Netflix and Vudu are works by today for some users
Which specific Netflix shows/movies support Atmos? (irrelevant to me in the near future as I don’t have a receiver that supports Atmos - but I am curious at how wide spread it currently is)

Unrelated: the next to last ATP podcast said there were rumors that the HomePod was originally being designed as the speakers for the much rumored but never released Apple HDTV.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Which specific Netflix shows/movies support Atmos? (irrelevant to me in the near future as I don’t have a receiver that supports Atmos - but I am curious at how wide spread it currently is)

Unrelated: the next to last ATP podcast said there were rumors that the HomePod was originally being designed as the speakers for the much rumored but never released Apple HDTV.

Okja and Cloverfield Paradox were early ones, more now I'm sure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okja and Cloverfield Paradox were early ones, more now I'm sure.
Those must be supported by specific equipment as neither the latest Roku nor AppleTV units supports Dolby Atmos on Netflix. I've tried both this morning. However, I can play Dolby Atmos on various movies on Vudu using my Roku unit.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Those must be supported by specific equipment as neither the latest Roku nor AppleTV units supports Dolby Atmos on Netflix. I've tried both this morning. However, I can play Dolby Atmos on various movies on Vudu using my Roku unit.

Are you running the latest developer beta @Robert Crawford ? I edited my comment to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Last Jedi UHD DV. I only have a few, I am just now getting into this movies anywhere, digital copy stuff. It is crazy, they have a huge spreadsheet on how to redeem a digital copy because it is all convoluted lol.

I bought a Synology NAS with two drives, have the ATV, going to put infuse on it for media playback, and have the new Dune Player Pro 4K on order. I'm done buying discs, and I am not paying $5 for rentals either. Digi copy purchases from disc buyers are the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks