What's new

Apple iPad 2 buyers and owner's thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife has spent part of the evening setting up the iPad, getting iPad versions of her iPhone apps, showing me glimpses of various apps. She's excited about some of the shopping apps, like the Target app. Some, like ToDo, aren't universal and we'll have to buy the iPad version.

My initial reaction is the same as when I first saw an iPad a year ago: gorgeous design, but 10" is kind of small and I wish the screen were higher resolution. :)

I'm looking forward to playing with it more extensively once it's configured. I hope things work out this year, so I can get one of my own.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I got one. Called the apple store in Christiana Del and she said that have them, so I shot down and picked up a wifi+3g 32g verizon. Verizon seems to have more 3g options. I'm discovering a lot of apps aren't ipad optimized yet. Very surprised that FB is still not ipad ready. I can't seem to get the ipad to charge though, the little charge symbol just says not charging.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Plug it into the wall with the included AC adapter.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

The iPad requires a non-standard power level from a USB port. Apple has custom USB ports in its newer computers that support this. But an older Apple or Windows computer may not. And, as we've found, this power is not passed through the Apple keyboard's USB port.

We can charge plugged directly to our 24" iMac, but not via the keyboard (which is less convenient to us), and also through the wall plug.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Guys got my Ipad 2 friday. Overall I'm not too happy with it, the Size, speed is nice but the screen is terrible lacking. Compared to my Original its terrible washed out and not very vivid. I'm not getting any appreciable light leakage, but there might be a faint hint of the yellow banding issue. I was'nt expecting a better screen but want one that is as good as the last. I was going to give my Ipad 1 to the niece. So now it's give her the ipad 2 and and I can use the original. Or take back the 2 , pay the restocking fee, and get the macbook Air 11" I've been eyeing which could take on alot of the IPAD 2's duties.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Reviews have said they're identical. Ours is very vibrant-- too bright if anything. Perhaps you have a defective unit? I'd check with Apple before giving it up.

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
Ye I agree, the screen shouldnt be any worse on the iPad2, it not something as simple as the brightness setting is it? Then again, I'd rather have the 11" MacBook air too.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I am looking for a remote desktop solution for my iPad. I mostly want to be able to view videos from my computer, control iTunes when it is wirelessly streaming music to my HT via Airport Express, and stream iTunes music from anywhere. Most of the programs I have found have not talked about this from a HT enthusiast perspective so I figured I would come here and cut out the proverbial middle man.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
TonyD said:
I got one. Called the apple store in Christiana Del and she said that have them, so I shot down and picked up a wifi+3g 32g verizon. Verizon seems to have more 3g options. I'm discovering a lot of apps aren't ipad optimized yet. Very surprised that FB is still not ipad ready. I can't seem to get the ipad to charge though, the little charge symbol just says not charging.
I use Friendly for FB. The only thing I wish it were able to do that it does not is handle fan pages. I take care of ours at work and when I want to check it on the weekend I have to be at a computer. I got an iPad to break that chain!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by JustinCleveland

I am looking for a remote desktop solution for my iPad. I mostly want to be able to view videos from my computer, control iTunes when it is wirelessly streaming music to my HT via Airport Express, and stream iTunes music from anywhere.

Most of the programs I have found have not talked about this from a HT enthusiast perspective so I figured I would come here and cut out the proverbial middle man.

With iOS 4.3 and the iTunes app, you can stream iTunes content on your home wifi network.

You may need something like the Sonos player to stream content outside your home network. I'm not very knowledgeable about this, so hopefully someone better will comment :)

Again, this isn't my thing, but there are a number of Remote Desktop apps (I've got some interest in the Windows Remote Desktop tools). Searching the App Store should find something.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Ooh, I may have to do some more digging on the network streaming.

There are a bunch of network apps out there, but I was hoping someone had experience with any and could provide a recommendation. Most of the internet reviews are business-related, and I have little need for those applications.

Thanks, Dave.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Justin, here's a starting point for one type of screen sharing. http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/14/first-look-avatron-air-display-for-ipad-extends-your-mac-screen/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
JustinCleveland said:
TonyD said:
I use Friendly for FB. The only thing I wish it were able to do that it does not is handle fan pages. I take care of ours at work and when I want to check it on the weekend I have to be at a computer. I got an iPad to break that chain!
Is friendly the name of an app?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well after a few more days if anything it just has a tad less contrast I'm getting used to it and will keep it, but I'll sell it like a hot potato when a Retina screen comes out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
She really likes it :) I've spent a little time with it. But I've found it's such a personal, single-user device, that I won't use it much until I get my own. I've been looking for a cookbook app, to put my favorite recipes in. But I'm unimpressed by the options, so I'm going to make a PDF doc instead and use iBook as the recipe app :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I got my IPAD 2 first day and LOVE it!!

I got the 64GB Black non 3g. Can't get enough of it. Thanks for the charging tips as I was using my itouch charger.

My favorite app is THE DAILY.

Next stop...a MAC.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My iPad2 arrived on 4/4/11 (64G Black with 3G AT&T - grandfathered $29.99/moonth unlimited data transferred over without a hitch!). Very, very nice. I have two covers (hey, I didn't go for all 13(?) of them so let it go) the Red Leather one and the Blue Polyurethane one.) The covers are very flexible in use with a lot of functionality. That's one of the things that people want to see when they first notice the Red "case" on my unit.

And Sandy now has my iPad1 and she is very, very happy.

The 2 is a lot faster in many ways, especially graphics rendering. Apple took a great product and re-invented it even better. Garage Band is now a hoot with the touch screen and the little that I've used iMovie shows me the potential for some fancy professional looking editing thanks to the touch screen implementation.

Two big thumbs up (Take the rating system of your choice.)

to Apple for this one.

They will sell mega-millions of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks