What's new

Anyone want some Rockets?? (1 Viewer)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Holy Moly! 250s, 100 CC, and a UFW-10 for $1300! That has got to be the best HT value on the market at this time.

Edit- Maybe not I just looked at the specials again and 150s with a UFW10 for $100 over ELTs is pretty sweet too.

I bet that is putting a hurt on ELT sales and making previous ELT buyers upset.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Chris,
I bet that is putting a hurt on ELT sales and making previous ELT buyers upset.
I wouldn't quite make that statement as the ELT will outperform the 150/100/150 combo when it comes to HT IMO. The ELT center is a better choice in that price range than the 100 as the 4 way design of the ELT has the edge on the M-T-M design of the 100. Keep in mind that 70-80% of the information in a movie is coming from the center so a great center with good mains will sound better than a good center great mains everyday of the week IMO. The 150's do have an edge in extension when it comes to 2 channel listening and the ELT mains need a sub as they roll off pretty fast below about 70hz. For my $$ I'm going with the ELT system if my usages are primarily HT...:cool:

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Bob- On further reflection I've come to the conclusion that the success of the ELT is putting the hurt on 150, 250, and 100 CC sales and that is why AV123 has needed to slash the price on those by 50%.

Your own post indicates that in your opinion the ELTs a better value for HT than either the 150 or 250 when packaged with the 100 CC.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I'm in agreement with Chris.

I have heard both(I own neither) the ELT's and the RS150. IMO, when either is matched with good sub(not the ELT sub), of the two, the ELT is a much better sounding speaker/system, for music and HT.

I would not be surprised if the 150, 250, and 100 were to be replaced by "sig" models much like the RS750 has been, or even all new models.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
You guys will get no argument from me on the performance of the ELT system. However, I don't think the Holiday sale is soley based on the success of the ELT system. The 250's,150's, and 100 are still great performers that will stand toe to toe any day of the week with anything that you will find in a B&M at that price. Even I couldn't pass up that sale as I picked up a pair of 150's to use in the bedroom. :cool:

I do think that people are smart enough to recognize the exceptional product that AV123 has brought to the table in ELT. Heck, even ACI was smart enough to get in on the action and distribute the ELT system as it is the best HTIB on the market today IMHO.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
I had a choice of ANY center on the market and I picked the Rocket ELT. It's just a GREAT center for the money - so Im sure that we ELT owners aren't very crabby at all :)

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Wow great price for those 150s. I wonder how they would do for surrounds? I have Paradigm Monitor 9s and a CC-370. My fear would be timbre matching.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
IMO timbre matching is more crucial laterally ( from left to right across the front or across the back) than it is front to back. However, many purists here would disagree, and with good reason because it's not ideal to have non-timbre matched rears and mains. Personally if I were in the market for rears I wouldn't sweat it too much unless the difference were night and day. Having owned Monitor 9s but not having heard Rockets I can't tell you if that would be the case.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Yohan, I was thinking the same way you are. From sitting around on this forum, left-center-front seems to be the most important and I'm fairly set there. For rears, I was thinking Mini-Monitors. The only reason why I consider having the Rockets as rears is that so many people have compared their sound to Paradigms which leads me to conclude that they are pretty close in character.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'm not one to sweat front to back match. The exception being if you're interested in the new surround music formats(DVD-A or SACD) then it becomes very critical.

Eric C D

Second Unit
I'm not one to sweat front to back match. The exception being if you're interested in the new surround music formats(DVD-A or SACD) then it becomes very critical.
IMO it also matters for concert videos in DD 5.1 or DTS. And some movies make more use of vocals from the rear speakers. I don't think it mattered at all with the original DPL though...

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Well, I did it. At the expense of horrible mismatched speakers, I couldn't resist the siren song of RS150's for $250 shipped. Worst case scenerio, they can be relagated to another room and I'll get some Mini Monitors. I'll let you know how bad they sound together when everything is setup ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks