What's new

Anything new in speakers that excites you these days? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I haven't bought speakers since 1997 when I bought my Paradigm monitor 7s, ADP CC and Di-pole surrounds. Haven't looked at soeakers since and they have moved into my new home and kick just as much ass here.
I'm looking for a similar set to wire up my basement theater, finally settled enough that I can work on that. I haven't heard much about speakers lately, so pretty much planning on buying the best set of Paradigms I can get for a reasonable amount unless someone twists my arm into doing something else.
I might get an SVS sub to go with it, will have to check into them, but Ron and crew have always been big supporters of HTF and I've loved what I have heard from them at our meets....
So anything worth looking at? I'm hoping to get all 6 boxes for under $2k but I'm somewhat flexible on that.,...

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have the Paradigm Studio 100 V5 along with Studio 20 (rear) and ADP for the sides. Out of all the speakers I auditioned, I found these the best sounding with an excellent sound stage and very revealing, the mid range is very smooth and natural. I was originally going to for the Signature series, but the cost was just too high. I would love to hear that byrillium (sp?) tweeter though. The set I have will run you more than 2K.

I auditioned Focals, B&W, Def Tech and a few others. Unfortunately, it's not like the old days where you could audition a plethora of speakers but I had to choose from what I audtioned as I will never buy a speaker without an audition first.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I love my Axioms. I've also heard that they sound similar to the Paradigms since they are both based on the Canadian lab's testing (whose name I'm too lazy to look up). If that's true, you might want to audition both as Axioms are a bit cheaper.
I know the next time I buy speakers I'm going the other way and auditioning the Paradigms just to get the comparison out of my system.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think there's anything new that "excites" me. And I don't have enough experience with better speakers to know the difference anyway but I have been setting my sights a little highr up the ladder recently.
I had some Swan Diva's for a few years which were fine speakers and gorgeous to look at but it was time for something different. I've also had some Infinity Beta's for some time which are excellent for the price on the used market, but I want something more.
So, I've had a few different speakers lately, all bought used from the usual places.
Revel Concerta's which I thought weren't that much better than the Infinity Beta's they're based on to justify the higher cost.
Some Swan D3.2 Dulce's. The towers and surrounds were fine but the center speaker just didn't sound right. I should have replaced the tweeters with some HiVi Q1R's (a direct replacement) but I didn't want to sink more money into them.
I found some rather rare Swan F3B's which were much better (to me) than the Diva's. Deep bass, smooth highs and a planer tweeter. But they were wide and low to the ground and I though finding matching center and surrounds would be tough. Found some two days after I sold the F3B's. Should have kept them.
Polk LSi7's which sounded fine but didn't have enough bottom end for my two channel music. Thought about trying some LSi9's but couldn't find any for the right price. LSi 25's have the side firing woofer which I was sceptical about and I didn't want to get stuck with some towers I wasn't fond of. But those Vifa tweeters are really very nice. Definently a step above what Swan and Infinity were using.
Next up are some Dynaudio's and maybe Paradigms, but I have to do a lot more research on the various models so I know whether I'm paying a fair price or not. I might try some unusual speakers like DCM's or some of those coaxial KEF's or even a speaker kit from Seas or GR Research. I'd also like to hear some Aperion Versus speakers.
Then the real boutique brands like Salk and Philharmonic Audio. There are so many brands out there I'd love to hear. Not enough time, not enough money :( .

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
I might get an SVS sub to go with it, will have to check into them, but Ron and crew have always been big supporters of HTF and I've loved what I have heard from them at our meets....
Tom V is no longer with the company. Ron S plays an "important role" according to the new owner if you do a little Google searching.
Tom's new company - http://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/team

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This thread about parallels your thoughts :) . It's a long read but an entertaining one.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/297610/how-to-buy-new-speakers

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, I'm going to admit to something that ten years ago, I would have thought not possible. I sat down the other day and listened to the new Martin Logan Architectural (in wall) http://www.martinlogan.com/architectural/electromotion/index.php and I was blown away. Blown away.

A few years ago, my wife campaigned for me to consider in wall/in ceiling. And I said no. Everytime I listened, I just wasn't very impressed. But I sat down and had a chance to listen to these with a good sub and was just blown away. I've heard freestanding that were better - but not a ton of them, and I've not heard a bookshelf better. If this kind of quality was available in an in wall years ago, my livingroom would be very different, and I doubt I'd regret it at all.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sam, way back when I auditioned speakers it came down to Paradigm and PSB. I ended up going with PSB (may have been more for budgetary reasons, but I can't be sure) and have never looked back. I've now got a pair of Image 6Ts in front, matching center and a pair of bipole surrounds (and an ancient pair of alphas for rear surrounds). If you'd like to audition them in person, let me know. I'm not that far south of Aberdeen (in the White Marsh/Perry Hall area).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jason I tried setting up a rotation of MD HT meetups but didn't get much traction, I remember you posted in that thread. The White Marsh Imax is now my go-to theater, so I'm down there every once in a while! Will gladly take you up on your offer, just name the time! PMs might be best for coordinating that.
Matt: I'm pre-wired for 5.1 so no going in wall for me. Glad you have found a set you like tho!
Gene: Thanks for the heads up on SVS.
Everyone: thanks for your input. I'll probably go to the big two stereo spots up in Delaware in the next few weekends and see what they are showing off. Both have the higher end Paradigms and I'd like to compare them to the latest generation of Monitor 7s.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Robert_J said:
Tom V is no longer with the company. Ron S plays an "important role" according to the new owner if you do a little Google searching.
Tom's new company - http://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/team
So.... I still see great reviews of SV's subs but looking at their product page it doesn't look like they are carrying the full surround sound packages that DaveF ultimately chose in the thread Gene linked to. Huh.
Looking at a few websites it seems that Paradigm is still kicking ass in the price/performance race.
I really like the setup of the ADP-350s shown here:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/paradigm-monitor-series-v5-speaker-system
Problem is that I am going to have to hang them off a wall that only goes down about a foot off the ceiling on one side. That's going to pose a challenge no matter what I put there and I know it's not going to be optimal to the sound having that big open area instead of a wall.... Was thinking maybe direct radiators might be better in this case. I will post a picture showing what I mean.
Series 7 is getting good marks too.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-paradigm-monitor-series-7-speaker-system?page=0,0
Will look into the PSBs, is this the set you have Jason?
http://www.hometheater.com/content/psb-image-t6-speaker-system

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/325146/anything-new-in-speakers-that-excites-you-these-days#post_4001005
Will look into the PSBs, is this the set you have Jason?
http://www.hometheater.com/content/psb-image-t6-speaker-system

The towers and C5 center yes - not sure what changes (if any) have been made since I got mine about 8 or 9 years ago. My surrounds are these: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/image/Image-S5-Surround and my subwoofer is a Paradigm Reference Servo 15 I got through a buddy of mine that used to work for Dolby in San Francisco and got it at his corporate discount.

Will PM you more info...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
So.... I still see great reviews of SV's subs but looking at their product page it doesn't look like they are carrying the full surround sound packages that DaveF ultimately chose in the thread Gene linked to.
There are more companies that supported HTF. Chad from Epik Subwoofers was a frequent poster here back when he ran Ascendant Audio. There are a few guys from Hsu Research here. Danny from GR Research is active at other forums as well as Mark from Seaton Sound. If you want a sub from a company that you can speak directly to the owner, those are the ones to go to.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thank you for the Demo Jason! I checked a few places in DE today, none had the PSBs but a few were closed.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Monitor 11s, CC-3, Direct Fire Atom Radiators in the rear....
The sub is a mystery still tho. I'd love to support SVS because of the support they have shown HTF, but if none of the guys we know are still there....
I'll likely go with the SVS or the Paradigm
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder
Seriously tho, Paradigm has 15 different subs to choose from now?
http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/subwoofer

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
My pleasure, Sam. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice. In terms of subwoofer, mine is the now discontinued Paradigm Reference Servo-15 and it's more sub than I'll ever need (it's only dialed up at most 2/3 of the way right now). I got it through a friend and so didn't pay near retail for it - not sure I could have ever justified the asking price for it at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks