What's new

Dahlquist or Axiom? (1 Viewer)

FrankHW

Agent
CurtisSC,

I should have worded my post more clearly...it did come out not entirely making sense. What I was getting at with the Doppler effect point is that movie soundtracks are mastered to mimic the way effects would sound in a real environment. For example, a helicopter flyby in a movie soundtrack is recorded differently in the front and surround channels because that's how it would sound in real life (because of the Doppler effect). Since there's already a tonal shift mastered into the software, I would argue the effect of mismatching the speakers front to back would be small.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to weigh in on the timbre matching subject.

Timbre matching is essential when it comes to the mains and center. However, surrounds are far less critical when it comes to timbre matching....especially if they are of bipolar design. If the surrounds are direct, then timbre matching becomes a little more critical,IMO. The QS8's, due to their quadpolar design, are even less critical then bipolars. You should be able to find posts on this forum regarding the successful integration of Axiom surrounds into an existing system of another manufacturer.

I suspect this is due to the fact that Axiom offers a 30 day trial. During the course of the trial period, I am sure it is commonplace for the auditioner to have multiple systems they are considering in their home, including even their buddy's gear, for the purposes of A/B comparison. During this time, there are those that might prefer something else over the Axiom, with exception to the surrounds. With that in mind, they experiment with using the Axiom surrounds with another system of choice and end up liking the result. While I am not suggesting that Axioms are the only surround speaker that people have integrated successfully....they seem to do it rather well and many swear they are the best surround out there.

As far as Dahlquist goes.......never heard them but heard very good things about them. If you are worried that the Axioms will sound too bright, then you should be equally worried about the Dahlquist's. Both are generally regarded as a more forward speaker and I believe I have read a few posts where the two were regarded as being somewhat similar, soncially (with the Dahlquist offering more bass extension). I wouldn't let all the 'bright' talk scare you away....what some refer to as 'bright or forward' translates as clear and detailed to others.

Best of luck.

RobCole

Grip
I'm talking to Marc about the Dahlquist QX10's and QX60C right now; I am going to try to get his opinion on the QX20R vs. QS8's, despite the fact that he seems less than happy with Axiom in general right now. :)

Rob

RobCole

Grip
Received the speakers today. Initial impressions follow. :)

First of all, I'd have to say that I'm not 100% accustomed to the "audiophile" market. I've grown tired of my old speakers (Acoustic Research) and decided it was time to step up.

Most of the listening I've done so far has been in 5-channel stereo. I have the 20R's set to diffuse mode; the center channel is on top of the TV, angled down toward the ideal listening position (couch), and the QX10's are approximately 8' apart.

First of all, the soundstaging is amazing. On two live CDs (Live Art -- Bela Fleck & the Flecktones & Live Wide Open -- Martin Sexton), it is near impossible to pinpoint the direction of the sound. I'm listening to Martin Sexton's studio CD Black Sheep right now, and I feel surrounded by the music. It's simply beautiful.

The clarity is perfect for my ears. On live recordings, I can hear everything; closing your eyes makes you part of the performance, instead of listening from home. I can hear details that I've never heard before -- the sound of a microphone shifting, instruments that simply weren't there before have appeared -- subtle sounds of percussive instruments, the sound of a brush on a snare drum...

The best test so far, though, has been the "wife" test (or in my case, g/f test). I put a CD on for her, and her first question was which speaker she was hearing...she couldn't pinpoint the sound at all. She sat with a huge smile on her face, which is surprising considering the amount I got mocked for dropping $1600 on speakers. I'll file this one in the "I told ya so" category. To boot, she loves the Piano black finish on the QX10's -- these are gorgeous speakers, in every sense of the word.

All of this, of course, is before the speakers have "opened up." Marc recommended about 80 hours of listening before I really judge the speakers. It's gonna be a fun 80 hours. :)

For anyone considering buying a new 5.1 setup, this is definitely a direction I'd recommend. I'll post more details when we watch some movies.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks