What's new

Anything comparable to Axioms at the same price point? (1 Viewer)

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
I know there will be alot of recommendations for Dahlquists, but they are out of my price range.

I will get the Axioms through their outlet store. I'll assume the prices are in american dollars, because it doesn't say anything. But the company is in Canada, so maybe someone can just verify that for me, thanks!

M60Ti $720
VP150 $315
QS8 $423
----------
total=$1,458 free shipping

Comparable Dahlquist setup from audioshop

QX9A $1,300CAN ~ $1,000
QX60CA $550CAN ~ $425
QX7A $800CAN ~ $620
-------------------------
total=$2,045 + shipping from canada(could be alot).

So anything in the $1,500 price range that I should consider? Just got my H/K 525 to power them.

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
Look at http://www.speakerpage.com/ and http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/. I've never heard the RAD Micros, but I have heard good things about them, and based on the quality of their other offerings, I'd say you'd be in good shape with 5 of them in a surround setup. RAD also sells towers, if you prefer those.

If you go for the Micros, or other bookshelves from RAD, I'd go with a different sub than the one they sell in their 5.1 setup, though - something from Adire, SVS, Acoustic Visions, HSU, or maybe even something custom-made by RAD based around a good Adire, Dayton, or Stryke driver would work nicely.

Best,
Peter

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 8 line.
The most comparable system would be:

Diamond 8.4s F/L, $550 a pair
Diamond center, $150
Diamond DFS dipole surrounds, $230 a pair

$930 total retail, or I know an e-tailer that will give you 33% off those prices plus shipping expenses.
I have'm and couldn't be happier at their price point.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
If you order 5 items from Axiom Audio (Keep in mind, a pair of speakers is considered two items), you get an additional 5% off. So, knock roughly 65-70 additional dollars off your total amount.

TosH

Agent
At that price range, you could step away from the budget Wharfedale Diamond series and move up to the Wharfedale Pacific Evolution series which is a totally different ballgame. For example:

Mains - Pacific Evo-30 $695
Surrounds - Pacific Evo-DFS $295
Center - Pacific Evo-Centre $295

Total with shipping would still come in under $1500.
ww.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/

Some e-tailer links:
ww.reliableaudiovideo.com/whsp.html
shop.store.yahoo.com/sstheater/wharfedale.html

(Sorry about the missing w in the first 2 links)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, Polk is not even competetive with Axiom in the price range. The Paradigm Monitor line is close, but not price competetive vs performance. NHT is also a bit more expensive, but will be more cometetive and even have a somewhat similar sound.

I haven't heard the Wharfedales, but my Paradigm dealer just started carrying them so I will soon.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There are no authorized on-line dealers for Paradigm; I'm not sure about Polk, though.

Cooper_B

Agent
I own both the Paradigm Mini Monitors (v. 1) and the Axiom M22's. I lived with the Paradigms for about 1.5 years and liked them, but would get occasionally annoyed by tweeter brightness. Also, I got the feeling I was missing some of the resolution from my Yamaha CDC-775, judging by my occasional headphone listening.

Let me assure you that the M22 ($400 new) was a step up from the Paradigm in every way ($350 new). Balance is much more neutral: I haven't once noticed any brightness or laid-back quality since the break-in period. Quality of the finish was a bit better: among the best vinyl you can get on speakers, and available in four different colors. Axioms are not as heavy per cubic inch, but they say they don't need as much reinforcement because of the wedge shape to eliminate reverberation. And above all, resolution was simply superior.

I am pleased as punch with my speakers, and there is no tax, no shipping, and good customer service. Don't forget the custom finishes that are available, which look very nice. I just ordered a VP100 center channel last Wednesday, and arrived the next Monday from Canada.

-Cooper

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks