Axiom or Swan?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg Labate, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Greg Labate

Greg Labate Stunt Coordinator

I've narrowed my choice down to: Axiom or Swan

Here are the systems I've selected in my $1,500 budget:

Axiom
    EP175 Subwoofer (10")$500
    M3 Bookshelves $275
    QS8 Surrounds $470
    VP150 Center $350
    Total: $1450 (w/discount)

Swan
    Sub10 $399
    2.1 BCs Bookshelves $299
    C3 Center $349
    R3 Surrounds $429
    Total: $1476

These will be used in an average size room, primarily for home theater. I'm looking for a full, rich sound. I really want a good center channel for movies.

Questions:
    Anyone compare these two systems?
    Anyone check out the same system with Axiom M22tis instead of the M3s (which would increase the Axiom price to $1625?)

Please, no more sugestions for other brands... just comments on comparisons between these two systems re quality, value, sound, etc.

Thanks!

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

3. FoT

FoT Auditioning

i've heard the swan 2.1 and axiom m22ti in my room...i prefer the swan real wood veneer finish over the vinyl veneer of the axiom. while the axiom finish is one of the nicer vinyl veneers i've seen, it still looks and feels like vinyl. regarding build quality, the swan 2.1s are hefty in weight (about 30lbs each) compared to that of the relatively light axiom m22ti (16 lbs each). this means that the axiom uses lighter weight material for their cabinets, less bracing or their drivers use smaller magnets or maybe a combo of all.

regarding sound quality, i preferred the swan 2.1 over the axiom m22ti. the axiom m22ti was just too bright and thin sounding in my rooom w/ my gear. for $299, the swan 2.1s are a great deal. just my $.02...

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm a big Swan fan, love mine, and would reccomend them to anyone. Regardless of which brand you go with, however, I would reccomend other subwoofers. Something from SVS maybe. Their new PB10 is available for $400 and their entry level cylinder model starts at $550.

5. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Stephen.....Swans paired up with an SVS....that is an awesome sounding HT.

I have my 2.1's and C3 running with an SVS 20-39PC+ and it sounds nothing short of amazing. They can play so loud without lasering your ears off!

6. Greg Labate

Greg Labate Stunt Coordinator

I don't think my room config is not good for the Swan R3 bi-di-pole surrounds. Any surrounds would have to be mounted at least 5 feet directly above me on a flat wall. So what do you recommend for surrounds? Should I just go for another system that dos nmot have special surrounds?

7. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I'm not a big fan of dipoles anyway....so I would go with the 2.1's for surrounds. You can either buy some mounts for them or make some shelves (which is what I did).