What's new

A Review Of My New Axiom Speakers and SVS 20-39PCi (long) (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I did a double take when I saw your tv. I have the exact same tv right down to the velcro for the mattes. I wonder if your friends have given you as much s... as mine have for having those on your tv. However, the ones who have seen the difference understand why I use them.

I am also getting ready to buy a bigger set. DVD's just look way to small on that set.

David Head

Second Unit
Thanks Martice. I am rediscovering all my old redbook CDs and appreciating SACDs in a whole new way.

Sheldon,

Yes, I've got some s*%t initially about the mattes...until I put them on and have people watch. Then they're amazed at the difference. The RCA TV has actually been pretty good, but I'm looking forward to getting a widescreen at the end of the year.

David

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
David, have you ever demoed the Axiom M22s? If so could you tell me if you think the m60s are any more laid back than the 22s are? Currently running the 22s as mains and thinking bout swapping them for towers. So, any feedback on Axiom bookshelves vs towers would be great.

Thank

David Head

Second Unit
Robertto,

I have not heard the M22s. I had the opportunity to listen to M3s and M60s before I ordered mine when I visited relatives in Canada.

What size is your room? You might want to input the room dimensions at Axiom's website (in the design a setup link) and let them recommend what to do. I've read that they will recommend the M22s pair with a good sub for small rooms.

David

DennisMc

Grip
David,

Great review. You've heard both the Axioms and Rockets. Did the Big Rocket RSC200 outperform the VP150 ?

Dennis

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
I have the VP 150 and have auditioned the 200. It's not so much how they compare, but rather how they match up to the mains they are running with. The Onix was much more laid back than the 150, and went much lower (basic mechanics of the drivers should tell you this). But more importantly they did not match up at all w/the 750s(that's the large Rocket floorstander, right?). But I am not sure how the ctr and mains where set up (small vs large). And supposedly the 750s take ages to break in and once they do carry the lows much better as well. So consider my opinion with those points in mind. I will say imaging on the Rocket's kicked a$$ though. Much better than my M22s.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
David, have you ever demoed the Axiom M22s? If so could you tell me if you think the m60s are any more laid back than the 22s are? Currently running the 22s as mains and thinking bout swapping them for towers. So, any feedback on Axiom bookshelves vs towers would be great.
I haven't heard the M22's, but from what I recall of at least one person doing a comparison, the general impression was that the M60's were "similar but better" compared to the M22's; ie the M60's have a similar mid/upper range performance, albeit slightly better midrange because of the 3-way design. And of course the M60's have greater dynamics and better bass extension. The M60's are not laid back speakers, I'd describe them as neutral or maybe slightly forward sounding, though not really bright (with the occasional exception of certain poorly mastered source material, which the M60's can be pretty unforgiving of, same as the M22's).

David Head

Second Unit
DennisMc,

Thanks! The RSC200 is a very impressive speaker. I agree with Robertto's assessment that it was more laid back and went lower, but I don't notice that with my VP150 because I have it set to small and let my SVS handle the bass. I also wondered about how well the 6.5" woofers on the RSC200 would integrate with the 5.25" woofers on the RS750s, but found that the soundstage was very even during the DVDs we demoed. We did NOT listen to any multi-channel music, so I can't comment on that. I would give the nod to the RSC200 for dialog during a movie over the VP150 because of the better dynamics and the tendancy of the VP150 to occasionally emphasize sibilance on certain soundtracks. The VP150 is still a very nice center channel, but the RSC200 is better IMO.

David

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent review. I've been seriously considering the Axioms for my next purchase, but I am concerned about the talk about the brand is slightly forward. I want something neutral or a bit more restrained. Perhaps I'll give them the 30-day, but I don't want to add costs to Axiom if I already have reservations. Wish I could hear them first.

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
IMO the Acxiom's are bright when compared for example to Paradigm's Reference series, and the Rockets. I have the m22s and the vp150 as mentioned above and sometimes wish they where a littel more laid back. One other option is to call Mark from Audioshop, he sells Axioms and has recently been talking up a brand called Dahlquist. He is a great guy and would give you some honest opinions and a good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks