What's new

Apple Releases new Apple TV 4k, adding HDR10+ (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just added 4K add on option to our YTTV and found out the Atv4K we got in 2018 doesn’t display full 4K.
Only displays 1440p.

Only devices after 2020 will display 4’k from YTTV so that stinks.
Also found out my just as old Firestick dongle does full 4k.
🤷🏼‍♂️

Is that limitation somehow actually intrinsic to the hardware and can't be addressed via software update?

Is that just YouTube TV or also the regular YouTube app too?

Wonder what the heck YouTube or their TV app is doing for that to be the case... and whether that could also end up happening for some other services/apps...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’d guess hardware since the current Atv4K does have the full 4K on YouTube Tv

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gotcha. I had no idea people were actually paying for that. I suspect it will be in Google’s graveyard before years end
Hard to go wrong betting Google will kill a service. But, almost assuredly not this year for YouTube TV. Alphabet is investing big on it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Gotcha. I had no idea people were actually paying for that. I suspect it will be in Google’s graveyard before years end
YouTube TV is actually the only live TV service that is actually growing its customer base. See here. We dumped Comcast cable TV for this service earlier this year and are saving $70 per month.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was thinking of upgrading my Apple TV 4K, but now I am not so sure:

Apple TV 4K 2022 64Gb.jpg

This is a scratch and dent from Amazon Warehouse. WTF???

Amazon does not have any new-in-box available from them directly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Deleted....
I don't understand what you're saying. Apple's site says I can order one and have it tomorrow. Maybe that's shipping from the store in Boulder, CO.

...oh, you want to buy from Amazon. Doh, I read it twice and saw "Apple" both times. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Looks like Costco has a 3rd gen for $100

Today is the last day for that.

Was literally there yesterday and didn’t even check. Have plenty for me, but would have picked one up for a family member. Excellent box.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Atv4K the 3rd set up was so simple.
All I had to do was log into the apps. They all pretty much appeared on the Home Screen.

A couple things on this new remote.

Some services when you pause will put a little circle up on the timeline. Then you can “spin” the ring on the remote to get a finer ff and rw option. I don’t see this spin option on Disney+ but it is on Paramount + at least.
Also and it may have been there on the old remote but if you tap the middle of the circle and hold it for a momeant the time switches to tell you the time the movie will be over instead of the time left in the movie.
So if you start a movie at noon and it’s a 90 minute movie, touch and hold the middle of the circle on the remote for a moment and the time will show the movie will be over at 1:30, 90 minutes later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks