AOL to charge money for Aim?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, May 6, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I got this message, spam or not, sent to me in my inbox. Considering this is AOL, I wouldn't put it past them. If anything, they should charge people to download the program, rather than charging for the service. Many people will just flock to the next best thing..

>>
    AOL is thinking about charging money for the use of AIM($7.95/ month) , they maye start charging
    sometime in july.
    Due to its popularity they can cash in on it big time!Lets prevent this from happening!Ive made an online
    petition, click the URL below to place your vote and stop AIM from becoming a paid service..
    Thank you for your support!

Vote here>>

Any truth to this?

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm pretty sure this is spam. With the fact that there are a host of other messenger services out there that are free, charging for AIM makes zero sense. Plus this line right here: "Due to its popularity they can cash in on it big time!Lets prevent this from happening!Ive made an online
    petition, click the URL below to place your vote and stop AIM from becoming a paid service.." kind of gives it away that this is someone trying to see how many sigs he can get. Real petitions, organized and with defined goals, are much better represented and outgoing messages are better thought out.

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

That is an old hoax that has been making the rounds since around 1998. Ignore it. [​IMG]

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I got this by IM from a friend in early April:

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    aol thinking about charging for the use of aim is like the home theater forum thinking of charging for the use of the forum. glad that idea was put to rest right quick.

CJ

7. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Tony are you related to Ed Whalen?

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Well, I use Trillian, because it allows you to use AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and IRC all in one IM program. To me they are all the same, but some people are limited by what IM programs they are allowed to use at work. Trillian solves the problem of which one to use to contact people.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

15. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

I love it. I've been using it ever since someone pointed it out to me about 2 years ago. They have free and pay versions. The pay version has extra features that go beyond the regular IM capabilities (mainly through plug-ins).

Most people I know that use any IM software have pretty much switched to Trillian, even if they only use it for their AIM buddy list.

http://www.trillian.cc

16. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Is Trillian named after the companion from Doctor Who?

17. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

No, but maybe because there wasn't a Doctor Who companion named Trillian? (Try "Hitchhiker's Guide" instead.)

Anyway, AOL/TW is a huge multinational corporation that is going to either collapse from its own weight or break apart into smaller corporations either spinoffs or sold outright. They're already starting to sell Ted Turner's sports teams, and didn't they sell Warner's DVD manufacturing plants?

AIM can't charge a fee as long as MS Messenger is free.

18. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    plus, its not like aol doesnt benefit from aim because they dont charge for it. those ads they put on it bring in quite a bundle, plus ive noticed even more popup ads since installing it again. if they charge money for it, i'll just stop using it, no way i'll pay for it. its just a convenience to me, paying money would be inconvenient.

CJ

19. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Yeah, Trillian is named after a character from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series.

And Trillian doesn't have pop-up ads to annoy you while interfacing with AIM. I can't believe people would actually use the interface when something better and compatible is readily available.

20. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

Well, Trillian certainly is better and not just because it doesn't try to annoy you with popups. Having all the skinning options and a cohesive package for all the major IMs out there is great. I don't know anybody who has seen Trillian and NOT switched over to it. Immediately.

But compatibility is another issue although it's been relatively stable for the past few months. For awhile there you had to download a patch every few weeks as AIM changed something on their end and it took awhile for Trillian to catch up. Yahoo was really hit-or-miss until the last patch.