What's new

Appeal to Fox RE: Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto Movies (1 Viewer)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I don't think any of us would object if Fox were to license these to another company for release -- they've already brokered a deal with Criterion for a few other titles, or so I've heard (including Naked Lunch). If Criterion didn't want to handle them, other candidates might include Image (or quality companies that release through Image, such as Milestone and Fantoma), Kino, Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, All Day Entertainment, perhaps even Flicker Alley, whose sole DVD offering to date, 1928's The Garden of Eden, met with very flattering reviews.

So if Fox is reluctant to put their name on, or make money from, these films, a licensing deal seems the obvious solution. And if a profit margin is out of the question, all the better for the company to whom they license -- they'd only have to share such profit with Fox as recooped the studio's cost in preparing and delivering the materials. Restoration costs have already been absorbed by Fox (written off if they truly have no intention of releasing these films, but I hope that's not the case), and so shouldn't be passed on to the licensee. :) I can't believe Fox, or any other studio, believes there is any theatrically-released film in existence that should not be seen by anyone, including those who specifically wish to see it (fans), so leaving these films on the shelf makes little sense. Either release them directly or license them, but make them available to the people for whom they were made in the first place: the moviegoers who want to, and will, enjoy them (as I mentioned in an earlier post, historical context isn't rocket science -- such things are remarkably easy to understand, and so there's little reason to suspect those who specifically seek out these films are going to find them objectionable and protest their release; if Fox must, put a warning sticker on the outside of the box; if it works for objectionable material in the recording industry, hey ... why not here? But it is an absolute necessity, a deal-breaking standard, that no alterations be made to the content).

In post #12, I suggested possible commentary supplements, and I'd still love to see (or rather hear) these, but even if the films are made available sans supplements, such would be better than not at all. And once again, if these series' are released in their entirety, they would represent purchasing priorities for me. :emoji_thumbsup: As would just about any major studio product from the late silent and early sound period.

Chuck Wood

Grip
Let me add my two cents regarding this "controversy"; All Fox has to do to counter the "activists" (whoever they may be) is to point out that Mr. Moto was smarter, cleaner, better dressed, more polite and a better fighter than any round eye in the cast!! This is an excellent series! I saw all of the films back in the sixties when they ran on tv, and became a great fan! Lorre was terrific and all of the films had style and panache! I would buy the entire set in a heart-beat!

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Insightful post Bill.

I actually e-mailed MPI last week asking if there were any plans to license these films from Fox. My thinking was that MPI licensed the 2 Sherlock Holmes Rathbone Fox films and the 12 Universals (all of them restored by UCLA) for a series of box sets that already have gained great reviews so why not go after Chan/Moto?

Alas, there are no such plans. Hopefully one of the smaller labels such as the ones Bill mentioned will be given a shot at this.

I would prefer Criterion not do anything with these (nor do I think they would). $39.99 for each Chan film doesn't make for a happy bank account.

Chuck Wood - I know what you mean. I was very excited when FMC started showing Motos because I'd never seen the entire series and the ones I had seen were from years ago. Now, I may have to seek these out in the collector to collector market.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that several individuals who deal in "collector to collector" sales of the Chan & Moto films have very recently gotten "cease and desist" notices. Sometimes this is the result of commercial product coming out.

I hope that's the case here. In my letter to Mr. Staddon asking for these films to be released I pointed out that these films were huge sellers in the grey market (obviously I didn't name any). I also expressed my strong desire to send my consumer dollars to Fox for these films.
Believe me, if these films come out I will not only buy a set for myself, but extras to give as gifts.

I'm sure this will come up at the upcoming Fox Chat, but putting a bug in the ear ahead of time can't hurt either :)

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
Please Fox, release Mr. Moto and Charlie Chan on dvd.I agree with everyone on this forum. We've waited long enough!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi,

Here's a thought - Universal is packaging their Abbott and Costello and Ma/Pa Kettle films in very affordable sets featuring dual sided DVDs (4 films per DVD).

Surely the Charlie Chan films, which at the most run to 75 minutes could be packaged by Fox this way without sacrificing quality. Using the A&C model, the entire Chan series could be released in 3 volumes. If the A&C pricing model was used, I'm confident Fox would be quite pleased with the results.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks