What's new

Apple iPad 2 buyers and owner's thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's quite useful for business travel, esp. when I don't want internet access otherwise brought to a crawl with VPN to use Outlook proper. Also for those that travel with a personal laptop and need work email access.

To me, the practical reason to buy Android over iPad is if you need access to a Windows network: RDP or OWA. I'm now waiting for a good Android tablet to tell my dad to buy since the iPad will not work for him with his Remote Desktop usage.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OWA is about the ugliest anti technology I've ever used, and I've used a lot of bad programs. Actually if you ask me all of the below should DIAF:

-Outlook

-OWA

-Exchange

-Vista (prior to the last SP)

-Sharepoint

I'd like to clobber the people who love Sharepoint the most. Biggest pile of steaming junk I've ever used.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tell us how you really feel about Microsoft, Sam.

Unfortunately, those of us in the corporate world have to use what the company has implemented.

Thanks for the browser suggestion, Kurt. However, the lack of tabs isn't really the problem with OWA on the iPad -- trying to navigate within the screen to select items is just very cumbersome. As I said earlier, I've just resigned myself to continue using my Ubuntu netbook at the office, as it does exactly what I need it to do.

On the bright side, I've successfully converted some Blu-ray movies for viewing on the iPad. I've been able to convert SD-DVD's in the past for viewing on my Android phone (and that same method works fine for the iPad), but had not bothered to look into BD conversion until now. I'll not say any more, as I do not want to violate HTF rules.

For movies, it is unfortunate that the iPad does not have a widescreen display. I feel like I've gone back 10 years in viewing letterboxed films on an analog 4x3 TV. When traveling, though, we watch more TV shows than movies (most of which are 4x3 aspect ratio), so the screen format will not be a huge issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't hate Microsoft, just their networking technologies, OS, and group sharing tech. Unfortunately Microsoft is beholden to their past and it will be the death of them. You can only keep putting new shades of lipstick on the pig for so long.

Oh, I forgot the one product I hate the MOST! Gaming for Windows Live. What a huge piece of steaming steaming steaming user-hating junk.

I love Xbox. I kinda like Media Center, especially the XBMC implementation. I think Windows Phone 7 had potential but they've blown it. I would have been a Courier buyer day 1 if it had matched the potential of the leaked videos. Do you see a pattern here? Starting over is good.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something has be baffled on my (original) iPad. I've been downloading some free podcasts, like the Sunday Morning political shows, Bill Maher and so on. When I sync the iPad to iTunes on my computer, it obliterates the titles of the podcasts, sometimes just to numbers or other code. What the hell is going on?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The only real grr for me is that I hate the smart case. It does nothing to protect the back of the case. I've been using my ipad1 case, which I quite like but the ipad2 is quite loose in it. I'm looking for more Ruffe Ed but not outrageously expensive options.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Though it doesn't have magnets, my wife likes her case pretty well. Like that it spins for either orientation.

http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=THZ045US&PageName=Targus%20for%20Mac&productCategoryId=-1&bucketTypeId=194&searchedTerms=&navlevel1=products&cp=undefined&bannertxt=for%20Mac%20Cases%20%26%20Accessories

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

Though it doesn't have magnets, my wife likes her case pretty well. Like that it spins for either orientation.

http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=THZ045US&PageName=Targus%20for%20Mac&productCategoryId=-1&bucketTypeId=194&searchedTerms=&navlevel1=products&cp=undefined&bannertxt=for%20Mac%20Cases%20%26%20Accessories

I'm not so worried or amazed by magnets. I want something that can cover it and make sure the back of the thing doesn't get scratched to hell.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Isn't there a Zen koan along those lines: if a thing is kept beautiful but never seen, is it really beautiful?
:)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Anyone having issues syncing videos from computer to the ipad2? Gives me an itunes error and closes itunes. I know the videos are correct format because they were taken on my iphone 4. Going to do some research to see if i'm the only one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
With the new TV Season just started this past week, I missed a couple premieres that I forgot to record. So I tried for the first time to load the NBC and ABC apps. I really wanted one for CBS, but only TV.Com had an app for CBS. I never tried one of these before and it worked great on NBC, I was able to see one premiere I missed. But CBS didn't have anything and the TV.com app only would show the network's released short one or two minute clips of that series. On checking the CBS website with safari on the iPad, I saw the same limited offerings. It was only on my Mac that the CBS site would stream a whole episode. Did I miss another option for the iPad to view full CBS shows? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks